U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 08:50 AM

419 posts, read 1,903,808 times

Advertisements

I am starting to believe increasing globalization will cause American Middle Class to go away. I suspect that most middle class jobs will slowly be outsourced in the next 20 years. Most of our factories will close as work is shipped to China and other low wage locations. The only jobs left outside of medical, will be retail, construction, and low wage services jobs, everything else will be outsourced. Even medical work will be cut as we are forced to limit services as costs spiral out of control.

As government is forced to shrink due to raising deficits, rapidly dropping home valuations, huge budget problems, and lack of credit availability. I suspect that few middle class Americans will exist in twenty years. Your thoughts?

Last edited by questioner2; 12-27-2007 at 09:13 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 09:45 AM

6,993 posts, read 16,048,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
I am starting to believe increasing globalization will cause American Middle Class to go away. I suspect that most middle class jobs will slowly be outsourced in the next 20 years. Most of our factories will close as work is shipped to China and other low wage locations. The only jobs left outside of medical, will be retail, construction, and low wage services jobs, everything else will be outsourced. Even medical work will be cut as we are forced to limit services as costs spiral out of control.

As government is forced to shrink due to raising deficits, rapidly dropping home valuations, huge budget problems, and lack of credit availability. I suspect that few middle class Americans will exist in twenty years. Your thoughts?
certain things are impossible to outsource. Example is certain I.T. jobs, telecomm jobs etc. Even programming jobs that have been outsourced have proven to be horrible ventures. Work comes back screwed up and programmers state side have to fix a lot of code. With that said, yes, the middle class will start to thin out. I think it will have more to do with living cost and what it will take to survive here. As a result, a lot of "middle class" will spend more of their money on surviving. They will not have as much for disposable income. A lot of people are going to suffer in the coming years, unfortunately/fortunately I have no compassion for many of them, because they didn't care about their fellow Americans during their tuff times. A lot of people better get ready to eat crow.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:22 AM

1,928 posts, read 4,802,661 times
If this trend is allow to continue unchecked, there will be serious consequences. I see a continued erosion of the middle class. Our wages here and standard of living can not survive in a global world where the lowest wage always seem to win. How can any American compete with his Chinese counterpart when their wages are a fraction of ours. And now, thanks to American companies who have given the Chinese access to technology to mass-produce goods in a very automated way that built American industry, it is unlikely we can compete with them. With the right leadership in Washington, we can level the playing field, but I guess it hasn't gotten bad enough yet. Globalization did not make America a super power, but it certainly can be our undoing.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:01 PM

192 posts, read 811,960 times
Just recently had this clip sent to me, interesting, seems like that is the plan. Then I found the movie he speaks of, makes you angry at what is happening.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...53830426590918

Old 12-27-2007, 08:13 PM

16,248 posts, read 22,457,643 times
In the future jobs that pay between $27K to $60K will probably be few and far between in America. This is because foreign competition will take more of these positions, technology will displace quite a few of them and the power of unions is low. The only exception to this will be government employment if you can get it.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
certain things are impossible to outsource. Example is certain I.T. jobs, telecomm jobs etc. Even programming jobs that have been outsourced have proven to be horrible ventures. Work comes back screwed up and programmers state side have to fix a lot of code. With that said, yes, the middle class will start to thin out. I think it will have more to do with living cost and what it will take to survive here. As a result, a lot of "middle class" will spend more of their money on surviving. They will not have as much for disposable income. A lot of people are going to suffer in the coming years, unfortunately/fortunately I have no compassion for many of them, because they didn't care about their fellow Americans during their tuff times. A lot of people better get ready to eat crow.
IT jobs and telecom jobs are being replaced by technology. Think about the telephone man as you knew him... his job is dying as more and more people switch to VOIP or cell only. IT jobs are going away too. More and more stuff is "plug and play" and businesses don't need to pay somebody that knows TCP IP to put it together anymore. They can hire somebody for $10 an hour to install the stuff and hook it to a phone line and some guy in India will put all the stuff in to make it work.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:11 PM

6,993 posts, read 16,048,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
IT jobs and telecom jobs are being replaced by technology. Think about the telephone man as you knew him... his job is dying as more and more people switch to VOIP or cell only. IT jobs are going away too. More and more stuff is "plug and play" and businesses don't need to pay somebody that knows TCP IP to put it together anymore. They can hire somebody for $10 an hour to install the stuff and hook it to a phone line and some guy in India will put all the stuff in to make it work.
you obviously don't work in the I.T. field. I have worked in the telecomm field and I am currently a network administrator. There is no way in hell a average joe could subnet, setup domain, adhere to security standards, set up SANS, NAS or any thing else of that nature. I am not even going to get into programming cisco routers and switches (some of which can take months to do) This stuff is only getting more and more technical so nope it isn't going anywhere. As for VOIP that too needs someone to set up and administer it and again that is not going anywhere. I am not talking about some home network for sharing video with your kid brother, I mean 1,000 plus user networks, with file server clusters, exchange clusters etc. Those jobs can not be outsourced nor phased out. In fact America has a shortage of I.T. people because people stopped entering the field back in 2000/2001. In fact the US Govt did a study not to long ago and stated in the next 10 to 15 years America will really be in trouble as people with the knowledge to handle complex networking will be few and far between.

As for the India theory, again not going to happen. I have friends who are programmers who say code coming back from over seas is coming back poorly written. So much so they are having to re write a lot of it once they get it back. One guy who works for citrix told me they outsource to india not because its cheap but because they can not find enough qualified people in the states to do the job. Its a great field to go into right now.

Old 12-28-2007, 01:05 AM

4,271 posts, read 14,392,587 times
Quote:
code coming back from over seas is coming back poorly written. So much so they are having to re write a lot of it once they get it back
That is SO TRUE. I have a friend who works for a major firm and the codes she gets back from India are so bad that it's completely useless and she has to re-write everything. It's like her company is billing twice for the code.

Old 12-28-2007, 06:17 AM

186 posts, read 516,218 times
Quote:
you obviously don't work in the I.T. field. I have worked in the telecomm field and I am currently a network administrator. There is no way in hell a average joe could subnet, setup domain, adhere to security standards, set up SANS, NAS or any thing else of that nature. I am not even going to get into programming cisco routers and switches (some of which can take months to do) This stuff is only getting more and more technical so nope it isn't going anywhere. As for VOIP that too needs someone to set up and administer it and again that is not going anywhere. I am not talking about some home network for sharing video with your kid brother, I mean 1,000 plus user networks, with file server clusters, exchange clusters etc. Those jobs can not be outsourced nor phased out. In fact America has a shortage of I.T. people because people stopped entering the field back in 2000/2001. In fact the US Govt did a study not to long ago and stated in the next 10 to 15 years America will really be in trouble as people with the knowledge to handle complex networking will be few and far between.

As for the India theory, again not going to happen. I have friends who are programmers who say code coming back from over seas is coming back poorly written. So much so they are having to re write a lot of it once they get it back. One guy who works for citrix told me they outsource to india not because its cheap but because they can not find enough qualified people in the states to do the job. Its a great field to go into right now.
You obviously have not heard of a H1B pass. If I am right Clinton suggested we need more H1B employees here. You hear talk about how illegals take the jobs Americans don't want to do. NOT TRUE. Americans are educated enough to know they can't make it on those wages. Yes Americans will do this work such as insulating or drywall, They are called union workers. The middle class down fall started when jobs were shipped over seas. I don't think we have enough people in the US that could work all the job if we didn't. I think we went overboard. I know of a few political leaders I would like to send overseas.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:39 AM

Quote:

I work in a related field and yes, somebody can be hired to put in the hardware and hook it to a data line (t1, dsl,) and somebody in India can set up all the domains, subnets and troubleshoot the system right down to the desktop level. It is happening more and more. And even if they cannot do it all remotely, they can get H1B visas and come over here and take care of local issues too. Where does that leave the CNA? Probably changing out hardware and software and nobody is going to pay somebody $70k a year to do that. Not when they can get somebody with an H1B to do it for half that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics