Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 03:39 PM

14,420 posts, read 14,344,428 times

Advertisements

Lessons learned from the Great Recession:

1. No job is secure unless you work for yourself.
2. Working for yourself is not secure unless you can be certain you won't run out of paying work.
3. The information age is slowly destroying most high paying jobs in this country. That isn't going to change. However, in a recession it becomes even more pronounced.
4. Low interest rates and deficit spending help turn an economy in recession around.
5. The time it takes to turn the economy around is longer than most people can understand.
6. Recessions bring out extremists. We've seen too many Paul Krugmans (who would have spent even more than our government did spend) and too many Tea Party types (who believed policies like "balancing the budget" would have helped this economy).
7. Older and younger workers are extremely vulnerable when an economy turns south.
8. Most of the cost of a recession is paid by the lowest earning workers.
9. Bank failures can and do happen even with federal deposit insurance.
10. Real estate prices can fluctuate more than people can imagine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 03:41 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,971,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Doesn't matter. I can't act on them. I have not recovered and never will. I hope my kids learn from my predicament that they need to save as much as they can as early as they can. I planned my retirement savings as if I was going to be able to continue to save until I retired. The loss of my engineering job stopped my ability to save. When I started teaching my plan was to put 50% of my raises away for retirement because I simply cannot live on what I make but there have been no raises. Thanks to the pay cut I got this year, I now make less than I did when I started in this district 5 years ago. At this rate, I will never be able to save for retirement again. In fact, I will likely have to start pulling money out of my IRA for living expenses because my pay is going down not up and prices are going up even if it is slowly. I'm in survival mode. If I could do it again I would have maxed out my 401k savings while I was an engineer. I didn't think I needed to because I was supposed to get a pension and I thought I had 20 more years to work as an engineer. The pension is gone and teachers don't get raises anymore. I'm very irritated because whey they hired me they showed me the pay increases I'd get and if I'd gotten them I'd be making $10k more than I am now but they didn't materialize. I don't expect a pay raise any time soon.

Here's how my pay has "progressed" since I started teaching:

The year I started the teachers took a pay cut, the next year pay was frozen, the following year I got one step increase (2%), then they froze our pay for the next year and this year we got a 5% cut. At this rate, I'll be paying them to work for them before I retire. A starting teacher salary is not enough to live off of and save for retirement but at least I'll have a small pension from this job....I HOPE I thought I'd have one for my engineering job and don't now. 17 years with one company down the tubes in a bankruptcy.

Get a Life/Health insurance license along with a licence to sell securities and sell insurance and investments part-time and during your summer break. You can make potentially good some very good money.

Depending what state your in with no licensing requirement if you don't want to go the financial services route consider selling legal and identity theft plans.

Old 11-01-2014, 04:47 PM

2,539 posts, read 3,109,528 times
Three good things that have developed from the Great Recession:

1. The decriminalization of the phrase, "I can't afford it."

2. The so-call mancession, which (unfortunately) hit male breadwinners hard, thus forcing their formerly unemployed wives to get jobs. Women in the workplace! YES.

3. It put the lie to the advice, "Buy as much house as you can afford." No more idiotic phrase has ever been spawned. It should have been (and should always be) "buy only about as much house as you need."

Old 11-01-2014, 05:43 PM

635 posts, read 785,870 times
I think we are in a depression. Masked by steadily increasing debt. And accounting tricks. The fed prints,i think its 80 million dollars a month just to pump into the markets. With all the unemployment and empty commercial buildings. Do you really see a 17000 stock market because the economy is smoking along? Job's have been leaving the U.S. like crazy for years, much of it because of NAFTA and other lousy trade deals made by our leaders.

Were lucky if a black swan event dosen't happen. Try this web site, The burning platform. It will really cheer you up with the truth.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:04 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,615,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
What do you think the main cause of the "Great Recession"(oxymoron) was also what is/are the lessons you learned from it? Have you recovered?
Too Much Leverage is a big problem. If I ever see asset prices going up to far in excess of fair valuation based on incomes or profits, due to injections of borrowed money, I'll turn around and run!!

Old 11-01-2014, 11:15 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,772,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
1) Don't ever let your mortgage payment exceed the amount of rent you can collect if you need to rent your house out.

This would preclude many people from buying homes in expensive markets like Honolulu, New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:37 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,681,637 times
I can echo others here. I learned that a lot of people and entities I thought I could trust (government, banks, professors at the time, etc.) really don't have all that much more information, capability to make accurate predictions or solid enough organization to save the day. I had learned that the rich will usually get richer (regardless of ethical or even legal transgressions), the economies of western cultures are in a major transformation. I have enough evidence to believe I ought to always live lightly: eschew consumerism... it has very little meaning when the S hits the F... have an incredible amount of savings and a highly diversified investment portfolio.... minimize life concerns to just 3 or 4 priorities, all of which are centered around survivability (economic vitality) and value system.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:18 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,387,811 times
I learned how much our economy doesn't seem to be based on actual wealth, but on debt.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:53 AM

6,403 posts, read 6,293,116 times
Don't be greedy.

DIVERSIFY.

Don't let greed keep you from diversifying!

The party won't last forever. ...

Old 11-02-2014, 01:02 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,740,842 times
Don't sell good stocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics