Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 08:48 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,072,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
The gov't rewards failure ,i said that .

Private sector does not.
Lol. I've worked on public and private sector engagements for years. There isn't a whole lot if difference in efficient use of resources between the two. Both waste a ton of money. Public sector just tends to have more visibility, whereas the private sector audits tend to stay in house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 10:08 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Much has to be said about someone's character when they are making minimum wage flipping burgers when they are in their 40s.

How so? Will character without marketable skills get one a good job?

Old 08-18-2014, 08:28 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What's so hard about throwing up a bunch of cheaply built homes? Nobody - except perhaps government - is asking for UMC quality standards here.

No need to subsidize anything; the private sector is fully capable of building to poverty standards.
Yea, because I want to live next to a shantytown of cardboard shacks. Why should my property values diminish because of the inability of the poor to develop a plan to get out of poverty?

I abhor rewarding loser behavior and punishing winner behavior.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
In Portland, those low-income renters tend to have long commutes (esp those who use transit) and live far from their jobs. Because the cheap housing and the jobs tend to be in different parts of town.
I'd like to see the stats on that. IMO the minimum wage jobs are close to cheap housing. It's more affluent commuters that drive long distances to their employment, from what I've seen.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Yea, because I want to live next to a shantytown of cardboard shacks. Why should my property values diminish because of the inability of the poor to develop a plan to get out of poverty?

I abhor rewarding loser behavior and punishing winner behavior.

??? Are you aware there are countless intermediate gradations of housing quality between "shantytown' and UMC? Once the property is adequate for you, good management keeps it out of your crosshairs.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
??? Are you aware there are countless intermediate gradations of housing quality between "shantytown' and UMC? Once the property is adequate for you, good management keeps it out of your crosshairs.
You're advocating getting rid of building codes and requirements and want to pack as many folks into the space as can fit.

That screams shantytown to me.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
You're advocating getting rid of building codes and requirements and want to pack as many folks into the space as can fit.

That screams shantytown to me.

Using your local zoning code as an example, how about we calculate the cost (in inflated rents) to renters and compensate them directly?

Old 08-18-2014, 07:08 PM

283 posts, read 349,776 times
is this a serious question? why would people in the private sector intentionally set up housing not to make money?

Old 08-18-2014, 07:13 PM

1,013 posts, read 910,009 times
Quote:
Why does the private sector fail so miserably at providing an adequate supply of affordable housing?
because the governments FORBID AND MADE it expensive to provide cheap affordable housing.
competition drives down cost.

governments have been forbidding competition in general and giving out favors to selected groups according to whom bribed the most.

therefore it is NOT A MATTER OF PUBLIC OR PRIVATE SECTOR.
THE MATTER IS REALLY COMPETITION.

if the public or private sector both had competition it would be nearly the same.
private sectors just have more competition usually.

and because this sector has very little competition due to governmental corruption thus we get expensive housing.

please not one can in fact EASILY build a home with 20-30k in materials
and likely 40k in labor 60-80k if you want professional labor.

therefore the cost of a real home including labor is about 100k

BUT if it is manufactured homes (cheap labor and from assembly lines) that are almost the same as a professionally customized one then it would cost closer to 50k-60k for a new home to be built.

afterwards builders sell it for 500k or 10x the price they put in.

same thing happens with all products such clothing and electronics.
name brand clothing usually costs the company 5 dollars in material cost to make they will charge 50 dollars.
eg nikes 10 dollars material cost they charge 100 dollars. etc.

but once in a blue moon they will have dragged their products out too long and then they just heavily discount them to maybe 100% markup of the material cost.
the clearance section like close to expired food.

Which they still make 100% but less. otherwise they demolish them such that they can keep the markups sky high.
you can give them the 100% markup at this point as it would be better than wasting so much time.
this goes for shopping for all products btw.

you wait for sales and usually they will only discount them up to a certain point before they just pull the item all together.
got to keep the slaves hungry to keep prices of food up after all. hence the large amount of supermarket dumpster waste.

building permits will also be a drag. likely costing an extra 10k-20k+ total depending on the government entity

Last edited by gen811; 08-18-2014 at 07:26 PM..

Old 08-18-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylonggamer View Post
is this a serious question? why would people in the private sector intentionally set up housing not to make money?

??? If government got out of the way and allowed higher densities, there would be plenty of profitable affordable housing. This isn't rocket science..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics