Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 02:22 PM

20,715 posts, read 19,357,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
If people aren't moving upward, then they need to change their strategy. Everything you need to know about how I feel is a couple posts up from this one.

But just because the game is rigged does not mean we should stop trying to win. Most people want to get rich quick. And good luck with that. But for those of us who aren't inventors, successful authors and songwriters, performers, CEOs and similar, getting rich slow is still a viable strategy. Just spend significantly less than you make, save and invest the rest. Most people cannot get past the "spend significantly less than they make" part.

If a woman is raped in a parking lot , she can still try to fight back.
If someone steals your car, you can always call a taxi.
If hurricane destroys your home, you can always rebuild it.
If you are snake bitten, you can get medical help.

People make the best of circumstances...In fact they do this all the time.

Yet for some reason there is an exception to this rule. If you are subject to higher taxation in a category of income without receiving compensatory benefits , why do people despair and turn to alcoholism, gambling and prostitution? Why in this case don't people make the best of things? And we know this to be a fact. People pull thorns out; get up when they have fallen; crawl when they cannot get up, but just can't get out of their spirals of degeneracy anytime they question the fairness of the tax code, and received benefits of their class. So strange in this case....isn't it?

Last edited by gwynedd1; 08-11-2014 at 03:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 02:32 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,042,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiResident View Post
And every year they become richer and the gap between the mega rich and the rest of the mortals increases.

What would you do to fix the U.S. wealth inequality?
Since you brought it up, what are your suggestions?

Old 08-11-2014, 03:34 PM

How about what not to do?

Not understanding intuitive concepts in economics also has consequences...

Economists Predict Sharp GDP Fall for Japan - WSJ
TOKYO—Japan's economy likely contracted sharply in the second quarter after a sales tax increase, setting the stage for tough decisions this year by Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and the Bank of Japan.

Did I not say how stupid sales taxes are?

Just like not understanding the counterintuitive ones, that national debts are a myth, also has consequences.
Legislation passed before Mr. Abe took office in December 2012 put in place the April 2014 sales tax increase. It calls for the levy to rise further to 10% in October 2015, with the aim of trimming the nation's large public debt.
Da guberment prints money interest bearing or not. The reason why the US has a "better" national debt to GDP ratio is because we run our economy on more bank credit....hallelujah that's the answer for Japan as well. Just have house holds take on more high interest debt and "grow" the debt fueled bubble like we do. Fiat currecies based upon da guberment debt must run deficits continually which is analogous to a gold mine in a gold standard.

So they are correcting a non issue with dead weight taxes on their economy while no doubt leaving the fictitious wealth of da guberment secured, legislatively created equity off the hook. And the solution is more bank credit.

Yeah , don't do that.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:41 PM

477 posts, read 800,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
What does this have to do with the OP? Where does it talk about poor people? Another poster pointed out how poor people spend their windfalls, or ill gotten gains. Well then, good thing the rich might also be skilled in keeping all their gains both earned or ill gotten. What does that have to do with OP again?
I doubt you even read the OP.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:48 PM

477 posts, read 800,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
A lot of people have skills and worked hard yet still are not rich. Conservatives talk about this kinda crap because they want to put them blame on people and shift the focus off businesses becoming more and more rich.
No, they thought they worked hard. I think it's easy to go to bed late or do something you don't want to do once or occasionally and claim you're a hard worker or don't know why you've been passed over. For example, I had a coworker who started off with the same salary as me. She eventually got fired and didn't know why. She was like "I stayed late EVERY DAY". She stayed late once a week (if that) and would b*tch and moan about it. Meanwhile, I was showing up early and leaving late everyday. I never whined or wanted kudos for it. I also was married and waited until things were financially right to have children. She had children with the some random guy who now lives off of her. I think it's easy to say "Poor Jane. The system got her" or whatever. It's easy to say I should give mine to her. I would willing share my salary with someone. IF they put in as much college as I did, put in two hours of unpaid overtime for YEARS, and waited to have children.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:19 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,780,077 times
Funny how everyone wants equality.....but only with those above us.

This is the only country where someone can be obese and still considered "poor".

Old 08-11-2014, 05:28 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
People pull thorns out; get up when they have fallen; crawl when they cannot get up, but just can't get out of their spirals of degeneracy anytime they question the fairness of the tax code, and received benefits of their class. So strange in this case....isn't it?
Odd that you consider my philosophy of "the game is rigged, try and change it while at least playing that same game to win" defeatist. Did you read the post two up from the one you quoted?

What am I supposed to do? Live a life of abject poverty in some sort of spiteful protest over how the financial system has been rendered completely unfair the extremely wealthy?

Old 08-11-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smommaof3 View Post
I doubt you even read the OP.

Here it is :
And every year they become richer and the gap between the mega rich and the rest of the mortals increases.

What would you do to fix the U.S. wealth inequality?
See anything about poor people? Looks to me to be a comparison between the wealthy and the median.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
Funny how everyone wants equality.....but only with those above us.

This is the only country where someone can be obese and still considered "poor".
Funny how people can't make a real point, offer no real insights, and just babble on the internet....

Old 08-11-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Odd that you consider my philosophy of "the game is rigged, try and change it while at least playing that same game to win" defeatist. Did you read the post two up from the one you quoted?
My posts stand alone, and if they can be assailed as is, then its my problem. Its an idiotic cliche` to suggest people try harder every time someone brings this subject up. Yes, if someone is trying to kill you, try harder to stay alive. Its understood ,and I have read the same tired crap hundreds of times. Its not insightful and off topic. The OP is about the fact that wealth is concentrating. Its not about self help.

Quote:
What am I supposed to do? Live a life of abject poverty in some sort of spiteful protest over how the financial system has been rendered completely unfair the extremely wealthy?
Stick to the subject and stop muddying the waters like half the people in this forum. There are social causes and social consequences to concentrations of wealth, or at the very least there are arguments , facts historical events and figures that discuss this. So either wealthy people earn all their money, or there are institutional structures that help cause it. Also, there are consequences to concentrations of wealth, and strong arguments that it is a danger to the general public. I post references and historical contexts and all anyone can do is whine that their post fail to impress me. I am not that difficult to amuse, so my guess is that it will impress very few except the already convinced just searching for the same frequency that is bouncing in their empty, cavernous skulls.

Here is one example.What do you think of this guy? Which side of the political spectrum would you put him on? Why did he not think the rich earned all their wealth?

Anne Robert Jacques Turgot - Palace of Versailles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics