Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 07:10 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times

Advertisements

I started working at age 12 (delivering newspapers afterschool). Got home from school, bundle was on my doorstep and I had to bag them and deliver. I had to collect from customers monthly when they owed money and pay the paper their share. The job ended when they went to a morning paper/morning delivery and I couldn't do all that work before school. I would say that and other subsequent jobs taught me life skills......to take that away from a kid today certainly isn't fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 07:32 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times
The blame should be directed to Washington. Your Republican Congress doesn't care about you. This wasn't an issue when manufacturing was running hot back in the. Ship the jobs out of the country and adults are fighting over fast food jobs.

Now also consider companies did away with pensions which mean those fighting for low wages will work to the grave if their health holds out or work to become homeless at later age.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:41 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan2514 View Post
I believe that it disadvantages the millions of people who actually have bills to pay.
I understand that kids benefit from holding a job early. I want my children to be responsible and.competent when they get older.
However employment is not.a teaching tool-it is a necessity. As parents we are required to meet our childrens' needs until the ahe of 18. Basically the earnings go toward leisure.

Think about it-there are people facing eviction and without food. And it's hard for them to find work. So why should we hire someone who doesn't need the money?

There's another way to teach responsibility. It's called chores.

There may be exceptions- If the family's income is below a certain level, and of course any emancipated teens.

As an assistant manager I cannot discriminate based on need. But I do think if this was considered, it would help a llot of needy americans find work.
I was going to disagree based on your thread title, as I have had this argument on the parenting/educational forum and I see the great benefits my kids have received from having jobs. However, after reading your post, I think you have a point. My teen actually has a great-paying job where he works alongside adults who have the same job. It is a tip business and he'll bring home over $250 cash some days. I always think - that is fun money for you, but pays the bills for some of your adult co-workers.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:10 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
But...someone living in a nice home with all expenses paid is more deserving of a job than someone worried about how they're going to pay their water bill.
Where someone lives has nothing to do with whether they are deserving of a job. Illegals are not deserving of jobs here because they are criminals. They broke the law by coming here. So yes, a teenager living in his parents home is more deserving of a job than someone who has no regard for our laws and no legal right to work here. There is no argument here. People who come here illegally should get a one way ticket back home and if they come here illegally again, they should get free room and board in jail. If you want to come here and work here, get a green card. Jobs should go to legal US citizens first and those who have the proper paperwork in place to work here legally second. Period. This country owes nothing to illegals.

And you don't get to judge whether someone else needs a job. For all you know that teenager is saving for college. Maybe his working help his parents out. Maybe they're stretched to the max trying to provide a home in a good neighborhood for their kids.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:42 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:
There may be exceptions- If the family's income is below a certain level, and of course any emancipated teens.

As an assistant manager I cannot discriminate based on need. But I do think if this was considered, it would help a llot of needy americans find work.
You seem like a very idealistic young person and I think it's a nice idea that if you have two candidates both equally qualified to flip burgers you hire the one who needs the job most.

However, in practice what are you going to do, as manager of the local fast food joint or clothing retailer? Will you require every teenager to furnish his/her parents' tax return to prove they are needy? What if Dad just lost his job last month and that's not reflected on last year's tax return? And why does the hiring manager have to judge whether a person's family is needy, in addition to hiring the best candidate?

Old 08-21-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
You seem like a very idealistic young person and I think it's a nice idea that if you have two candidates both equally qualified to flip burgers you hire the one who needs the job most.

However, in practice what are you going to do, as manager of the local fast food joint or clothing retailer? Will you require every teenager to furnish his/her parents' tax return to prove they are needy? What if Dad just lost his job last month and that's not reflected on last year's tax return? And why does the hiring manager have to judge whether a person's family is needy, in addition to hiring the best candidate?
And sometimes people don't look needy who are. If you looked at my parents' tax returns, you would have thought I was well off when I was a teen but the truth was my biological father paid a whopping $8/week in child support for me. Unfortunately, this meant I had to claim his income as family income when I applied for financial aid to go to college and I was denied everything including student loans. The government said my father could pay my way but he wasn't going to. He made it clear he would not waste one dime on my education. Should I have been ruled out of jobs because my father made too much money? It took me until I was 25 to save enough to start college and I finished with $25K in charge card dept (still couldn't qualify for student loans because I was married at this point. A glitch in the FAF formula treated my husband's income as mine but the dependents and bills were his only so it looked like I had all his income plus my income but no bills or dependents.).

Appearances are deceiving. Just because a parent has something doesn't mean they are giving it to the child but a parents income can and will be used to exclude a child from financial aid for college. The kid with the wealthy parents may need the job more than the one from a poor family who can go to college for free. And you are correct about dad losing his job last month. We have a family in my school where the dad lost his job. It was well over a year later before anyone knew. They played their parts well until the foreclosure was final. To all appearances, their kids were from a well to do household but reality was they were sinking fast. You'd think the kids got jobs to buy extras but in truth they got jobs to help their parents (great kids in this family).

Old 08-21-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
The blame should be directed to Washington. Your Republican Congress doesn't care about you. This wasn't an issue when manufacturing was running hot back in the. Ship the jobs out of the country and adults are fighting over fast food jobs.

Now also consider companies did away with pensions which mean those fighting for low wages will work to the grave if their health holds out or work to become homeless at later age.
Manufacturing has left this country because we demand the cheapest goods possible and will go buy it elsewhere if it's a dime cheaper. If you want to blame someone, look in the mirror. Congress did nothing that resulted in manufacturing going elsewhere. Manufacturing went where wages were cheap, so they could give us the cheap goods we demand, and they could build a whole new customer base by hiring locals (moving out of this country is a win-win for manufacturers because we shop by price tag not manufacturing location and they create new customers in the locals they hire. Other countries are actually loyal to local manufacturing.). If Americans had any loyalty to buying American, we'd have American manufacturing but we don't so we don't. We sold our soul to the cheapest price tag. We did this to ourselves and no one can fix it now. It's way too late.

While you point one finger at congress (You'll have to explain what you think they did to drive manufacturing abroad), you're pointing three of them back at yourself. WE did this. WE demanded cheaper price tags. There's a saying: "Be careful what you wish for. You might just get it.". We got what we wished for. We are surrounded by cheap goods to buy...we don't have any jobs to earn the money to buy them but there's plenty of cheap things to buy.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:04 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
I've always been told that if you are willing to work, then you will have a job. It may not be the job you want, but it will be a job. As an employer, I would want the person most motivated to work at that job. Age wouldn't matter.

From what I've seen what used to be teen jobs are now often more adult jobs. Teens usually only can work the jobs part time because at some point, they go back to school during the year and are not flexible with their hours. An adult can usually work whatever hours are given. If there is a real need in an area for adults to have those jobs, they will eventually have them because the teens will leave and adults will take their place.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:06 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
I believe that it disadvantages the millions of people who actually have bills to pay.
I understand that kids benefit from holding a job early. I want my children to be responsible and.competent when they get older.
However employment is not.a teaching tool-it is a necessity. As parents we are required to meet our childrens' needs until the ahe of 18. Basically the earnings go toward leisure.

Think about it-there are people facing eviction and without food. And it's hard for them to find work. So why should we hire someone who doesn't need the money?

There's another way to teach responsibility. It's called chores.

Where I live (Utah) there are currently lots of low wage jobs. I would say there is one for every teenager, adult, and probably illegal alien who wants one.

The problem is moving up the ladder. There are very few jobs available outside the burgeoning service sector. Good luck finding something that pays more than $9 an hour. Those are the jobs that are nonexistent where I live.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:08 AM

20,718 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
So your american-bred child is more worthy of a job than someone else, all because of birthplace?

A person can control what they're born into, apparently.
I find it funny how some people have sympathy for people with disabilities but being from another country or not born with a silver spoon in your mouth makes you unworthy.

Yes there are some of us that believe in a measure of cultural stability for many reasons, including those now making the news like ISIS coming to Britain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics