Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 02:11 PM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
[1,000,000 (savings) -$150000 (student loan) ] / 30 (life expectancy) / 12 (months per year) = 2,361(less student loan payments)
= $1600.

Of course that assumes that I the loan amount doesn't increase like it is now.

Now,
It's not a Troll.
The government is trolling saying that Millionaires have too much money and need to pay their fair share.

The government is even talking about not allowing you unemployment benefits if you have $1M.

My point is that people who manage to save $1M and have no pension are not unduly rich.
and I'm tired of it showing up in every one of Obama's speeches.
Why aren't you JUST subtracting the student loan debt from your savings? You only really have $850,000. Once you use that as your starting point, there is no need to subtract "student loan payments" from what you can draw since it has already been taken out of the $1,000,000.

More importantly, you seem to assume you aren't investing any money and give the impression that you're not thinking about investing much. If that is the case, why should I be inclined to believe you managed to amass $1 million in the first place? I suspect either big inheritance or you're trolling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 02:30 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,602,240 times
I don't think millionaires in general are evil; but the ones who complain about how hard it is to get by with millions, and then mock people trying to live on $10/hr, are something else.

Old 10-19-2014, 02:44 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,410,406 times
seriously, let me borrow $50k

Old 10-19-2014, 04:34 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,714,475 times
I propose a surtax on millionaires who can't spell the very term by which they describe themselves.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:08 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I propose a surtax on millionaires who can't spell the very term by which they describe themselves.
Lol. Good catch!

Old 10-19-2014, 05:11 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
why just yesterday i couldn't spell millionaire and today i are one.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:35 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,075,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
Could i borrow some money?
I was just kidding i have no problem with millionaries if you work hards its your money and you cab do whatever you want my friend

Old 10-19-2014, 09:40 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
[1,000,000 (savings) -$150000 (student loan) ] / 30 (life expectancy) / 12 (months per year) = 2,361(less student loan payments)
= $1600.

Of course that assumes that I the loan amount doesn't increase like it is now.

Now,
It's not a Troll.
The government is trolling saying that Millionaires have too much money and need to pay their fair share.

The government is even talking about not allowing you unemployment benefits if you have $1M.

My point is that people who manage to save $1M and have no pension are not unduly rich.
and I'm tired of it showing up in every one of Obama's speeches.
So, when you add up your assets, and subtract your debts, are you worth over a mill? If not, you are not a millionaire.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:52 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
According to the IRS you have to pay taxes on employer provided housing, food, medical, transportation.
So no
There is no way he can abide by the same rules he has placed on others.
Not now or in the future.

Um, not always and often not.

Specifically, housing provided by an employer is NOT taxable income if

1. The lodging is:
    1. Furnished on the business premises of your employer,
    2. Furnished for the convenience of your employer, and
    3. A condition of your employment. (You must accept it in order to be able to properly perform your duties.)

There are many examples where an employer requires an employee to live onsite, e.g.

A manager of an RV park, trailer park, storage facility, etc is required to live onsite as a hands-on manager who also provides security after business hours.

The President is required to live in the White House - imagine one who commutes to the job!

I once applied for a church janitor job where the person was required to live onsite in order to be always available and to perform off-hours security.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:59 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,542,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Why aren't you JUST subtracting the student loan debt from your savings? You only really have $850,000. Once you use that as your starting point, there is no need to subtract "student loan payments" from what you can draw since it has already been taken out of the $1,000,000.

More importantly, you seem to assume you aren't investing any money and give the impression that you're not thinking about investing much. If that is the case, why should I be inclined to believe you managed to amass $1 million in the first place? I suspect either big inheritance or you're trolling.
If OP has $1M in the bank (or other relatively liquid assets), they are not getting a tax break on the interest paid against student loans, then they need to analyze why they are still carrying the loans.
  • Are they at a low enough interest rate that the $150K you would use to pay it off is making a higher rate of return than the amount you are paying on the loans? If so, then keep the loans.
  • Does your wife have loan principal forgiveness after a certain number of years of work? If so, you may want to keep the loan.
  • The loan interest deduction income threshold is fairly low, especially for dual income families in major metro areas. Can you exchange the student loan debt for another type of debt which would be deductible? [E.g. take cash you would have used to buy a rental property and pay the student loan off, buy the rental with a new loan which would potentially be deductible]
  • A little late at this point, but everyone should do a cost benefit analysis of higher education, especially post graduate/professional education which is not subsidized. How much income increase is realistic, how long will it take to obtain it and how much will it cost to achieve it (not just principal borrowed but total cost including interest)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics