Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2014, 02:39 PM

421 posts, read 556,173 times

Advertisements

Where kids get really expensive is if they have special needs and really do need therapies or a special private school. There are insurance and low cost options but they are often not good enough options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 02:44 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
If you can't afford to pay for college expenses you should not have kids.
Absolutely FALSE. College IS NOT a requirement for any parent. Parents can raise perfectly well adjusted, happy, contributors to society without paying a dime for college. FACT.

It is your opinion that parents should pay for college (and I assume force their child to go).

A parent not paying for college DOES NOT mean an 18-19 yr old will be on the public dole. I'm not sure how you figured that.

Quote:
Scholarships, both need and merit, are an option, but not one that should be relied upon. The more people in need we have the less we have to give.
If one cannot earn a scholarship, they can attend community college or work and pay their way through a public university. The most well adjusted people I know did just that.

Don't coddle your children. Let them be men and women.

Quote:
Community college - Not bad advice and more people should go, but many of the better schools don't accept transfer credits. A trade school would also be good advice, but trade schools are more expensive than universities.
Every school in my state accepts them and that includes two of the top 10 universities in the country. This is a problem with a slim to none chance of happening.

Quote:
Loans - These cover a fraction of actual tuition expenses. A first year student can borrow about $5K, but the tuition is much more... unless you are advocating for private loans and that is akin to simply throwing your kid to the wolves. Private loans have all the cons of federal loans with none of the benefits.
Child has several options:

1. Go to community college for the first 2 years which leaves them needing to pay for only 2 years at a university.
2. Work a part time job (some even do full time) while in college to help pay as they go (if they're there for something they really want to do, this is a small price to pay).
3. Commute to a college within driving distance (while working a job).
4. Rack up debt. They're adults. I will advise them, but if they don't listen than I didn't raise 'em right, and they're probably bound to make financial mistakes one way or another. State university is what - $60k for 4 years? Regardless of loan type, if they can't manage to pay this off and it wrecks them financially - college was probably a waste of money.

Quote:
Not going - And do what? We live in a globally competitive environment and need people with the intellectual ability to compete. Do you want your kid to work at McD's? Then we just have one more person sucking down government resources while not contributing.
You're coddling again.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:48 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
A quick Google of [URL="http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/statutes/statutelookup.pl?statute=110-86"]NC child care laws[/URL] will show that drop-in daycare is not available for parents who are dropping of a child while they are at work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I see daycares in my area advertising as "drop in daycare" where parents can pay by the hour.

For example: [URL="http://gigglesdaycareinc.com/"]Home | Giggles Drop In Child Care and Daycare in Wilmington & Cary, NC[/URL]

Regardless, this is a case of where one can benefit from networking with other mothers in the area. Ask them how they would handle that situation. Ask them for recommendations on sitters. Heck, you may even make a friend who's willing to watch your child in a pinch if you'll return the favor.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
A quick Google of NC child care laws will show that drop-in daycare is not available for parents who are dropping of a child while they are at work.
Oh my lord! How have people ever raised children for the better part of 10k years!

Old 08-15-2014, 02:53 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
There is that "skimp" word again. Don't skimp on this, that, this and that....oh, and that, too. The fact is, a parent paying for college is an option, but it's certainly not something I would label a "should do". I would not call it skimping either.

Scholarships
Work and paying their own way
Community college
Loans
Not going

An 18 yr old has several perfectly acceptable options that don't involve the parent paying for college. What next - we're going to say parents "should" have the funds to pay cash for their child's first home after college?
I don't think anyone is arguing that parents must send their children to an expensive, out of state, IVY league school and pay for it all out of pocket. Helping kids with college or trade school is great if a parent can afford it and most parents want to help their kids. If they can't afford to help financially they can help by providing advice on how to do it frugally (in state school, community college first) and help them with student loan applications. Let them live at home for some or all of college to cut costs, etc. Let them know their options regarding college vs trade school or some other path.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:57 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,089,802 times
Quote:
Oh my lord! How have people ever raised children for the better part of 10k years!
and prior we did fine with no electricity and yet we as a modern society deem it a necessity... Oh my lord has society gone backwards!

Old 08-15-2014, 02:58 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,778,784 times
Quote:
Because up until recently, you were able to get by comfortably on a single salary in most cases

For the past 10k years, it hasn't been a requirement for both men and women to "hunt" and the ability to keep one person home to watch the children has made things easier. Blame whatever you want for the fact that a two salary household is now becoming the new standard, but the fact remains that a single income family in the past is much better off than a single income family today.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
If you can't afford to pay for college expenses you should not have kids. We don't need more people on the public dole and your scenario promotes that they get on the dole. It's just a lazy way to raise kids imo, instead of planning and sufficiently providing you are taking the position that you are responsible for them until they turn 18 and then they are society's problem. Our safety net is supposed to be used as a safety net, that is, it's supposed to be there in case you can't provide - not as part of financial planning.

Scholarships, both need and merit, are an option, but not one that should be relied upon. The more people in need we have the less we have to give.
Work and paying their own way - Not very realistic at all. Most college kids won't make enough to pay their own way.

Community college - Not bad advice and more people should go, but many of the better schools don't accept transfer credits. A trade school would also be good advice, but trade schools are more expensive than universities.

Loans - These cover a fraction of actual tuition expenses. A first year student can borrow about $5K, but the tuition is much more... unless you are advocating for private loans and that is akin to simply throwing your kid to the wolves. Private loans have all the cons of federal loans with none of the benefits.

Not going - And do what? We live in a globally competitive environment and need people with the intellectual ability to compete. Do you want your kid to work at McD's? Then we just have one more person sucking down government resources while not contributing.

I disagree. If parents can help with college then that is a wonderful thing but I don't think it's a must. I went to community college, lived at home and then transferred to an in state 4 year school. My parents paid for some of my expenses and I worked and took out loans for the rest.

Many trade schools are not expensive at all. In fact many of them pay you as you learn. Electricians, plumbers, machinist, etc. have apprenticeships that offer a livable wage and benefits from the start and you get regular raises as you go through the apprenticeship.

Not everyone who forgoes college ends up working at McDonalds and on welfare. I don't think it's the wisest choice to end one's education at a High School diploma but the outcome can vary depending on the person.

Old 08-15-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I see daycares in my area advertising as "drop in daycare" where parents can pay by the hour.

For example: Home | Giggles Drop In Child Care and Daycare in Wilmington & Cary, NC

Regardless, this is a case of where one can benefit from networking with other mothers in the area. Ask them how they would handle that situation. Ask them for recommendations on sitters. Heck, you may even make a friend who's willing to watch your child in a pinch if you'll return the favor.
Most parents do network with other parents and share resources, advice and ideas. It usually doesn't lead to a significant cost reduction in child care expenses. I stay home with my kids and don't need to worry about childcare costs but I still did take a hit by losing my income to stay home.

Old 08-15-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I don't think anyone is arguing that parents must send their children to an expensive, out of state, IVY league school and pay for it all out of pocket. Helping kids with college or trade school is great if a parent can afford it and most parents want to help their kids. If they can't afford to help financially they can help by providing advice on how to do it frugally (in state school, community college first) and help them with student loan applications. Let them live at home for some or all of college to cut costs, etc. Let them know their options regarding college vs trade school or some other path.
Yes, it is great if a parent can help a little. If you can help, help. But don't look at it as a requirement for having a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics