Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 12:38 PM

1,152 posts, read 1,277,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Which makes the whole "if you fail to pay..." moot. Then the issue is "if you can no longer afford to pay..."
In such a case it doesn't matter whether you rent or own, house or trailer - if you can no longer afford to pay, you are screwed. Whether the desired lot in the desired place is zoned out of existence or not is a moot point if you have so little resources as to not be able to afford a trailer and means to move it.

If you can afford to own any of these outright it becomes less of a problem.

Ironically, I've seen several 2,000 to 3,000 sq foot lots for sale recently in jurisdictions that do not seem to zone them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 07:29 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
A homeowner is also de facto "kicked out" when property taxes go up. The difference is that you can take your home and move it if you have a mobile home. And if you fail to pay rent, you keep your home with a mobile home. If you fail to pay your property taxes, you lose land AND dwelling.

Many states - often through voter initiatives such as Prop 13 - have created property tax caps and other tools for protecting homeowners from 'being taxed out of their homes'. Renters are at the mercy of their landlords.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosopis View Post
Not if you are competent and responsible enough to have it moved yourself. But then you'd probably be responsible enough to pay the rent too.

sometiimes iit has nothing to do with whether or not you paid the lot rent; a number of trailer parks in Oregon have attempted to upgrade by excluding older trailers.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
sometiimes iit has nothing to do with whether or not you paid the lot rent; a number of trailer parks in Oregon have attempted to upgrade by excluding older trailers.
We were discussing eviction due to lack of rent payment - obviously what you are talking about would proceed differently.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:47 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,570,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
As long as public schools are funded by property taxes, good school systems will try to maximize their property tax/population ratio. Zoning is part of it.
Then they should allow an exception for any housing used exclusively by people without kids or whose youngest is over the age of 18.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Then they should allow an exception for any housing used exclusively by people without kids or whose youngest is over the age of 18.
I can't agree with you there.... it presumes that no one without kids benefits from public education.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
I can't agree with you there.... it presumes that no one without kids benefits from public education.

Then properties without school kids should at least be taxed at a lower rate; you certainly cannot argue that public education equally benefits people with and without kids in school.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:52 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,570,971 times
Quote:
They of course benefit from public education; however, most of that education is not local (is from other areas) because people usually don't stay in their childhood towns for decades (although some do).

So I stand by my policy proposal. There should be an exception for people without kids.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
They of course benefit from public education; however, most of that education is not local (is from other areas) because people usually don't stay in their childhood towns for decades (although some do).

So I stand by my policy proposal. There should be an exception for people without kids.
Nah, makes no sense. The country as a whole benefits from whatever degree of uniformity we've managed to work into public education. I'm not talking about standardized testing and the usual Department of Education BS - I'm talking about a kid from the wrong side of the tracks in podunk rural state having roughly the same education as rich kid from the big city.

The rather dopey idea that people's property taxes should reflect their reproductive choices would just aggravate the educational disparities we already see in public schools.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Nah, makes no sense. The country as a whole benefits from whatever degree of uniformity we've managed to work into public education. I'm not talking about standardized testing and the usual Department of Education BS - I'm talking about a kid from the wrong side of the tracks in podunk rural state having roughly the same education as rich kid from the big city.

The rather dopey idea that people's property taxes should reflect their reproductive choices would just aggravate the educational disparities we already see in public schools.

Many states have decided that property taxes should reflect tenure (own/rent) choices. How stupid and class warfare is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics