Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 04:35 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i have not seen any americans delivering chinese food on a bicycle in the dead of winter.
I rest my case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 04:38 AM

105 posts, read 110,981 times
This wasn't even about immigrants....
I'm a "remove all boarders" supporter but that's off topic.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:41 AM

105 posts, read 110,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
But a person can enter a country legally with the correct paperwork for employment. If you want to work here, do it legally as I would if I wanted to work in another country.

Yes, an American born child is more deserving of a job in America just like a Mexican born child is more deserving of a job in Mexico. Countries should take care of their own people first. Then legal immigrants. Illegals should go home.
But...someone living in a nice home with all expenses paid is more deserving of a job than someone worried about how they're going to pay their water bill.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:37 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
If you can't beat out a teen for a job you've got bigger problems

Old 08-21-2014, 06:11 AM

715 posts, read 1,234,056 times
My first job was working at McDonald's at 15. I did it to save up money because my family didn't have a big nest egg. My mother probably could've used the money I made each week, but she wanted me to be responsible and save it.

I understand where you are coming from, but at the same time, I would probably have been a different person if I didn't go into the workforce as a teen. I probably learned more working on the job than I did in school. I learned responsibility, accountability and how to be a team player really.

Teens aren't afforded as many opportunities as an adult, especially someone as young as 15. Someone who is over 18 has a lot more places to apply to.

It's a tricky situation in America right now and unfortunately, I feel like it is every man for himself in the job world.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:34 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,101,447 times
This is as bad as forced retirement at a fixed age.

Don't solve problems by denying rights to another group citizens.

Its impossible possibly understand all the various family situations that exist in this country.

The minimum age for working on a farm (versus a business) is lower. Why do you suppose its that way?
http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/youthla...employment.htm

Family business that depend on generational labor. Make that illegal too?

How about kids saving for college?

Not everyone is college material. So we are now going to guarantee that each high school graduate has never had a job in their life? Talk about graduating non-competitive and unprepared young?

How about kids that help with a family hardship?

How about kids that don't have parents?

How about handful of very intelligent, mature, and skilled teens that simply want a head start?

Are we going to now require disclosure of how money is spent and make sure jobs earning said money goes for necessities only? I know a lot of adults whose pay goes to buying toys.

I personally think that work is a necessary part of a child's education... learning a work ethic. Part of the screwed up problem with our young today is the lack of a work ethic and lack of financial knowledge at the time they graduate. Both exist when you start a job. What's so screwed up is we require physical education but we don't require anything that remotely prepares a student for work. WTF?

I'd support the exact opposite... reducing the minimum age required to take a job. Heck, I'd require it as part of their later education.

And yes.. If you find teenagers a direct threat to your lively hood, one should be examining your own situation. THe most impressive teens I have known in my life are those that work hard in the summer. Even if its for spending cash only, they still work hard... and that's all that matters.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:41 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,977 times
Forgive my ignorance, but isn't the right to work Constitutionally protected. We don't allow child labor but 16 and up youth aren't viewed as children as far as labor. If you cant compete for a job against a 16 year old and want Uncle Sam to force you to get a job over them, then we have come to a sad state of affairs.....

Old 08-21-2014, 06:55 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
. If you cant compete for a job against a 16 year old and want Uncle Sam to force you to get a job over them, then we have come to a sad state of affairs.....
We have indeed.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:01 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but isn't the right to work Constitutionally protected. We don't allow child labor but 16 and up youth aren't viewed as children as far as labor. If you cant compete for a job against a 16 year old and want Uncle Sam to force you to get a job over them, then we have come to a sad state of affairs.....

I'm not sure where the right to work falls into the constitution, I certainly have the right not to hire you or even have a job open in the first place

Old 08-21-2014, 07:05 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i agree , employment should be open to all who need money . period!
and I will add, may the best worker win!.............(the prize is the job!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics