Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 02:38 PM

13 posts, read 30,665 times

Advertisements

I have not worked outside of the home for over 15 years. Well, occasionally, I have done some cashiering and other minimum wage type jobs for a little spending money.

I have a Psychology degree, but have never used it.

We are getting by on what DH brings in, but it would be so nice to be able to put more in savings, and have the money to travel a bit.

But, being out of work for so long, is the situation hopeless for me? Honestly, I felt overwhelmed just looking through some career websites. I feel completely out of the loop.

Would it help if I went to an employment agency instead of trying to do this on my own?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 02:46 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
If you are just looking for extra income, temping would be one way to get back in, knock off the rust, and get a positive reference.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:09 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Temp agencies were great when there were lot's of jobs, not sure how they are now but it wouldn't hurt.
Also, chat up the people at the places you go to now. One of my friends got a job at her veterinarians office as a part time receptionist, and I sometimes see adverts for jobs at local owned shops and businesses. Look locally, in newspapers or local job boards, NOT the big online sites. Since you want to travel you probably don't want a full time job with a bunch of responsibilities anyway. I went back to work after 20 years and it's a part time job that had tons of turnover before I got there. Everyone is so happy now.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:31 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
If you do not go out there and look you will never know what is out there. Start locally - grocery and retail stores, small companies, temp agencies. One step at a time and do not get discourage if the first application does not pan out.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:36 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,654,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Old Bread View Post
I have not worked outside of the home for over 15 years. Well, occasionally, I have done some cashiering and other minimum wage type jobs for a little spending money.

We are getting by on what DH brings in, but it would be so nice to be able to put more in savings, and have the money to travel a bit.

But, being out of work for so long, is the situation hopeless for me? Honestly, I felt overwhelmed just looking through some career websites. I feel completely out of the loop.

Would it help if I went to an employment agency instead of trying to do this on my own?
You can use employment agency as well as look for something on your own as well as your local state job service office.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:27 AM

629 posts, read 1,721,315 times
It's definitely not hopeless. With over 300 million people in this country alone it's a virtual certainty that many people with much more difficult circumstances than yours have re-entered the workforce and found great success. It all comes down to how bad you want it.

Look into local employment agencies that may have some job skills classes or training, temp agencies, part-time work, anything to get yourself back out there. Don't be too reliant on the internet and online job postings, but actually get out there and pound the pavement so to speak.

Don't get frustrated if it doesn't happen right away, just use those experiences as a way of learning how you can better sell your skills next time and you'll be back in the game in no time.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:17 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
If it's just for extra spending money, minimum wage is better than nothing. Here that's $9.32. Several people in your situation that I know have easily gotten jobs at the local supermarket, gas station store, or department store. The lower paying jobs have a lot of turnover, and you do have cashiering experience.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:57 AM

129 posts, read 237,093 times
Try your school district. They are always looking for food service workers.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:13 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Old Bread View Post

My local community college has a course in Career Skills that was developed for people who hadn't worked in years or just wanted to learn new things and boost their confidence in the working world. It was a great class and I recommend it to my older, re-entering the workforce, friends. They teach everything from computer use to interviewing, resume making, personality evals, etc. etc.. It's only about six weeks so you might want to look into it. Other schools may call it by another name but I have seen the same program in different states/community colleges.

As for actually looking...don't check out the career websites. It'll just depress you. You can go to your local temp agencies, etc.. The good thing about temp jobs is that you can pick and choose jobs...at least I could when I worked temp jobs...so if you wanted a week off to travel, you could take it. It shouldn't be too hard to pick up a part time job since the turnover can be pretty steady. I guess it mostly depends on what you want to do, what type of job you want and if it's just for 'extra money' it doesn't really matter if it's cashiering or whatever. As long as you like doing it.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:20 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frado View Post
Try your school district. They are always looking for food service workers.
I thought about that before I got the job I have now. It would've been great to have weekends, holidays and summers off. What stopped me was the fact that I'd been working in food service for over thirty years and wanted OUT of it. But I think it would be a great job for anyone not burnt out on food service.

I also thought about being a school bus driver. After thinking that one over I decided I am not up to dealing with bus loads of kids multiple times a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics