Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 09:16 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times

Advertisements

Paying someone more than their value to the company is simply welfare, raising the minimum wage to $15 is just shifting some of the burden from the taxpayers to the business owners. They will not tolerate it, and will respond by layoffs or higher prices, both, or going out of business. People go into business to make money, when they cannot, they do something about it. As I did in 2008 when I closed mine after 16 years and got a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 03:48 PM

1,967 posts, read 1,308,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Paying someone more than their value to the company is simply welfare, raising the minimum wage to $15 is just shifting some of the burden from the taxpayers to the business owners. They will not tolerate it, and will respond by layoffs or higher prices, both, or going out of business. People go into business to make money, when they cannot, they do something about it. As I did in 2008 when I closed mine after 16 years and got a job.
Hemlock, They, (i.e. enterprises and/or employees) when given no better option, always stand for it. I’m certain that NY City employers (in general) are upset that they must pay approximately $10/hour for people to mop their toilets and at those wage rates they must deal with constant employee turn-over.
If they attempt to include janitorial services within other employees job descriptions it will increase their net labor costs which also include the expenditures due to increased employee turn-over rates. If those employers could profit more by other means would be participating in enterprises with other business models.

You decided to separate from your enterprise in 2008 after 16 years. I can only speculate that the profits due to your enterprise were marginal, and/or you could not sustain your enterprise and/or you determined other pursuits were to your greater advantage, or for numerous other reasons were unable to continue operating your enterprise.

I am of the opinion if a workers going market rate is beyond an enterprises budget, there’s something wrong with the enterprise or the worker or the possibly the employer and/or the worker are in the wrong business.

Respectfully, Supposn

Old 12-02-2014, 03:54 PM

720 posts, read 705,855 times
Government control over free market wage has no place in American society pure and simple..

Old 12-02-2014, 06:43 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,059,948 times
People say that the min. wage needs to be raised because employees should be taken care of by employers, not the government. What this argument fails to realize is that employees who aren't seen as being worth a higher wage will simply be fired or have their hours reduced, again putting back into the caring hands of the gov't.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:42 AM

1,967 posts, read 1,308,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
People say that the min. wage needs to be raised because employees should be taken care of by employers, not the government. What this argument fails to realize is that employees who aren't seen as being worth a higher wage will simply be fired or have their hours reduced, again putting back into the caring hands of the gov't.
EddieOlSkool and MistofTime, the federal minimum wage affects ALL wage rates within the USA. The consequence of eliminating or permitting the purchasing power of the federal minimum rate to be decreased is the reduced purchasing powers of USAs median and ALL of our other wage scales; that is of net economic and social detriment to our nation.

EddieOlSkool, we agree if employers that do not perceive their own net advantage from an individuals labor will not hire or retain such individuals. I do not believe enterprises will choose to reduce such employees hours and suffer a partial share of unjustified expense or that employees are “taken care of by employers or by the government. Employees earn their pay.

Respectfully, Supposn

Old 12-03-2014, 08:51 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
Hemlock, They, (i.e. enterprises and/or employees) when given no better option, always stand for it. I’m certain that NY City employers (in general) are upset that they must pay approximately $10/hour for people to mop their toilets and at those wage rates they must deal with constant employee turn-over.
If they attempt to include janitorial services within other employees job descriptions it will increase their net labor costs which also include the expenditures due to increased employee turn-over rates. If those employers could profit more by other means would be participating in enterprises with other business models.

You decided to separate from your enterprise in 2008 after 16 years. I can only speculate that the profits due to your enterprise were marginal, and/or you could not sustain your enterprise and/or you determined other pursuits were to your greater advantage, or for numerous other reasons were unable to continue operating your enterprise.

I am of the opinion if a workers going market rate is beyond an enterprises budget, there’s something wrong with the enterprise or the worker or the possibly the employer and/or the worker are in the wrong business.

Respectfully, Supposn
My business ended thanks to the recession. My biggest customers were in commercial real estate, home builders and parking management, so when they stopped spending or went out of business my revenue took a dive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics