Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 07:59 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvoron View Post
The figure is misleading. You should not include all population into calculations of things like this one. If you include children or students, your numbers become irrelevant. The more relevant figure would be to see net worth of working adults with at least 5-10 years of work experience.

Post 49 helps with better data

Age 35-44 median was 44k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 08:49 AM

2,404 posts, read 4,401,994 times
Not to turn this into a political conversation, but I wonder how changing to a single payer healthcare system would affect the amount people need for retirement.

Healthcare is the wild card when it comes to retirement savings.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:15 AM

1,855 posts, read 3,609,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
Not to turn this into a political conversation, but I wonder how changing to a single payer healthcare system would affect the amount people need for retirement.

Healthcare is the wild card when it comes to retirement savings.
It's an interesting question, worthy of serious consideration, particularly when you consider the US median net worth ranks at the bottom of almost every modern industrialized state, all of which have national health care systems (and pretty decent pension systems).

http://econintersect.com/wordpress/w...07/z-temp3.png

Old 07-03-2014, 09:20 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Even if that's the case it's still a pathetic number on average. Built up equity only helps if you are going to sell, move and live elsewhere

Unless you need a home equity loan on a property that has a lot of equity. What about paid off rental property that produces a positive cash flow every month?

Old 07-03-2014, 09:34 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Unless you need a home equity loan on a property that has a lot of equity. What about paid off rental property that produces a positive cash flow every month?

A heloc isn't something you should live on, does it help in a jam? Sure but then after it's created it's no different that carrying a mortgage.

On the rental that's nice but a completely different topic. Positive cash flow is beneficial but you would have to compare that to the same dollar figure invested as the value of the real estate, minus expenses. It is a different beast than your primary residence though

Old 07-03-2014, 09:38 AM

2,404 posts, read 4,401,994 times
I think that the home equity part of the retirement equation is something to be considered, but I think that the majority of retirees don't move unless they are forced to. After spending 20 to 30 years in the same house I don't think that older folks are willing to move for extra retirement money. If they are forced to sure, but I think the majority will not move. Familiarity and comfort are very important issues to retirees.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:38 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,098,599 times
Excluding homes - a common practice, but not a realistic one. There is an enormous difference between someone that owns a 250,000 home free and clear with 15k in the bank and someone that rents with 15k in the bank.

It would make sense to assume they needed to have their home paid off, and perhaps to look at it is the amount of networth the person has beyond the cost of a reasonable home in the area they intend to require in. Renting in retirement is for people that will die very quickly.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:18 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,222 times
Pensions, those must have been nice!

Old 07-03-2014, 11:01 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times
Unhappy Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation is no guarantee of full pension payment

Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Pensions, those must have been nice!
Not if you relied on it, and now find the system is bankrupt. For better or worse, many corporations ended pensions in the '90s, so they are really only common amongst people over 50.

Even for funds insured by PBGC, when a plan fails only 85 percent of pensioners receive the full amount of their promised benefit. And PBGC itself is underfunded.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:24 PM

106,649 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
You can't trade a home for a different asset class, but couldn't you tap into that equity with a HELOC or reverse mortgage? It's not something I would do, but it's an option that makes a house more useful.
not without borrowing money and having the burden to pay it back you can't. in fact i was able to enter in to one of the greatest real estate partnerships of my life only because i rented and did not have my money tied up in a house anymore.

no way could i have done the deal if i had to take a loan and worry about paying that money back while the investment was in the early stages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics