Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2014, 08:19 AM

248 posts, read 259,282 times

Advertisements

I don't get all the whining about the economy... I graduated in May with a computer engineering degree and got a job within a few months making a good salary. To be fair I'm in a pretty in demand field but I see job openings all the time. More people need to major in Comp Sci!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 08:20 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
What was your point in starting this thread? You have not actively participated in the discussion.

Are you a millennial and upset about the economy? What is YOUR position on this topic since you created a thread about it?
He's a Millennial and like similar threads of this nature, it was started so the same old's could hop on board to bash the baby boomers. We've seen it many times in the W and E forum.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:24 AM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
You mean this is all about someone doesn't like their grandpa because he won't give them any more money?

Old 11-17-2014, 08:28 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalhop View Post
If you have a really good pension, you made top dollar. The high wage is spread out over your lifetime.

If an IT worker makes $120K a year and somehow manages to save a third of their take home pay until they get replaced by a 20-something at age 50, then works at Starbucks until they retire at age 67, they can look forward to living in a tent.

Nothing against you. You were lucky to live in the times you did, financially speaking. Today's youth are absolutely screwed in comparison.
Does Starbucks hire 50 year olds?

I would think if 50 yr old gets "replaced" for no good reason (age discrimination) then he/she still has a good amount of earning years ahead, would not give up and take a minimum wage job until retirement age. I don't know any productive employees from my old company who were replaced like that and those who left became consultants or got other IT related jobs, or became self employed doing something else that they chose. I just really don't know smart people in that age group that would give up so easily, we were taught to get back up on the horse and push ahead for what we want or need, unlike the younger generation.

If that person was forced out and just accepted the bad situation for twenty years, I think they probably were a dead wood worker who was allowed to stay too long at their previous high paying job. We were told back in the nineties to start viewing ourselves as independent contractors, even if we were long time employees.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:30 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
He's a Millennial and like similar threads of this nature, it was started so the same old's could hop on board to bash the baby boomers. We've seen it many times in the W and E forum.

He has a job right (not even sure of that)? His focus should be on his job and living his life instead of worrying about baby boomers and spending countless hours here posting. I just don't get all of the endless complaining. It's fine to vent, but at some point you need to move on and leave all the complaining behind.

I don't know. It just reeks of someone who isn't happy and who may not even be employed and is angry due to that fact.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:23 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,787 times
I am so tired of older people bashing the younger generations for being lazy.

I'm 40 yo, and if I'm being honest, I'd say the generations younger than mine are smarter, more talented, better spoken, and more productive than mine or the boomers. And they better be as this economy is atrocious compared to when I grew up! How soon we forget that it wasn't always like this. My parents were never required to work around the clock, they didn't make a lot of money, yet we could afford to live in a nice house in a nice neighborhood, and we never wanted for anything. Try doing that today! It wouldn't happen, the numbers don't come close to working.

I've never bought the notion that school is 'dumbed down' nowadays. Kids are learning things much younger than I ever did and you can really see it in the way that they speak, the way they write, and the way they think.

Do you know what really bothers me as well? All of the condescending economic advice that I see on this forum directed at those trying to eek out a middle class lifestyle. Some of it is unrealistic, some of it downright ridiculous, some of it is even sound, but that's not the point. The point is that a collectively self imposed dramatically reduced standard of living is a bad idea for everyone. No one should be willing to accept it in today's day and age.

What we need, as a people, are more well paying jobs. Period. That's the bottom line.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:32 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times
I think its rather funny that baby boomers told us to go to college in order to get a better job (because that's how it worked in their day) and now that the economy is crap and legislation has jacked up tuition its "Well you made the choice to go in debt, stupid you." Face it baby boomers, you raised us. We are the result of your parenting skills.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:37 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
I think its rather funny that baby boomers told us to go to college in order to get a better job (because that's how it worked in their day) and now that the economy is crap and legislation has jacked up tuition its "Well you made the choice to go in debt, stupid you." Face it baby boomers, you raised us. We are the result of your parenting skills.
The other criticism I see all the time that I find to be really unfair-

'get some training'

or,

'increase your skills'

or

'learn a trade'

'take classes at night'

What training? What skills? What trade? What classes?
When engineers can't get hired in this economy, a few computer classes at night isn't going to help, either.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:19 AM

492 posts, read 1,041,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
Also, with 700000 in savings, you can invest in real estate property and get rental income. A one bedroom condo in many cities can be less than 100000. Pay with cash, and get $800 rent per month. Not bad. That covers your housing cost after mortgage and perhaps food too. Where is the crisis?
The $800 rent nets $400 max after expenses. The $700K will be whittled down considerably while the worker is making less than a living wage at Starbucks, even after moving into a studio. The home isn't paid off at age 50 while also saving a third of take-home pay; after all, it took many years to save up the $60K down payment. The house is sold when the worker is unemployed for a year, until finally a minimum wage place consents to hire despite the worker being overqualified. The worker dips into savings at the tune of $1K per month to cover living expenses.

When the worker retires at age 67, they have $300K left. Social Security is paying $800 a month, only 60% of what was originally promised. Not knowing how much life remains, and with rising health costs, the worker responsibly decides that tent living is the best choice.

This is a worker who stayed single, childless, frugal, and was lucky enough to have no major health issues. In a more likely scenario there could have been a divorce and excessive child support, or $100K for 2 kids attending the local college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:19 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Maybe you were listening to the wrong boomers (such as Obama). Do you do everything you are told to do? Or do you use your own brain to guide you? If you went to college and racked up debt - did you earn a degree in a useful field or did it prepare you to work at Starbucks?

I am a boomer, with millenial children. They did go to college. Guess who paid for it? They are the product of my parenting (with my wife of course). They are entering the job market equipped well for future success, all things considered.
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics