Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 08:22 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
It is. If your planet is wrecked it doesn't matter how good the economy is, we'll all be screwed.
Maybe you should tell that to China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 08:25 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Maybe you should tell that to China.
The Chinese are free to log in to C-D and read my comment.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:27 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
I was with you until the last sentence. Hundreds of years? Maybe you've confused total fossil fuel reserves with oil reserves, but in any case, at our current rate of fossil fuel usage, large portions of New York and Miami and other areas near sea level will have to be abandoned by 2100, and the world's food productions zones will be dramatically altered from the current ones. We must not allow this to occur.
First off, their is no man made global warming. Climate change happens all the time, it is called weather. Second the ice packs are stronger than they have been in years. The ocean covers 75% of the surface. If you were to take all the people and their stuff and place it in the same area of the Earth you would cover 1% of the planet maybe. People have not destroyed the planet. The planet is very healthy and doing just what it does best.

Founder of the Weather Channel explains the global warming hoax | Young Conservatives

Old 11-07-2014, 08:34 AM

1,152 posts, read 1,278,059 times
Quote:
It is. If your planet is wrecked it doesn't matter how good the economy is, we'll all be screwed.
Thinking that its acceptable to bend others to your immutable will and perfect understanding is a bit too fascist for my tastes.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:57 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosopis View Post
Thinking that its acceptable to bend others to your immutable will and perfect understanding is a bit too fascist for my tastes.
It's not my immutable will. It's basic physics.

I never supported a ban on high fuel consumption, just a disincentive. If that is sufficient to be fascist, then surely so are a number of others including taxes on alcohol and cigarettes?

Old 11-07-2014, 09:27 AM

671 posts, read 890,627 times
Energy cost go up and down to supply and demand.. There is a bottom price where all cost of production stops when the product can't sell without a profit..The actual cost of the raw oil is a small part of it's overall cost at the pump..In short even if the raw oil cost went down 30% there wouldn't be anywhere near a 30% reduction of energy at the pump.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:47 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Yeah, that'd really help the economy.
Short run no, long run yes.

What happens when oil shoots up again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosopis View Post
Some of these fellas seem to think that bending the rest of us to their version of morality is more important that trifles like the economy
An economy based on subsidized oil is not a strong economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Yeah, I see that too. Sorry, but when my kids can save money due to cheaper gas so they can come home to visit (as in this weekend), it's a good day.
I mean sure, I understand that. But when gas prices are cheap, Shelly gets to go drive her 10 MPG douchewagon more recklessly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Exactly. Typical liberal false-logic.

You can use as much or as little gas as you want, but low prices are good no matter what.
Using more gas creates more emissions. Don't let the facts get in the way.

Do you think it is good to accelerate climate change?

Old 11-07-2014, 09:51 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In_Correct View Post
I have read discussions on here how much people hate gas prices but they hate public transportation even more. Even if public transportation is subsidized, I think it is a solution to high gas prices.

I agree, to an extent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Please do think

Transportation really means the bus, unless you happen to live in a major city. Buses are less energy efficient than personal automobiles per passenger mile.
Actually no they're not, when the residual effects of traffic congestion and parking space are included. Subways are the best bet for rapid transit, as they eclipse both quite significantly.

I don't drive to work. I discovered this invention called a bicycle. Anyone living within 5 miles of work should be riding a bike. For healthy adults, even 5-15 miles is a doable commute. Mine is 8 miles and takes roughly 30-35 minutes in traffic.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
It's not my immutable will. It's basic physics.

I never supported a ban on high fuel consumption, just a disincentive. If that is sufficient to be fascist, then surely so are a number of others including taxes on alcohol and cigarettes?
Perhaps such subjects are best left to the politics forum, where they belong.

Incentives and disincentives through tax programs are all very well. The attitude that all others should follow your opinion on correct behavior at all costs is not.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
An economy based on subsidized oil is not a strong economy.
True enough. However I believe the same is true for an economy based on any effort to manipulate behavior based on subsidies or tax structures of any kind.

In some cases, doing so is a necessary weakness (like we were discussing with education and property taxes in the other thread).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics