Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 08:45 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,370,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
For some, its required for commute to work. Its impossible to get to my job without one. 34 miles in each direction. To commute via public transportation would require a Taxi, Bus, Transfer, another Bus and a 20 minute walk. Walking distance range from my office are properties in the 1+ million. If a family can share a single vehicle, I think it is great but it doesn't always work out that way. I certainly can't expect that my wife lug around 2 babies and carry enough groceries for a 5 person family on her own either.

We are also talking about the American Dream in which there is an assumption of some discretionary income coupled with modest amount of retirement/savings. Of course, living a modest lifestyle doesn't necessarily mean driving a BMW or Mercedes either. How "modest" of a lifestyle in this so called "American Dream" is up in the air since the article doesn't provide any context; the root of why the article carries little content... seems to be written for the "shock" factor.

I wouldn't be surprised if the author first came up with a number. Not enough for people to call B.S. Not low enough that the article goes unnoticed. Then simply "looked" for the statistical data to "prove" that number.
The only way a car is required is people who chose to live far from work. Yes, it is that simple. A lot of people choose not to live close to urban cores where most of the jobs are. If you are priced out of a Metro area, you may need to pick another city or find some roommates. It is the cold, honest truth.

We shouldn't be living more than 15 miles from work. Anything under 15 miles is cycling distance. To say that a car is a human necessity would make humans of the past roll over in their graves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 09:45 AM

4,454 posts, read 4,588,746 times
Re: 'We shouldn't be living more than 15 miles from work'

Agree though if commuting is 'work' it would be nice to get that kind of work say in some metro areas. That makes me think of all places namely the medieval era where the city was the castle and everybody came into town across the moat to buy and sell stuff. Time marches on we're still doing the same thing but it's worse now with those bridges and tunnels going over and under the 'moats'....;-)....

Old 07-15-2014, 09:52 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,156,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
The dream died a while ago.

American prosperity was the result of WWII, thus an accident.
Agreed, and exacerbated by the burgeoning field of advertising and television with all the fictional desires they fed to the American public subsequently.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:24 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,171,524 times
The biggest indicator of where you will end up in life is your parents income.

To put it simply,

If my parents are rich, I'll be rich
If my parents are poor I'll be poor
If my parents are middle class I'll be middle class

Of course you have examples of people like Oprah and jay z who came from poverty to great success but that is rare

Old 07-15-2014, 12:10 PM

^
Interesting. A while back I did read about an analysis that roughly indicated that if you were born in a family in the bottom quintile of household income you will have a very difficult job of jumping into the higher quintiles. From the looks of it, it's getting harder and harder to say 'rise' economically today than say 30+ years ago. But it can be done though as noted. Not sure though on the specific probability.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:51 PM

15,024 posts, read 9,989,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
The only way a car is required is people who chose to live far from work. Yes, it is that simple. A lot of people choose not to live close to urban cores where most of the jobs are. If you are priced out of a Metro area, you may need to pick another city or find some roommates. It is the cold, honest truth.

We shouldn't be living more than 15 miles from work. Anything under 15 miles is cycling distance. To say that a car is a human necessity would make humans of the past roll over in their graves.
You are being way too idealistic and painting a broad brush. .... small town thought. No we shouldn't live more than 15 miles from work... but that's just not reality.

You suggest living in the metro area and find some roomates.... WHAT? I am in a family of 5 and metro areas often don't have good schools. Living in my home town and commuting for me is far cheaper living. My mortgage + property tax is cheaper than a single bedroom apartment. My work is also not in the middle of an urban area BUT it is located in one of the richest areas in a one of the richest states with high population density. Living close to work simply put is a luxury.

No its not that simple. Each person has to weigh the cost benefits of living close to work versus commuting. if you haven't figured out yet.... commuting is generally more cost effective. You are right.....humans of the past lived during a different time..... We had mining towns. Communities were isolated and self contained because the distance that people could "reach" was severely limited. Transportation changed that many decades ago......

Next you'll start saying that electricity is also not a necessity because the dead would be rolling in their graves.

Think of it this way.

A business produces a good or service at a much lower cost than it is sold for. Even in the past, farmers would take their harvest to the market for which their produce can be sold. Transportation is the cost of business. Labor is no different. Ideally, you keep you cost of producing that labor low (low living expense) and if it can be sold for a higher price elsewhere.. then transportation itself is a cost of business one must consider.

Last edited by usayit; 07-15-2014 at 04:07 PM..

Old 07-15-2014, 04:58 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,205,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
You are being way too idealistic and painting a broad brush. .... small town thought. No we shouldn't live more than 15 miles from work... but that's just not reality.

You suggest living in the metro area and find some roomates.... WHAT? I am in a family of 5 and metro areas often don't have good schools. Living in my home town and commuting for me is far cheaper living. My mortgage + property tax is cheaper than a single bedroom apartment. My work is also not in the middle of an urban area BUT it is located in one of the richest areas in a one of the richest states with high population density. Living close to work simply put is a luxury.

No its not that simple. Each person has to weigh the cost benefits of living close to work versus commuting. if you haven't figured out yet.... commuting is generally more cost effective. You are right.....humans of the past lived during a different time..... We had mining towns. Communities were isolated and self contained because the distance that people could "reach" was severely limited. Transportation changed that many decades ago......

Next you'll start saying that electricity is also not a necessity because the dead would be rolling in their graves.

Think of it this way.

A business produces a good or service at a much lower cost than it is sold for. Even in the past, farmers would take their harvest to the market for which their produce can be sold. Transportation is the cost of business. Labor is no different. Ideally, you keep you cost of producing that labor low (low living expense) and if it can be sold for a higher price elsewhere.. then transportation itself is a cost of business one must consider.
The question is who is here to say whether you need something. They don't know your situation. Your climate, family issues, work problems, etc. no one likes another person to dictate what to do, and unfairness stems from this dictating.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:08 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,205,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
The biggest indicator of where you will end up in life is your parents income.

To put it simply,

If my parents are rich, I'll be rich
If my parents are poor I'll be poor
If my parents are middle class I'll be middle class

Of course you have examples of people like Oprah and jay z who came from poverty to great success but that is rare
To add on to that, for most people
If I'm rich, I want to remain rich.
If I'm middle class, I want to be at least middle class.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:39 PM

3,610 posts, read 3,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
^
Interesting. A while back I did read about an analysis that roughly indicated that if you were born in a family in the bottom quintile of household income you will have a very difficult job of jumping into the higher quintiles. From the looks of it, it's getting harder and harder to say 'rise' economically today than say 30+ years ago. But it can be done though as noted. Not sure though on the specific probability.
I've already moved through three of the income quintiles in the last few years and will probably go through 4, maybe even 5 inside of a single decade.

I don't think my own experience is that unusual (I can certainly think of several friends and family who had a similar experience) and point being that for all the analysis that people at time X are more likely to be similar to where their parents were at time Y than random chance would indicate, with the exception of the rich and the intergenerationally poor people tend to move around the income distribution significantly over the course of their lifespan. The rich stay rich because they have a lot of economic capital and the poor stay poor because they have little social capital, but the majority in the middle are fairly fluid.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:43 PM

^
The data I saw was from the Pew Economic Mobility Project which is a longitudinal study that's based on panel analysis of income dynamics in families. One of its findings is that Americans born into the very top and bottom income quintiles were likely to remain there as adults. Only 4% of people born say in the very lowest quintile were found to rise to the top most quintile in adulthood. For that 4% then it 's a high achievement!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics