Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 04:37 AM

1,901 posts, read 1,829,480 times

Advertisements

My question still stands....WHO is making minimum wage in 2014? You have to be a flat out unskilled, late for work everyday, untalented, LOSER for your Employer to only pay you the bare minimum payment for your labor.

I don't get why this never comes up in these conversations to increase the minimum wage? Where the reason these individuals are still on minimum wage is not due to the horrible "economy" it's due to their horrible skill sets. This economy is producing more jobs in Retail and Restaurant sectors, I get that, but that doesn't mean you have to be paid the bare minimum. If you are only being paid minimum wage it's because you are a SORRY employee.

The Government has destroyed the overall Economy and direction of the country through bad Trade policies, over regulation, bad tax policy and allowing the Federal Reserve to do what they do....so instead of fixing the actual PROBLEMS, they want to distract the public with worthless debates on why we should give "Shaquesha" a raise in her minimum wage pay because she has 5 kids from 5 different thugs (who are currently locked up in 5 different prisons). Give me a break!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 04:58 AM

1,901 posts, read 1,829,480 times
kenneth,

Just reported your post as spam, you better remove it before you are banned sonny.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:14 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,059,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
My question still stands....WHO is making minimum wage in 2014? You have to be a flat out unskilled, late for work everyday, untalented, LOSER for your Employer to only pay you the bare minimum payment for your labor.

I don't get why this never comes up in these conversations to increase the minimum wage? Where the reason these individuals are still on minimum wage is not due to the horrible "economy" it's due to their horrible skill sets. This economy is producing more jobs in Retail and Restaurant sectors, I get that, but that doesn't mean you have to be paid the bare minimum. If you are only being paid minimum wage it's because you are a SORRY employee.

The Government has destroyed the overall Economy and direction of the country through bad Trade policies, over regulation, bad tax policy and allowing the Federal Reserve to do what they do....so instead of fixing the actual PROBLEMS, they want to distract the public with worthless debates on why we should give "Shaquesha" a raise in her minimum wage pay because she has 5 kids from 5 different thugs (who are currently locked up in 5 different prisons). Give me a break!
What about people who are down on their luck after a layoff and only know one skill for which no one else is hiring?

Say you worked in the steel industry for 25 years, but your company had massive layoffs. Your only skill is to work at the blast furnace. Now, you can't go back to school because you have mouths to feed and you can't get in debt. You need work NOW. All that is available is Mickey D's. Do you think it's fair to say you're a LOSER because of your circumstances?

Old 11-28-2014, 03:27 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Well, many conservative areas also have very low costs of living, as well. But minimum wage can't get you by in New York, even if it is $10/hr.

It's all about what you keep, not what you make. I'd rather make $18 an hour and spend $500 on rent than make $22 an hour and spend $900 on rent.
Why? $18/hour for 2000 hrs/year is $36,000. $6,000 for rent leaves you with $30,000 (I'm ignoring taxes for now).

$22/hour for 2k hrs/yr is $44,000. Subtract $10,800 for rent leaves you $33,200.

The taxes on $44,000 aren't really more than $3,200 higher than on $36,000. That would require a marginal rate of 40%!

Old 11-28-2014, 04:38 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,059,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Why? $18/hour for 2000 hrs/year is $36,000. $6,000 for rent leaves you with $30,000 (I'm ignoring taxes for now).

$22/hour for 2k hrs/yr is $44,000. Subtract $10,800 for rent leaves you $33,200.

The taxes on $44,000 aren't really more than $3,200 higher than on $36,000. That would require a marginal rate of 40%!
This is true, however Red States tend to have lower taxes AND other costs of living (like food, gas, etc) are much lower.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:20 AM

1,967 posts, read 1,308,190 times
Justification for our federal minimum wage rate being “pegged” to the Cost-Price Index.

I concur with the conservatives contending the existing theoretical market determined minimum wage applicable to the simplest tasks that can be performed by the least skilled and/or employable labor. In the absence of an effectively enforced minimum of greater rate, that theoretical indefinite rate is the market’s effective rate.
The greater stat’s minimum is the effective minimum rate within some states and the federal minimum is the effective minimum rate within the remainder of USA markets.

Unless there’s a shortage of minimum rate labor, employers of labor are at greater negotiating advantage to employees and job applicants for minimum rate jobs. In the absence of a labor shortage or an enforced minimum rate, the market determined minimum rate is a “race to the bottom”.
The market’s effective minimum rate affects ALL wage rates, but it does not affect them all equally. The minimum rate’s’ effect upon another rate is proportional and inverse to the difference between the two rates; (lesser job rates are greater and higher job rates are lesser effected by the minimum rate).

These behaviors of wage rates are the justification of the federal minimum wage rate which the entire federal court system has deemed within numerous cases to be constitutional.
I am a proponent of a federal minimum wage rate “pegged” to the price/cost index in order to retain the minimum rate’s purchasing power.

Respectfully, Supposn

Old 12-01-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
My question still stands....WHO is making minimum wage in 2014? You have to be a flat out unskilled, late for work everyday, untalented, LOSER for your Employer to only pay you the bare minimum payment for your labor. ...
Jotucker99, the questions as to who or how many or what proportion of employees earn precisely the minimum wage rate is inconsequential because ALL jobs’ rates are affected by the minimum wage rate.

Excerpted from post #76:
Unless there’s a shortage of minimum rate labor, employers of labor are at greater negotiating advantage to employees and job applicants for minimum rate jobs. In the absence of a labor shortage or an enforced minimum rate, the market determined minimum rate is a “race to the bottom”.
The market’s effective minimum rate affects ALL wage rates, but it does not affect them all equally. The minimum rate’s’ effect upon another rate is proportional and inverse to the difference between the two rates; (lesser job rates are greater and higher job rates are lesser effected by the minimum rate.

Respectfully, Supposn

Old 12-01-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataWarehouse View Post
As far as I know, raising the Min wage in Alabama to the same level that it is in NYC, would close businesses in Alabama.

In good continence I can not approve a drastic federal mandate like that. If say they raise it by under a dollar to fight the inflation, that's one thing, but a mandate to raise to $10 will hurt straggling small business.

I really don't know the cost of living numbers and economic data about Alabama, so how can I make a choice for them ?
EddieOSkool, Costa Express & Data Warehouse, prices do vary from state to state but the federal minimum wage rate is only a minimum, it has not hindered or required states’ to enforce effectively higher minimums’ within their own state.

Excerpted from post #76:
The greater state’s minimum is the effective minimum rate within some states and the federal minimum is the effective minimum rate within the remainder of USA markets.

Respectfully, Supposn

Old 12-01-2014, 12:22 PM

Business will be devastated by an increasing the federal minimum wage. Distribution, selling, processing or producing of all products in Alabama would again cease when the federal minimum wage is increased? How did Alabama survive the increased purchasing powers of their population’s net increased incomes each time the minimum was previously increased?

Refer to posts #76 & 78.
Respectfully, Supposn

Old 12-01-2014, 12:33 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
That's where financial education comes in first, teach people how to save/invest before devastating the local economy. But this isn't done, the education part normally comes afterwards if ever, and it's normally too late then if they aren't good with money to start with, they lose it right away.

Like you said, in a market's minimum is a race to the bottom while the managers and above are on a race to the top. Where does the switch happen? I support minimum wages for the sake that even if the top races slower, at least the bottom can keep up. There's not much of a race if there are only 2 racers left out of 100 because the rest are left behind in the dust. You lose out on competition and thus growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics