Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 07:59 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smommaof3 View Post
Another thread got me thinking. A lot of problems in the American economy would be solved if there was a mandatory retirement age. I think the US should have a mandatory retirement age.
What problems in the economy would be solved with a mandatory retirement age? Please explain. And what age should that be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 08:16 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Absolutely... but this isn't entirely about retirement is it? Its about the right to choice.
True it's about choice, one forced retirement and not having a choice and two not saving enough and being forced to keep working. If Americans were better savers there would be more turnover in the later years. I'm not for forced retirement and I wouldn't like being forced to work

Old 08-01-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
Yep. And a lot of professionals would continue working, because golfing every day and takig cruises doesn't interest them.

A lot of people choose to work past the point at which they COULD retire, because they actually like their job and get some meaning from it. Why would you want to force people into obsolescence?

I never commented on forcing people to retire nor do I think it's a good idea.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:18 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
In order to sell that, there would have to be about a 100% increase in the social security benefit payments. That would require a huge increase in the contributions out of the younger workers paychecks. Perhaps it would open up more jobs but the net pay would go down. Now if you were to propose a mandatory retirement age for the US Congress and Senate, I'd be with you.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:22 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
True it's about choice, one forced retirement and not having a choice and two not saving enough and being forced to keep working. If Americans were better savers there would be more turnover in the later years. I'm not for forced retirement and I wouldn't like being forced to work
That's still a matter of choice--one chose to spend rather than save in early years. Decisions have consequences. Some people make that choice rationally for various reasons, such as, for instance, spending more to support a disabled parent or child rather than on one's own retirement.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
Yep. And a lot of professionals would continue working, because golfing every day and takig cruises doesn't interest them.

A lot of people choose to work past the point at which they COULD retire, because they actually like their job and get some meaning from it. Why would you want to force people into obsolescence?
Yes. Until fairly recently, there was a cultural ethic that being useful in society was its own moral virtue. Being wealthy didn't mean becoming indolent; being wealthy meant having one's choice of work. You still see that when someone like Bill Gates "retires" from Microsoft and then continues to work just as hard for a charitable foundation.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
In order to sell that, there would have to be about a 100% increase in the social security benefit payments. That would require a huge increase in the contributions out of the younger workers paychecks. Perhaps it would open up more jobs but the net pay would go down. Now if you were to propose a mandatory retirement age for the US Congress and Senate, I'd be with you.
I would not propose a mandatory retirement age for Congress--a lot of people are best suited for those jobs only after a full career in business, law, or some other social sector. But I would propose term limits.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That's still a matter of choice--one chose to spend rather than save in early years. Decisions have consequences. Some people make that choice rationally for various reasons, such as, for instance, spending more to support a disabled parent or child rather than on one's own retirement.
Did you miss in my post where I said I wasn't for forced retirement?

Old 08-01-2014, 10:19 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Violating the Constitution of the United States never got us anywhere.

Where in the Constitution is there a right to work to any age?

Old 08-01-2014, 10:22 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
If Americans were better savers a lot more would retire on their own

??? How much do you expect minimum wage workers to save?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics