Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 02:47 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,409,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
From government choking the citizens with impact fees, zoning, "planning commissions" and other corrupt nonsense. You CANNOT BUILD affordable entry level housing any more it's just IMPOSSIBLE. All you see is big singles yada yada. Therefore, family formations seem insurmountable given stagnating wages.

It would take me longer to acquire 4 acres and build an unconventional house on it than it took Disney to open the PARK. And by unconventional I mean something small and cute that is NOT zoned for "that lot".

Why does the state of FL own 50% of PRIVATE PROPERTY???

Get rid of them. Change the representative government to represent each COUNTY not the HIGH DENSITY TRANSIENT SINGLE populations.

When private property prices come down where they belong, people will be more inclined to create family formations, be more accountable, responsible, and contributing to a stable society. This doesn't mean fake liar loans, no money down, no doc, no interest etc.

Instead of buying government's big scam that you should marry government instead.

I cannot explain why so many people are just DYING to have their house price zoom up except for ignorance and they want to quick cash out. OR be upside down. AGAIN.
Cite your source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 03:27 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,040,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Only in non-recourse states and only for those that will not uphold their moral obligation to make good on their debts.
There's more to it than that. Even in recourse states people aren't necessarily required to pay back their debt. Few borrowers are actually sued for recourse after walking away because they're broke. Due to the amount of fraud and negligence banks were engaged in during the mortgage bubble, restitution claims were difficult to prove. That contributory negligence lead to judges throwing out a number of lawsuits even where borrowers lied to get loans.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:37 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,212,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
I totally disagree with this post. We are not adding low skill and low wealth people to this economy. Actually, the opposite is happening. We are adding too many high skill/educated people into an economy that doesn't have and is not creating enough jobs for them. Those that are being added are also arriving into the economy with unprecedented debt levels. So you have a situation where the employers have the pick of the litter and they have that litter over a barrel. That's why many of the same jobs that required a high school diploma a generation ago now require a college degree.

The lynchpin that makes the situation much, much worse is the collapse of credit. No credit= less small business growth, less innovation, less opportunity.
First, we are adding low skill people through immigration. The so called educated people we are adding aren't all effectively educated from employers perspective. They can't do a lot of things. Many don't possess skills. What they can do is worth little. We are also adding high skill immigration from other countries.

This means the following.
One. Employers can rely on skilled foreign labor instead of Long term investment in our education system.
Two. Investment must be made to educate increasing number of people who can't afford education or come from cultures that don't value education much.

If you are middle and below, you should pick a trade and skills that are marketable. Otherwise it's be very difficult.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:59 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,631,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Every generation says that until they hit about 30 and wake up. Remember that todays Corporate management was yesterdays hippy.
Umm pretty sure previous generations didn't think marriage is an archaic outdated concept... and it costs at least 200k to raise a kid these days. 99% of 20-somethings today don't have 200k to blow on a kid, or even 40k.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:53 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,409,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
Umm pretty sure previous generations didn't think marriage is an archaic outdated concept... and it costs at least 200k to raise a kid these days. 99% of 20-somethings today don't have 200k to blow on a kid, or even 40k.
You should go talk to some former hippies, they weren't running around getting married in the back of station wagons.....

Old 09-04-2014, 07:35 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,149,423 times
I don't think we are any different than any other generation. What I think is changing is people our generation are getting married later, so instead of having a dual income earning family at 22/23 you now don't have that until 27/28.

Everyone I know was about where there parents were by 29/30 financially speaking and career speaking. At 23/24 I don't think the same could have been said.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:52 AM

34,943 posts, read 31,079,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
I don't think we are any different than any other generation. What I think is changing is people our generation are getting married later, so instead of having a dual income earning family at 22/23 you now don't have that until 27/28.

Everyone I know was about where there parents were by 29/30 financially speaking and career speaking. At 23/24 I don't think the same could have been said.
If you get stunted early on, then you're having to play catch up. It's possible to catch up, but difficult.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:43 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,940,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
First, we are adding low skill people through immigration.
No different than the last 200 years. The biggest difference, however, is that we no longer have the jobs to support these people.

Quote:
The so called educated people we are adding aren't all effectively educated from employers perspective. They can't do a lot of things. Many don't possess skills.
I don't believe this is true. I think what's happening is that the root reason that wages are declining in real terms is supply vs. demand. For example, in my industry wages have totally collapsed and jobs have shrunk considerably over the past 20 years. The employees that are left are better at what they do and more profitable, yet make much less money. Why? No bargaining power. Too many people chasing too few jobs.

Quote:
We are also adding high skill immigration from other countries.
Sure we are, but it's not because we need it. It's because the corporations have too much power because they can bride our politicians through campaign contributions. It's in the corporations best interests to drive down wages and that's what H1b visas do.

Quote:
This means the following.
One. Employers can rely on skilled foreign labor instead of Long term investment in our education system.
Why can employers rely on skilled foreign labor? I would say for 2 reasons-
1. Because our corrupt politicians allow them to via H1b visas.
2. (most important) Not enough jobs, too many applicants for jobs.

Quote:
Two. Investment must be made to educate increasing number of people who can't afford education or come from cultures that don't value education much.
Again, we are already have too many educated people for the available jobs. Why would more education help? Education does not drive demand. Companies aren't going to miraculously create more jobs than they need.

Quote:
If you are middle and below, you should pick a trade and skills that are marketable. Otherwise it's be very difficult.
Except that it's impossible to predict which skills or trades will be in demand in a year, five years, ten years, etc…

I am living proof of that as my industry was supposed to be one of those that is recession proof, and look what happened to me.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:56 AM

5,192 posts, read 4,648,878 times
It's ironic to cite a report from PIMCO. One of the biggest problems with our economy is too much talent and money is tied up in the financial industry, an industry that produces almost nothing worthwhile for human society and often serves to squeeze the last drop of profitability from the lower classes while funneling most of that money into the hands of the rich elite. Talk about misallocation of resources. If I had it my way, more money would be devoted to pure sciences, the arts, teaching and many other fields that uplifts society at large but may not be as profitable on the surface. If you have an economy focused only on the bottom line, this is what you'll get.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:02 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,149,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
If you get stunted early on, then you're having to play catch up. It's possible to catch up, but difficult.
The life expectancy has increased by 10+ years since my babyboomer parents were born, so is it really a stunt, or just a shift in the timeline?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics