Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 09:35 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
france like us is a country that just cant say no to anything. the inevitable result is 75% tax rate. france is just a little bit ahead of us in the downward spiral but we are going the same direction.
Europe's problems are deeper than tax rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 09:35 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
Down and out: the French flee a nation in despair - Telegraph

Looks like not only the rich, but also the skilled and marketable individuals are also considering fleeing France.

We should welcome these people.
This is an unreliable article. Your premise may or may not be true, but I can say the following:

1. The Telegraph is a Conservative Party paper in the United Kingdom. Its sort of the equivalent to Fox News in the USA.

2. Most of the statements in the article about French wanting to immigrate are simply opinions given by Jacques Regniez a professor of economics in France.

3. Neither Regniez, nor the article cite sources for the statements that "25% of all university graduates want to immigrate to another country and 80% of students with a marketable degree want to immigrate".

4. Taxes are indeed high in France, but the services that the state provides are far greater than those in the USA. It becomes a trade-off. What would people in America give up if they were given the choice between higher taxes and never having to worry about paying for health care again? In reality, I think the wealthiest people in society don't see it as a good trade off for them. On the other hand, the poor see it as a good trade off. Opinions of the middle class in a society may vary.

In any event, if the premise of the article is correct, we'll start seeing hordes of French people immigrating. If that doesn't happen the article was simply more rightwing nonsense with a goal of trying to "stir the pot" about taxes.

Last edited by markg91359; 08-15-2014 at 10:30 AM..

Old 08-15-2014, 09:36 AM

192 posts, read 270,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Yep. It has been proven dozens of times that tax-flight by the wealthy is a myth. Some leave, but most don't. The amount that leave is not enough to offset the increased revenue. California since hiking taxes on the rich actually continues to have more people in those brackets move into the state than out of the state...
Quality of life is an issue too. Good well-maintained roads, available transportation, excellent schools, access to beaches, water frontage, and sporting facilities, matter, along with the aesthetics of the town are important to most people. Taxes pay for these amenities, and most rich people are willing to pay to live in pleasant surroundings.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:44 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Indeed, Europe does have some very serious problems.

Perhaps, the biggest one is an aging population with a lower birthrate than that in the USA. Maintaining any kind of public retirement benefits is going to be very challenging. Cuts in programs are going to be necessary and few politicians there (or in the USA) have the courage to tell the public what it needs to hear. The course, Europe is on when it comes retirement benefits and entitlements is likely unsustainable.

I suspect the birthrate in Europe is low for many reasons. However, the parts of Europe I visited were less "kid-friendly" than the USA is. The small apartments that most Europeans are compelled to live in are not conducive to raising small children. Other trends, such as both parents having to work to support a household play a key role in reducing family size.

Europe will continue to deal with issues related to an in influx of Muslim immigrants from North Africa and Turkey. Language and cultural barriers make it very difficult for these people to assimilate into European society. They also pressure European governments to support Muslims and Palestinians when it comes to the Middle Eastern Conflict.

As an American, I envy some of the benefits that European countries provide their citizens Yet, I don't envy
Europeans. I think their future looks very challenging. I see much unrest and difficulty ahead.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:44 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,932,579 times
As if the US does any better: half the country makes less than $27.520 a year so is basically working class poor. Pot, kettle, black. At least in France you can collect welfare for $27.520 a year instead of working 3 part time jobs and getting seriously ill does not bankrupt you in France.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:59 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
same for us. but europe is a big place and the problems are not the same in every country. but in one area they are the same, they, like us, are being overrun with immigration, legal or otherwise and most are running out of money.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:35 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I thought France was being destroyed by the immigrants that they regret letting into the country?
It is...there's a poster here originally claiming to be American and now French and I'm glad so the French now have her and we are rid of her.

Both French families that I met complained about the Muslim immigration and poor schools they have there. They also complained about high taxes and too many people not working. But they still prefer the French health system and I would agree with them on that one.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:49 AM

2,485 posts, read 2,218,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
It is...there's a poster here originally claiming to be American and now French and I'm glad so the French now have her and we are rid of her.

Both French families that I met complained about the Muslim immigration and poor schools they have there. They also complained about high taxes and too many people not working. But they still prefer the French health system and I would agree with them on that one.
France and Europe in general lack diversity in its immigrant population. It becomes yet once again Europeans and Muslim immigrants who don't share much values and ideas in common. This is basically just like the chapters in European history. Europe is going through it again. That's how history goes anyway.

Read about the Iberian peninsulas history, Christians and Muslims. The moorish civilization rose and fell. Europe can't escape its geological destiny.

The French are living like there is no tomorrow. Their values are being challenged by both global capital and domestic demographic change. France will have big big problems down the road.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:04 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
France and Europe in general lack diversity in its immigrant population. It becomes yet once again Europeans and Muslim immigrants who don't share much values and ideas in common. This is basically just like the chapters in European history. Europe is going through it again. That's how history goes anyway.

Read about the Iberian peninsulas history, Christians and Muslims. The moorish civilization rose and fell. Europe can't escape its geological destiny.

The French are living like there is no tomorrow. Their values are being challenged by both global capital and domestic demographic change. France will have big big problems down the road.
Couldn't agree more. I guess there's the hope that the children will be Francophiled but my experience working for years in the Middle East leads me to have real doubts that will happen. The future of France looks very dour to me.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:29 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,461,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette La Bretonne View Post
I would be interested in knowing which people are leaving.
I would be as well if someone can provide hard facts that people are.

We are still missing that data. I am not sure if people are ignorant of how evidence works, or they have convinced themselves its true to the point they willfully ignore it. Fervent belief without proof is not healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics