Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 11:27 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times

Advertisements

We took in a counterfeit $20 where I work a few months back. 1st one in 5 years. We didn't know until the bank contacted the finance department who then told us to "be more careful"...lol. I told my boss that without any training or magic pens nobody is going to do anything different and unless it's got the monopoly man's face on it we aren't going to know.

When your cash drawer is a shoebox you take what you get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 11:43 PM

Location: Looks like I'm getting out "Valley On The Sun" Arizona
190 posts, read 415,897 times
I had a guy once throw a 10 dollar bill on the ground claiming it was fake I looked at it and immediately noticed it wasn't a normal 10 but a 10 dollar gold certificate.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:30 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,248,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smommaof3 View Post
It is the worst part. I kept getting counterfeit money (bills and coins) from a store by where I used to live. I noticed my neighbors saying the same thing. We couldn't prove the store was a part of it/making it, the authorities don't care. They're too busy looking for the people making it. How are you going to find them when you ignore the hotspots for dumping it?
I worked at a restaurant that would occasionally receive counterfeit money; usually when the customer left the payment on the table/bar. They would be long gone by the time anyone noticed. You are correct, local authorities did not seem to care. But really, what could they do?

Here is the thing: this only happened once in a blue moon. One customer did come back in claiming that his change was "fake". Whether he received the counterfeit change from us or if it were just another scam, I dunno. I do question the legitimacy of authorities ignoring a store that continuously passed out counterfeit bills to customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I think we have some paranoia here. For example, the above, I highly doubt that. Think about it - why would someone counterfeit a $5 bill?
Pretty much no one checks $1, $5, and $10 bills. Also, if someone purchases $19.57 worth of merchandise and then pays with a $20 bill, that is only one bill: easier to spot. If that person paid with smaller denominations, say $1s, that is up to 20 separate bills: increase chance of hiding the counterfeits in the stack as the cashier's focus is on counting the bills, not checking for authenticity.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:32 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
A little off topic...

I gave the nieces cash in $2 bills on Christmas... they said it was interesting when they tried to spend it... some even thought it counterfeit.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:55 AM

15,072 posts, read 10,113,138 times
Quote:
It doesn't matter if you can prove who gave it to you, if they say they didn't know it was fake nothing happens. You don't get reimbursed and they don't get any legal actions unless it's prove they made it (more like are currently making counterfeit money). I'm not one to complain about the government, but it really seems like counterfeiting isn't a priority for them. Make ME wonder who exactly is profiting from it.
Of course.. that's not what I'm after. I'm not going to make a big deal over $5. I'm after informing them of the situation which is the best way to protect that person and others. Those that knowingly pass counterfeit money are betting on the general public not doing anything.. hence the small denominations.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:41 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,449,591 times
Quote:
It doesn't matter if you can prove who gave it to you, if they say they didn't know it was fake nothing happens. You don't get reimbursed and they don't get any legal actions unless it's prove they made it (more like are currently making counterfeit money). I'm not one to complain about the government, but it really seems like counterfeiting isn't a priority for them. Make ME wonder who exactly is profiting from it.
It is a huge priority for them...And local police don't investigate it, and aren't equipped to handle it. The US Secret Service does. Until 2003, the Secret Service fell under the auspices of the Treasury department. In the same way the BATFE investigates gun smugglers, USSS investigates major financial crimes and counterfitting. They even investigate the small time cases. There were two kids at my high school basically doing it off of a printer and one or two other processing steps IIRC. They were quite small time, they maybe passed a couple hundred dollars, and the secret service came with warrants and took apart the house looking for evidence of crimes.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:51 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,359,422 times
all my money is counterfeit. I get it from the bank and it is printed from the Federal Government. Not a bit of it has any value. Not a single bit of Gold or Silver to back it up. LOL

Old 09-11-2014, 09:05 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,001,725 times
Why do you think gold and silver have any real value? That's just "Money ver. 1.0" -- the stable version that replaced "Money beta 0.80 -- The Wampum Edition."

Precious metals have some industrial uses. They make decent enough jewelry. But they don't have any real value, either. They're just metals.

In the event of a global catastrophe, gold and silver will be even more useless than paper money -- it weighs more and is more of a chore to lug around as one flees from the tsunamis, zombies, etc.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:29 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,430,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Why do you think gold and silver have any real value? That's just "Money ver. 1.0" -- the stable version that replaced "Money beta 0.80 -- The Wampum Edition."

Precious metals have some industrial uses. They make decent enough jewelry. But they don't have any real value, either. They're just metals.

In the event of a global catastrophe, gold and silver will be even more useless than paper money -- it weighs more and is more of a chore to lug around as one flees from the tsunamis, zombies, etc.
There's no such thing as an all encompassing value. There is only what someone is willing to pay for something, that is what we generally call value and it is based off of supply and demand. Gold and silver have value because people have a demand for it and there is a limited supply. WHY they demand it is out of scope as to the fact that it has value. You can disagree with its utility to the common man all day long but that doesn't discredit its market value. Something can be useless and worthless to you but it still has value. You can find a Louis V purse in the street and care less about it, however you can still put it on ebay for 1,000 dollars because it has value to someone.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:56 AM

477 posts, read 801,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woundedknee View Post
I had a guy once throw a 10 dollar bill on the ground claiming it was fake I looked at it and immediately noticed it wasn't a normal 10 but a 10 dollar gold certificate.
I think it is useless, though. What bank would honor that now? What bank even carries gold? What's 10 dollars worth of gold? Isn't gold worth 1500? Here's you're 10/1500 or 1/150 piece of microscopic gold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics