Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 04:42 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,051,994 times

Advertisements

If there were a currency produced by an isolated island nation that is ONLY offered to citizens of that country and denied to anyone else in the world.

Suppose that currency can buy irreplaceable products from the island country, such as a gasoline that can allow a car to drive 1 million miles on one gas tank.

But the isolated country will only accept their own currency for purchases of any items from the island country

Govt will not any foreign persons to buy this currency but will offer no more than $2 to anyone who wants to trade the special currency for dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 04:44 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,226,700 times
Quote:
Govt will not any foreign persons to buy this currency but will offer $2 to anyone who wants to trade the special currency for dollars.
2:1 USD

That was easy.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
2:1 USD

That was easy.
But Govt won't allow anyone to buy the currency using dollars...only citizens can earn it through work hours that's it

There have been exactly 0 actual transactions where any citizen traded the national currency back to their island Govt in exchange for the $2

Old 09-01-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
But Govt won't allow anyone to buy the currency using dollars...only citizens can earn it through work hours that's it
You said trade the special currency for dollars. Now you say it has to be earned through work. Which is it?

The country in question can't survive without trade. Even if they have all the materials needed to be self sufficient, there will always be things that another country does better/faster/cheaper.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:57 PM

5,445 posts, read 6,220,490 times
Never mind exchanging their currency. If they had gasoline that could power a car for a million miles, they'd be invaded in 5 seconds flat.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Never mind exchanging their currency. If they had gasoline that could power a car for a million miles, they'd be invaded in 5 seconds flat.
Nah, they would run to the USA and have them provide military support in exchange for trading the gasoline in USD. Barring that, yeah, they would be invaded.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:07 PM

26,175 posts, read 21,437,103 times
If there is a physical form of this currency it will be traded for other things including usd even if the govt doesn't want it to happen

Old 09-01-2014, 05:21 PM

What I said was the Island govt will not give ANYBODY 1 unit of island currency no matter how many US dollars you offered up. However, the island Govt will give you $2 US if you give the Govt 1 unit of the island currency, a transaction that no person has ever partaken in.

Basically the $2 for 1 unit of the island currency is not the market exchange rate. It's the Govt's fixed rate that is not marked to market.

It's like if I made the best cheesecake on the planet. If you are my friend you can have a slice, otherwise you will not get to even look at my cheesecake even if you offered me $200,000 I would say no deal. If you do have a slice of my cheesecake, on the other hand, I will give you a dollar if you give me your slice. What is the value of my cheesecake?

Old 09-01-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
What I said was the Island govt will not give ANYBODY 1 unit of island currency no matter how many US dollars you offered up. However, the island Govt will give you $2 US if you give the Govt 1 unit of the island currency, a transaction that no person has ever partaken in.

Basically the $2 for 1 unit of the island currency is not the market exchange rate. It's the Govt's fixed rate that is not marked to market.

It's like if I made the best cheesecake on the planet. If you are my friend you can have a slice, otherwise you will not get to even look at my cheesecake even if you offered me $200,000 I would say no deal. If you do have a slice of my cheesecake, on the other hand, I will give you a dollar if you give me your slice. What is the value of my cheesecake?
The exchange rate doesn't change; it is still going to trade at $2USD:$1 Island currency. If I have USD I will offer $2 USD to the citizens for the island dollar. The fact that the island government wants to make life difficult for citizens won't change the fact that their currency is only worth $2.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
The exchange rate doesn't change; it is still going to trade at $2USD:$1 Island currency. If I have USD I will offer $2 USD to the citizens for the island dollar. The fact that the island government wants to make life difficult for citizens won't change the fact that their currency is only worth $2.
Even if on the black market people are paying the island citizens more than $1.8 Million US dollars for 1 unit if island currency?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics