Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2014, 10:57 AM

2,485 posts, read 2,218,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Totally think people want less to do with others today. Go into any bar today and you'll find most patrons just browsing their phones. When I've tried to strike up a conversation, a lot of people will just say something terse and go back to whatever they were doing. It is very rare to find anyone willing to talk on any level.

When I asked for a spot while squatting this weekend, it was hard to find anyone without their earbuds in. Ten years ago, I saw the same people in the gym all the time, and we'd talk to each other while lifting.

Society has become extremely PC. We have to watch what we say so much for fear of retribution that often we say nothing at all, or what we say has little meaning. I hold a lot of strong opinions that many find controversial and constantly have to reign myself in because I don't know whose toes I will step in. When I was in high school and college, I didn't need to reign it in like I have to now as a working adult.

I'm no nihilist and try to remain optimistic, but I don't like the direction this country is going. Without being needlessly political, I don't think we are going to see much meaningful correction until this administration and Congress are gone. Most common people have no faith in government to the right thing, many have little confidence in business, religious institutions have lost a lot of credibility in the wake of sex abuse scandals, and traditional neighborhoods and family structures are breaking down.
Many revitalizing urban areas have a lot of people but not much a sense of community. Much of this is a transient population centered around enjoying restaurants, boutique shops, and cafés. The community bond is consumer materialism. That is very different than a neighborhood of middle class people raising kids, attending meetings, and filling park benches. Today, many urban spaces have become an international airport environment. People are anonymous, on their tablets, refuse to say anything that might be controversial. But you see loads of people in trendy restaurants who don't know a thing of the person next to them.

How they seek out other like minded people? They use a phone app. They search based on a list of criteria and gps locations. They set up an appointment and go meet with people that way. Much of socialization occurs on the web.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 10:54 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
How much money do you need to feel powerful? The top 15% is about $115,000 and up (household income). My parents would have thought they died and went to heaven with a paycheck like that.

If you're trying to keep up with Bill Gates, it doesn't go very far.
115K a year would be great for me, too. But I don't crave power so much. But other people do.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:17 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Ah, there's not going to be any fighting or anything like you describe./
Off subject but I can't resist responding to your reading of the future.

I just laughed. A couple of hours ago I was watching a film made in the 1930s about some British citizens vacationing in a mythical eastern European country when their train was stopped by some armed military types.

One very dignified chap said, "Well, they just need to understand we are British subjects and there won't be any trouble." He stepped off the train waving a white cloth and was shot dead.

I imagine all those Brits hiding in the underground every night while their German neighbors dropped bombs on them were pretty shocked by the turn of events.

Nope. Fighting is so last century now.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:18 PM

701 posts, read 1,097,132 times
My girlfriend and I were discussing this the other day. Neither of us have children, or want any. Another thing neither of us have is job stability. We are both doing "okay" by most standards, but not "great," and again, neither of us knows how long "okay" will last. I have had to relocate twice in the past year to stay working. In the midst of my current relocation flurry, I mentioned that I could not possibly imagine how anyone could have children when it was so unbelievably hard to take care of oneself without any dependents. She mentioned the fact that she is, to some degree, by supporting her niece and nephew. She puts money into accounts for them, because her brother is constantly complaining about how broke he is, and how much children cost, how hard it is to support a family, etc.

So that is one solution if you really want children, just count on others to bail you out.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:37 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
Well, we both worked our way into good jobs and made sure we could afford it before we decided to have kids. We have a nice (but not large) house and my truck is 9 years old. It all becomes an expense that we have budgeted for. We also staggered our kids ages so that one went out of daycare as one went in. So we only have one daycare bill.

It's tough regardless, but their needs come first. And honestly, we kind of stopped caring about having $1 mil in the bank, $500k homes, and $60k cars. We are content and enjoy our kids so the rest is pretty trivial.

One thing worth mentioning though, if you have kids you will find a way to support them. I've worked some pretty crappy jobs to make sure my kids were taken care of. That motivation got me into better jobs, so it's a win-win.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:42 PM

510 posts, read 716,675 times
People should not feel social pressure to have children. If most kids were raised by people who really wanted them, they would be much happier adults. A couple of good examples in the posts here when the parents weren't really committed to having and wanting children.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
We currently have the same arrangement, I work days, partner works nights. It's doable, difficult, but doable.
Blech. Good for you, but I would never want that type of existence for me or my kids.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
I disagree. I would change don't get married to "marry the right person/find the right partner (if you don't plan to actually marry)." If you marry/partner with the right person it can actually be a benefit. My wife and I are both on the same page financially and it is one thing that has really benefited in growing our net worth vs if either of us were single.
This aspect is definitely true. Two frugal DINKs with modest incomes can retire in their mid 50s pretty easily. High income DINKs can leave the rate race much sooner.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjinnj View Post
Wouldn't that also hold true with ONE income?
No. What she found is that two income couples will spend more on housing, requiring both incomes to keep the house. When one loses a job, they are vulnerable to going bankrupt.

In a one income family, they get a mortgage based only on one income. That means the non-earner may be able to go to work to save the house if the main earner loses his/her job. Or maybe both of them can work part time until a decent job is secured.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Sometimes I think a lot of financially poor people make birthing children their "heavenly" purpose here on earth. Perhaps they feel as though the most important thing they can do or contribute to society is adding another person. When you're at the bottom of the totem pole in almost every facet of life, having the important job of being a parent can validate one's reason for existence and make them feel irreplaceable (which they sort of are for their child).
Yep. People at the bottom of the totem pole can't see a way out, so they make matters worse by having kids and perpetuate the cycle of poverty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics