Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 12:49 PM

122 posts, read 187,042 times

Advertisements

There's oil rig jobs and crab fishing jobs that pay well, but they're dangerous, and you'll be in isolated areas with almost no women around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 09:16 PM

35 posts, read 33,661 times
Buy a bitcoin, put it in a paper wallet. Put it in a safe, or book or something. Forget about it for ~5 years. Consider a couple alts too.

If I'm right, you can actually retire. If I'm wrong, you're out 300-1000 bucks (depending on how much you decide to spend).

Old 11-08-2014, 11:57 AM

14,211 posts, read 11,487,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
working for a good hotel helping guests as they come in and getting good tips. You meet people and are not at a desk all day
We have a friend who is a bellhop at a hotel near the airport in Orange County, CA. Lots of conferences going on and people coming and going all the time. He works the night shift and always works on Saturdays, both things that many people don't want to do. But he supports his wife and four kids (wife doesn't work) with this job.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:56 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,642,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
I don't care if its below avr pay. I just want to work to live. I am 20 years old working part time in retail and going to schoolbut have come to realize school is not for me. I want to do something that doesn't chain me to a desk, i don't cae if its low paying, as long as there are jobs available in such job.
age 20 who knows what to do I still have no clue but did go to school to get my AA degree. Why it was not too bad and I also was working so got help with books etc., I found once you did the required subjects you got to pick what you liked. If I liked it or the teacher I did well also I did a few courses at nights. Why I had to work full time school will not chain you to a job you don't enjoy but may find you one you do

Old 11-09-2014, 12:57 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,642,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
We have a friend who is a bellhop at a hotel near the airport in Orange County, CA. Lots of conferences going on and people coming and going all the time. He works the night shift and always works on Saturdays, both things that many people don't want to do. But he supports his wife and four kids (wife doesn't work) with this job.
that was what I had in mind but an AA degree will not hurt at age 20

Old 11-10-2014, 07:51 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,062,012 times
I like the person who said "Get off the effing country" is hiding like a coward.

You hermit

Old 11-11-2014, 06:47 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,013,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I just met a guy in Wyoming that guides fly fishing trips ...
Makes a good living, has fresh trout to eat & is doing exactly what he loves...
Define a "good living"

I love fishing as well, but not enough to make $35,000 a year to do it professionally.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:56 AM

8,583 posts, read 15,959,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Define a "good living"

I love fishing as well, but not enough to make $35,000 a year to do it professionally.

Some young adults I have met only care that they
pay the bills, save a tad and do what they love..
They room with others to keep the living expenses down..
Without a family to support they are able to follow their interest and
let that drive their life and not have their job be the main
focus of their life..
It is impressive to see them shop at thrift stores, eat wild game & fish and
barter...

Old 11-11-2014, 12:11 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,013,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Some young adults I have met only care that they
pay the bills, save a tad and do what they love..
They room with others to keep the living expenses down..
Without a family to support they are able to follow their interest and
let that drive their life and not have their job be the main
focus of their life..
It is impressive to see them shop at thrift stores, eat wild game & fish and
barter...
I like my toys, nice cars, being able to afford nice vacations, etc.

To each their own though.

On the other hand, if I weren't married, didn't have kids (and didn't plan on doing either of those things), I probably would love to be a fishing guide for a living knowing the lifestyle I'd be leading.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:14 PM

8,583 posts, read 15,959,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
I like my toys, nice cars, being able to afford nice vacations, etc.

To each their own though.

On the other hand, if I weren't married, didn't have kids (and didn't plan on doing either of those things), I probably would love to be a fishing guide for a living knowing the lifestyle I'd be leading.
Yep..everyone has to decide what they love the most..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics