Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 08:39 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,578 posts, read 81,186,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Where are getting this idea from? My plan doesn't require this, and I purchased it on my own through Blue Cross this past August when my previous plan was discontinued. I don't have any deductible to meet at all. No one is required to buy from the Marketplace or buy a plan that includes a large deductible unless they are people whose policies are being heavily subsidized, and if that's the case, they most likely didn't have insurance before and they are still better off IMO..
I have yet to talk to anyone I know that is happy with the ACA, including a few that are completely subsidized. One for example, pays no premium due to low income, but one regular medicine (insulin) is costing her several hundred a month because it's not covered. Many like me had a great co-pay plan
but due to the cadillac plan tax it was eliminated by the employer in favor of a high-deductible with Health Savings Account. The monthly contribution is less but the combination of the annual out-of-pocket and the
contributions to the savings account (which we end up using most of) has cost us far more this year for the same services. Because "preventative" is required to be free to the patient, as people use that the insurers are raising rates to ensure the same profit margins, ours will be going up 10% in 2015.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 08:54 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have yet to talk to anyone I know that is happy with the ACA, including a few that are completely subsidized. One for example, pays no premium due to low income, but one regular medicine (insulin) is costing her several hundred a month because it's not covered. Many like me had a great co-pay plan
but due to the cadillac plan tax it was eliminated by the employer in favor of a high-deductible with Health Savings Account. The monthly contribution is less but the combination of the annual out-of-pocket and the
contributions to the savings account (which we end up using most of) has cost us far more this year for the same services. Because "preventative" is required to be free to the patient, as people use that the insurers are raising rates to ensure the same profit margins, ours will be going up 10% in 2015.
You can talk to me and my family, not subsidized and happy with Obamacare. As a physician it has been a net benefit to my hospital and practice and we are getting back a bunch of former Medicaid patients that were dropped years ago as they had no dependents.

Your friend is probably on a specialized insulin like Levimir or Byetta, and would most likely do very well on a more std variety. Many plans will cover the other insulins if the std ones are shown to be ineffective or have side effects.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:26 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
I must have auto insurance if I want to drive, why is a mandate to have health insurance different than this? especially when the evil government is actually paying a large portion of the cost for those who don't make enough to buy it?

YES, the Osamabots like anything that brings us closer to Osamanism.

Let's see........the government is now REQUIRING people to drive??????????????????? No, they are not......so those people choosing to NOT DRIVE do not have to buy auto insurance.

But the Osamabots feel fine with Osamacare forcing EVERYONE to buy
Osamacare-Insurance..........PAPERS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-21-2014, 06:18 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post

Let's see........the government is now REQUIRING people to drive??????????????????? No, they are not......so those people choosing to NOT DRIVE do not have to buy auto insurance.

WTH is an Osamabot?? Life requires me to drive, btw. That's my choice, ride a bike 20 miles to work if I don't want to get insurance? Is that really a choice for most people?? Why do you prefer paying for uninsured people out of tax dollars rather than personal responsibility and making them pay their own way?

Old 10-21-2014, 06:30 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,904,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post

Please explain how the ACA is forcing folks to buy health insurance? My wife's sister and one of her brothers don't have health insurance, the FBI has not shown up at their door, the CIA has not waterboarded either one into submitting, both have relied upon you and my taxpayer assistance for free or almost free health services.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:21 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
It's cute, some of trollers from the P&OC section are spreading out.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:22 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Please explain how the ACA is forcing folks to buy health insurance? My wife's sister and one of her brothers don't have health insurance, the FBI has not shown up at their door, the CIA has not waterboarded either one into submitting, both have relied upon you and my taxpayer assistance for free or almost free health services.
Youve been trolled.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:37 PM

7,930 posts, read 9,154,161 times
Quote:
WTH is an Osamabot?? Life requires me to drive, btw. That's my choice, ride a bike 20 miles to work if I don't want to get insurance? Is that really a choice for most people?? Why do you prefer paying for uninsured people out of tax dollars rather than personal responsibility and making them pay their own way?
However, most are not paying their own way under the ACA. Over 85% of the people signing up via exchanges last year received a subsidy. So truthfully, our tax dollars just shifted from paying an occasional ER visit to monthly subsidies directly to an insurance company.
States that agreed to expand Medicaid will be responible for an ever increasing percentage of its cost over the next few years. Our tax dollars will still continue to pay for it one way or another.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:29 PM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
However, most are not paying their own way under the ACA. Over 85% of the people signing up via exchanges last year received a subsidy. So truthfully, our tax dollars just shifted from paying an occasional ER visit to monthly subsidies directly to an insurance company.
States that agreed to expand Medicaid will be responible for an ever increasing percentage of its cost over the next few years. Our tax dollars will still continue to pay for it one way or another.
As someone who works in health care, I can tell you paying in the front (before it gets serious) is a heck of a lot cheaper than paying when it becomes serious, which is what happens most often with the uninsured. A doctors visit is a tiny fraction of what an ER visit costs. My point about taxes was to the poster who acted like "oh the poor people, being forced to buy insurance against their will!" when according to both our points, most of the people being "forced" are getting help to get their insurance. Those who don't qualify for help should have had insurance before.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:00 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
As someone who works in health care, I can tell you paying in the front (before it gets serious) is a heck of a lot cheaper than paying when it becomes serious, which is what happens most often with the uninsured. A doctors visit is a tiny fraction of what an ER visit costs. My point about taxes was to the poster who acted like "oh the poor people, being forced to buy insurance against their will!" when according to both our points, most of the people being "forced" are getting help to get their insurance. Those who don't qualify for help should have had insurance before.

HUM, I can almost bet that costs will NOT be contained with Osamacare.......there is no cheaper here, just cost shifting.

There is a reason some states did not want to expand Medicaid, it will be a boat anchor on their budgets in the future.

Osamacare is all about expanding Fedgov's power and having more control over the doltish Sheeple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics