Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 12:48 PM

847 posts, read 1,351,818 times

Advertisements

I know what I can and cannot afford and but I promise you this. I can afford a lot more than people would think I can by the way I dress. I don't need to wear $100+ designer jeans and $50+ shirts just because I can afford to do so. It's Levis and hoodies or t-shirts for me when I'm not working. Even then, I still don't shop at Jos. A Bank's.

Besides, I could care less. I am sick of people trying to sell me things. I am happy when they don't talk to me. I even hate ads on TV, the Internet, and the radio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 01:58 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
This could be anything from newspaper subscription to solar power panels, etc while walking the mall or grocery store.

Do you feel slighted if they seem to approach everyone walking by but somehow skip you. Do you look at yourself and your clothes to see what threw them off to not even approach you. Or maybe you throw off a vibe that you're unapproachable or have that certain scowl that says "hey don't bother me"

Or do you just brush it off and thank god they didn't try to talk to you?

Thoughts
No. I feel relieved that I escaped their clutches.

Old 11-11-2014, 03:26 PM

587 posts, read 915,861 times
I was irritated once when someone pitched a 'Mastermind' group to the person sitting next to me at a business workshop. I later learned that the group was actually some sort of MLM scam and felt better about myself

Old 11-11-2014, 03:32 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
No, I feel lucky.

Old 11-11-2014, 03:47 PM

993 posts, read 1,561,026 times
I have the opposite problem. There can be literally dozens of people in front of me, and for some reason salespeople/activists/panhandlers tend to choose me to talk to.

I always feel the need to check my hand mirror after these encounters to make sure that I don't have the word "sucker" written on my forehead or something. Why else would they always zero in on me?

Old 11-11-2014, 03:58 PM

574 posts, read 696,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
I have the opposite problem. There can be literally dozens of people in front of me, and for some reason salespeople/activists/panhandlers tend to choose me to talk to.

I always feel the need to check my hand mirror after these encounters to make sure that I don't have the word "sucker" written on my forehead or something. Why else would they always zero in on me?
Perhaps the way you look or act makes you appear very approachable? I can make myself look very approachable or unapproachable depending only on my body posture and facial expression.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:22 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
This could be anything from newspaper subscription to solar power panels, etc while walking the mall or grocery store.

Do you feel slighted if they seem to approach everyone walking by but somehow skip you. Do you look at yourself and your clothes to see what threw them off to not even approach you. Or maybe you throw off a vibe that you're unapproachable or have that certain scowl that says "hey don't bother me"

Or do you just brush it off and thank god they didn't try to talk to you?

Thoughts
I am thrilled when they leave me alone.

Sam's Club lately has been driving me crazy. They always have some 3rd party vendor trying to sell crap. Last time I was there, a saleswoman walked up to me and asked for my hand. I said no thanks, and she said, "It's just hand cream!" NO!!! I don't want your crappy lotion. I don't even want your good lotion! Don't touch me. Leave me alone! So I said, "I hate being harassed while trying to simply buy my groceries. Good day." She slinked away. I was PO'd.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:43 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentGrad1 View Post
Perhaps the way you look or act makes you appear very approachable? I can make myself look very approachable or unapproachable depending only on my body posture and facial expression.
Death stare. Learn it. Use it. Love it.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:59 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
Death stare. Learn it. Use it. Love it.
Love it!!

Old 11-11-2014, 06:05 PM

96 posts, read 125,185 times
I feel quite blessed when they ignore me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics