Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 10:11 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVguy View Post
I used my CC in Home depot

do you guys sign up for credit monitoring/ID theft from your credit card or 3rd party? or it's a waste of money?

I just destroy sensitive information mail, be careful giving out your personal info. be careful shopping online, have anti virus etc for pc...is that enough for ID theft?

How will you know if your ID is stolen? bank will call you for delinquent payments, and low credit scores but by then it's too late I guess.....I heard as soon as you think your ID is stolen or someone is loaning with your info you call the 3 credit companies and freeze your credit account, they say that's the best way. and you can unfreeze it for a loan etc.
I used two different cards at Home Depot. I called and asked for new CC cards and account numbers--I don't want to have to monitor the cards for fraud at all. Also signed up for the credit monitoring. It says you have to verify that you shopped at Home Depot, but not sure how it is being verified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 08:31 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,609,101 times
That's convenient, my free year from Target is about to expire.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:34 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,609,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
Doubtful. Otherwise you'd be hearing about these all over Europe which isn't the case.
We've had chip and PIN in Australia for 10+ years, too.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:50 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
The point of credit monitoring is to detect suspicious activity and shut it down immediately. A lot can happen in a month. As we've seen recently, using your credit card at Home Depot or Target can end up being a "suspicious area".
I've had similar security breaches at two community colleges I've gone to. What they should offer is five years worth of monitoring, not just one. Stolen information can affect you much longer than one year. My father was the victim of identity theft over a decade ago and every so often (like when the cell phone company is merged or purchased) he'll get a notice about the bill because they see the bad debt on the other company's record.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:41 PM

574 posts, read 697,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I used two different cards at Home Depot. I called and asked for new CC cards and account numbers--I don't want to have to monitor the cards for fraud at all.
You should still monitor your credit cards regularly for fraud, Home Depot or no. Fraud happens to even the safest credit card users. If you catch it, you don't need to pay a dime. I just check my online statements monthly and make sure nothing looks strange. Helps make sure you're the only one spending your money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics