Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 06:46 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,723 times

Advertisements

AFAIK, isn't preschool used also to give stay at home parents some sanity from a clingy child, although I suppose they would've just used daycare for those means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I really don't think you should base anything about relationships on Sex & The City (I mean, really, you surely know this!!!....but like I said in a previous post....pop culture most definitely shapes our attitudes about relationships, usually not in a good way, and we are largely unaware of how much of an influence it really has, which is what makes it so insidious). And what was Sex & The City all about....it was about women looking to be in that special relationship.....so despite the feminist pretext, it actually had a traditional backdrop to it to a degree. Women, in general, are just relationship oriented creatures.
I wasn't basing it on that. The "some women are actually happy..." was what I read from articles a long time ago on real women. I can't quote them nor bring up the publications I read them from as it's been too long.
Some women are actually happy that they never married (not just some fictional character like Samantha Jones from Sex And The City), or have some regrets in doing do, despite what traditionalists say.

Last edited by ackmondual; 08-05-2014 at 06:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 08:52 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Or maybe single folks tend to blow their money trying to impress everyone else instead of only one special other person.
Yes, I think that's part of it, especially for younger singles, but I think the "trying to impress" think fades for older singles....so not the whole story.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
Absolutely awesome, great post person with a clue. Repped. I've also referenced that book in the past and read most of it. You're correct that that's indeed a large part of the agenda they've accomplished.
Thanks. I am slightly encouraged by the fact that a small, but growing number of people are waking up to this stuff.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
AFAIK, isn't preschool used also to give stay at home parents some sanity from a clingy child, although I suppose they would've just used daycare for those means.
I don't know. If I were a stay at home parent, I wouldn't be putting my kid in preschool. But then, I don't really see the point in having kids if you don't want to spend much time with them. That is one aspect of the liberal culture that I agree with....if you don't want kids, then don't have 'em. But the corollary to that which got lost is "if you don't want to raise them, then please don't have 'em".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
I wasn't basing it on that. The "some women are actually happy..." was what I read from articles a long time ago on real women. I can't quote them nor bring up the publications I read them from as it's been too long.
Some women are actually happy that they never married (not just some fictional character like Samantha Jones from Sex And The City), or have some regrets in doing do, despite what traditionalists say.
The interesting thing about it all is that marriage generally makes women happier, but only a little bit. Divorced women aren't as happy as married women, overall, but they are hurt by it less than divorced men. It's ironic that women are the ones who hype marriage the most, but in terms of happiness, men benefit more from it and men are the ones who are most resistant to marrying.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:32 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
IMHO - women marry for love and financial stability for themselves and any children. Most men marry for lust and a clean house. Women get the short end of this deal.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:54 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
IMHO - women marry for love and financial stability for themselves and any children. Most men marry for lust and a clean house. Women get the short end of this deal.
I wouldn't be too sure... it can be nice to have someone pay your expenses, bills, room, and board. Although still not quite that simple, I've known some men to be jealous because "women can always find someone to take care of them".

Some other interesting sayings I've heard regarding this..
Marriage is the price men pay for sex
Sex is the price women pay for marriage

Men offer wealth, status, and financial security.
Women offer beauty, sex, and offspring.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:24 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,634,329 times
Quote:
So then it's time to move somewhere with a better job market or try to move into a field with more demand.
easier said then done, and I am (and have been) trying to.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:34 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,634,329 times
Quote:
From on tin foil hat to another...pretty much spot on (especially the bolded). I will say, though, that the group running the show is much smaller than just "the 1%". It's really more like the .00001%. The income/wealth gap between the 1% and the .1% is actually pretty huge.
true dat

Old 08-15-2014, 10:42 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
With the way family law is currently administered, I'd say it's the exact opposite of your scenario.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:24 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,230,149 times
Seriously? You can love your kids to pieces and still need a little respite, especially when they temporarily become raving lunatics at around age 3/3.5. A couple of mornings at preschool, and a little break from constantly being needed, really does wonders for parent and child.

Quote:
I don't know. If I were a stay at home parent, I wouldn't be putting my kid in preschool. But then, I don't really see the point in having kids if you don't want to spend much time with them. That is one aspect of the liberal culture that I agree with....if you don't want kids, then don't have 'em. But the corollary to that which got lost is "if you don't want to raise them, then please don't have 'em".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics