Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2014, 10:56 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,469,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Tax payers pay for everything in the end. But some take more than they give back intentionally by not working as a choice.
Our National Debt will never be paid to zero. So there are things that even the taxpayers never pay for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 01:17 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,117,467 times
Quote:
most likely no , a long living healthy population may just tax resources like social security ,medicare welfare etc beyond their already strained walls.

as it is social security never imagined we would all live even as long as we do.
I'm sorry but that is ridiculously ignorant. The solution is to reform entitlements and welfare to reflect changing demographics and labor markets.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:20 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,117,467 times
Quote:
Tax payers pay for everything in the end. But some take more than they give back intentionally by not working as a choice.
Yawn.... There are parasites on both end of the spectrum.

Last edited by dv1033; 10-05-2014 at 01:29 PM..

Old 10-05-2014, 01:52 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
I'm sorry but that is ridiculously ignorant. The solution is to reform entitlements and welfare to reflect changing demographics and labor markets.
When i see those reforms you dream of i will change my opinion. Until then opinion stands

Old 10-05-2014, 02:13 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,910,055 times
If 'insurance' is so important and the reason why the ACA became a law. . . . .

The same argument could be made for life insurance. The government will eventually orchestrate the same kind of scheme to make sure everyone has between $500,000 to $1,000,000 in life insurance as a right.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:22 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
I can see some means tested insurance one day.

After all folks bang out kid after kid with no thought of who will provide for those kids if the bread winner dies. Then we all have to pay to support those kids while we were responsible and didn't have more kids then we knew we could provide for.

But that is another topic

Old 10-05-2014, 03:02 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
This is my main gripe with the ACA. What's the point of having health insurance if your deductible is so high that you never get to use it?
First of all, the ACA allows for a choice of deductibles based on what plan you choose, as insurance always did. But in any case, your gripe should not be with the ACA or government in general, except the fact that the governments we have had for decades roll out the red carpet for insurance companies to make humungous profits off sick Americans. The entire concept of how we insure Americans is wrong. Your problem is not the fault of individual plans.

Old 10-05-2014, 03:08 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
This is my main gripe with the ACA. What's the point of having health insurance if your deductible is so high that you never get to use it?
Also, the plan covers preventative screenings (annual exam, mammograms, colonoscopies, blood work, gyno) at 100%, which is the vast majority of health care coverage my family uses.

Old 10-05-2014, 03:08 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,953,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Our National Debt will never be paid to zero. So there are things that even the taxpayers never pay for.
I would think that the payment comes in the form of deflated currency, reduced benefits and services (future mostly), and decreased financial security, so some do pay.

Old 10-05-2014, 03:27 PM

760 posts, read 768,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I am beyond grateful for the Affordable Care Act and I believe in days to come the word "Obamacare" will be spoken with respect instead of scorn. It has given me the best health insurance I've had in my post-corporate days for a price I can afford.
Most European countries and Canada have universal health care and lower medical costs too.
Obamacare today is like Social Security was when it was first started, back then no one in their teens and 20s and 30s wanted their wages garnished to pay for some silly forced retirement plan and no doubt there were many angry objectors and problems, but eventually it became the norm. Now when those people retired and started getting monthly checks based on what they put in I'll bet they changed their tune pretty fast!

Imagine what it would be like today for all those millions of retired people in Florida who collect SS checks every month if SS had never been in place, if it hadn't they would have had to keep working if they could, or do what the elderly used to do in the old days- die in the streets when they got evicted, or move in with their kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics