Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2014, 06:03 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
If you have an SAT score of 1400+, it's "suicide" (very figuratively) not to get a topnotch education. There are too many underachievers already. Don't encourage people who are capable of doing serious professional or academic work to laze off.
1400 isn't great anymore with a max of 2400 fwiw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 06:10 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,989,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Lol, if you think you need to live in a high cost of living city to meet educated and worldly people. Boulder, CO is a college town, not exactly the upper west side. What about St Louis, Austin, Dallas, KC, Denver, Portland, Minneapolis, Chicago, etc. you don't need to be in NYC, San Fran, LA, or DC to have access to capital or educated people.

Yes, I think you got what I was saying. I was talking about people who feel they need to live in these places to be happy and then complain about how expensive everything is.
I beg to differ.

If I had a great idea but no money I could spend three days at the Public Park in Sillicon Valley and get it funded.

if I wanted to work in foreign affairs or policy it is DC or bust.....

if you want to work on Wall Street...well you need to work on Wall Street...after seven years you can go to a boutique hedge fund in Austin or Denver but fresh out of school you need to be in an analyst program at large Investment Bank.

Austin is a great niche market....if you are an oil and gas man Texas is where you need to be.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:12 PM

420 posts, read 704,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post

Austin is a great niche market....if you are an oil and gas man Texas is where you need to be.
Austin has a strong market for physicists, as well.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:13 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
I beg to differ.

If I had a great idea but no money I could spend three days at the Public Park in Sillicon Valley and get it funded.

if I wanted to work in foreign affairs or policy it is DC or bust.....

if you want to work on Wall Street...well you need to work on Wall Street...after seven years you can go to a boutique hedge fund in Austin or Denver but fresh out of school you need to be in an analyst program at large Investment Bank.

You can work anywhere in the world for "wall st" in many positions and make good money. Since it's an industry I know very well Id guess the same could be said for some of the other industries you listed.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
We also eat mostly seafood, whole chicken, and fresh fruits and veggies. We very rarely purchase deli meats, freezer items, or boxed items beyond cereal. We splurge on Tipperary Irish Cheddar and do not drink alcohol. Basically we buy some high quality things, but rarely go above $100/week. We do eat smaller portions, so our food tends to last us. Maybe that is the difference?
have you been to whole foods? That place is ridiculous. Get their meat and things like smoked salmon and it will be like 25 bucks a pack...

I drop about 300 each time I show up for four bags. I dont even shop there anymore because it cost too much.

4.25 for one Advocado!

Old 09-08-2014, 06:16 PM

420 posts, read 704,330 times
Quote:
have you been to whole foods? That place is ridiculous. Get their meat and things like smoked salmon and it will be like 25 bucks a pack...

I drop about 300 each time I show up for four bags. I dont even shop there anymore because it cost too much.

4.25 for one Advocado!
Never been to Whole Foods... well, I stopped in once to grab some cash out of the ATM, but I didn't shop.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You can work anywhere in the world for "wall st" in many positions and make good money. Since it's an industry I know very well Id guess the same could be said for some of the other industries you listed.
Wrong.

Look at the placement for Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan, and UBS Analysts--these are the jobs for kids fresh out of college--they are all overwhelmingly in NYC.

Can you work for the State Dept in Detroit.

I am not talking about support jobs for Goldman. I am talking about Ibanking jobs which lead to huge salaries.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:21 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,166,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
If you have an SAT score of 1400+, it's "suicide" (very figuratively) not to get a topnotch education. There are too many underachievers already. Don't encourage people who are capable of doing serious professional or academic work to laze off.
It is not suicide to go to an affordable undergraduate if you are smart. Grad school is what matters anyway. I'm very glad I went to a public university, ended up in the same place for grad school as many people from top 25/30 schools, only I had no debt and they were already at 85-100k in debt. They will be paying off debt until 35-40 and I never had any, which allows me to immediately start putting serious cash towards retirement.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:28 PM

106,653 posts, read 108,790,719 times
I agree. Both our kids went to local universities .law school was also local . They graduated right in to six figure salary's.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I'm not saying skimp on the whole experience. I'm saying skimp on the freshman and sophomore classes. English 101 is English 101 no matter where the student takes it. So long as everything transfers (and that's up to the student to work all that out in advance), this is a way to get an Ivy League education without spending the full four at the Ivy League.

It's not where you start college -- It's where you finish. My diploma doesn't mention any of the community college classes I took in order to receive it. (And I attended school when it was still possible to work full time and graduate debt free.) I wouldn't want to have to attend school today. It's insane what we ask of kids today -- lives will be ruined because of this.

Keith Obermann, for instance, attended the "agricultural" program at Cornell. Same classes, same degree, less money. I have no idea if that's still possible. But creative thinking is necessary these days. The only students who should do four years at one school these days are the ones who can afford it. Keep the debt down and the scholarships up and do whatever it takes to graduate with as little debt as possible.

PS -- A student can still be financially ruined with a BA from Duke or Amherst, after all. It's hard to justify that kind of spending for a History degree (or similar).
Cornell is a good school. It's actually a combination private/public school and is an Ivy League school.

Unfortunately, Ivy Leagues and top notch schools don't accept many transfers as transfer admits are based upon attrition of the original freshman class.

Most Ivies admit 1000s of kids per frosh class and only about 7-30 transfer admits each year....it varies by school but you get the concept.

Yes, a degree from a top school does not guarantee success but it does increase the chances of success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics