Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 11:20 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,334,367 times

Advertisements

Not a fan of Obamacare but I didn't like what we had before either. I checked an old pay stub of mine from 1995. I paid $7 per pay period (every two weeks) for my share of health insurance premiums. Now I pay $62 per pay period. I still work at the same place.
That's almost a 9 fold increase in health insurance in 19 years. I can dislike both pre-and post Obamacare, but the writer of the piece doesn't seem to have a problem with what was happening before. So many people just have their side and stick to it no matter what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 11:22 PM

2,803 posts, read 3,153,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Posts like this are the reason there are still democrats around, you post false information and some people believe you. There are far less people now insured than before and obamacare is still a failure and is not working..!
The reason there are still neo-nazis out there is because you post wrong information and some people believe you. The cancelled plans were pseudo-insurance which covered the first 5k or so of healthcare expenses and the rest was on the welfare office. The employers offering such pseudo-"insurance" plans had the address and phone number of the local welfare office often posted. If this is your understanding of "health insurance" then I hope you're not in education for the sake of our youth.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:34 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,589,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The Washington Post is a wholly owned right wing propaganda rag. What did you expect them to print? A comparison of Obamacare and Romneycare, which are almost identical?
Bolding is mine. Right wing ? I have never, ever heard the Post called right wing. That is laughable.

Old 09-21-2014, 04:07 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,877,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
The number of people previously without healthcare in a first world country - that was the monstrosity. An obscenity in fact.
You mean health insurance. Health care is what a doctor or nurse or pharmacist gives you, and if you go to the doctor and pay the bill, you have health care (up to what you can afford).

I'm not saying health insurance isn't important, but it's hard to have a discussion about something when different people use the same words to mean different things.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:18 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,891,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
55,000 posts, and a paltry 7,000 reputation score. You want to take a guess why that is or should I just tell you?
Because people like you post wrong information and I have to correct you all the time.

People dont like to be corrected, like little children, they throw a temper and then shout "look at my rep points" to distract away from their errors..

As if that matters.. oh brother..

Old 09-21-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
The reason there are still neo-nazis out there is because you post wrong information and some people believe you. The cancelled plans were pseudo-insurance which covered the first 5k or so of healthcare expenses and the rest was on the welfare office. The employers offering such pseudo-"insurance" plans had the address and phone number of the local welfare office often posted. If this is your understanding of "health insurance" then I hope you're not in education for the sake of our youth.
YOU are the one who started this thread claiming millions more were insured even though we started with 30 million uninsured and now have 41 million uninsured americans..

YOU were wrong and continue to be, the employer mandates havent even kicked in yet, the Democrats keep delaying them,

Dont blame others for your mistakes,

Old 09-21-2014, 11:07 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,003,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
People dont like to be corrected, like little children, they throw a temper and then shout "look at my rep points" to distract away from their errors..
So it seems you know what the problem is, just not WHO those people are. Do you have a mirror handy?

Your reputation is exactly that... a reputation. Your reputation doesn't distract from your errors, it's actually a pretty clear indication that you have a long time habit of not knowing what you're talking about.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:17 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,746,072 times
It's what they do - they predict all manner of dire consequences as a result of some policy they just don't like.

In some cases, they're lying, intentionally 'predicting' things they know perfectly well will not happen. In other cases, they've somehow deluded themselves into thinking such things will actually occur.

When those predicted consequences fail to materialize, they make excuses.
*"OK, so it hasn't happened... yet! But just you wait!"
*"Sure, I was wrong, but that was because of X" [they don't bother to accept that failing to account for X still leaves them wrong]
*"Huh? What prediction?" [often, they just ignore their myriad failed predictions of the past, and hope no one will call them on it - and most of their target audience is only too eager to ignore things that might cast doubt on what they really want to believe, so they happily oblige]

Regardless, you can rest assured that they are bound and determined to learn absolutely nothing from their demonstrated inability to properly assess proposed policies.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:17 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,758,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Because people like you post wrong information and I have to correct you all the time.

As if that matters.. oh brother..
We all post wrong information because we all have our own biases and framing. Being we are talking Obamacare, we do see people on the right who complain about costs increases but yet forget costs increased anyway before the change because of the law and those for the laws complain that plans that were scrapped were all junk (don't get me wrong, some are) but some were dropped because they couldn't keep the prices the same with what was required of the law. Issues like Obamacare have a huge battleground of things to be in favor of and things to hate. There seems to be a lot more that blindly hate the law which I did for the longest time but I realize thee is some good in it and it is a little better than the older health insurance market but there is a lot of room for improvement.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
So it seems you know what the problem is, just not WHO those people are. Do you have a mirror handy?

Your reputation is exactly that... a reputation. Your reputation doesn't distract from your errors, it's actually a pretty clear indication that you have a long time habit of not knowing what you're talking about.
Please point out what errors I made..

here, I'll start with one you made
Quote:
I used to be an actuary for a large medical insurance firm. I have my Masters in Econ. I know a bit about the inner workings of insurance firms... and how they were scared to death about Obamacare being passed.

I want any detractors of Obamacare to consider my last sentence, which is undoubtedly fact.
Its not only NOT A FACT, it is a complete and outright LIE

http://www.infowars.com/insurance-giants-that-wrote-and-lobbied-for-health-law-cash-in/

If you want reputation points for being wrong, so be it, I however have standards which are far higher...

as if rep points on citydata matter at all.. Tell me, do you put them on your resume, or use them as a shining example as to how many errors you made that others just bought as the truth despite them being a lie?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics