Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 03:34 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times

Advertisements

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-1...unfair-economy

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-14-2014 at 11:09 PM.. Reason: Copyright violation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 04:04 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
I think part of the problem is that this is a blog post from an extremist website submitted by "Tyler Durden."

Old 11-14-2014, 04:20 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,745,101 times
So they are mad that they made a choice to go into debt and cannot find decent jobs, what could they do?

Oh I know maybe instead of everybody going to 4 years schools maybe some of them should go to trade schools, and learn a decent trade, then they do not have the debt and maybe some of my clients can find help so they can actually build their businesses.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:03 PM

981 posts, read 1,620,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
So they are mad that they made a choice to go into debt and cannot find decent jobs, what could they do?

Oh I know maybe instead of everybody going to 4 years schools maybe some of them should go to trade schools, and learn a decent trade, then they do not have the debt and maybe some of my clients can find help so they can actually build their businesses.
People seem to think that trades are bustling and that you can make all the money in the world doing them. They are neither bustling nor is the money that great, especially when you factor in the extremely strenuous work involved that breaks you down day by day. And you know what will happen when all these people stream into the trades because people rave about them? They will bottom out because there will be too many people chasing jobs that don't exist.

I work as an electrician. I hate the damn job. It isn't a good career at all.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:21 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,567,541 times
What a pile of steaming you know what.

Most of this fall out in the economy is due to the outsourcing of our economy to China, Russia, India, and whomever. Our jobs are gone and many are also disappearing because of the Internet and automation.

The Great Recession affected all of us and it is still going on.

We ''Baby Boomers'' worked hard and paid into SS and Medicare and UI and that is OUR money that we are drawing on retirement and SS disability.

These Millennials need to get out of mom and dad's basements and get out and work. Any work. They can pay into the SSA if they can get off their duffs.

But many of them have such a sense of entitlement that all they want to do is sit and play on their iPhones and WHINE about how rough they have it.

Ain't buyin' it.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:30 PM

741 posts, read 914,392 times
Don't worry!
Tech start-ups are going to soak up all those jobs!
Everyone is just a resume away from working at an uber-cool place that makes apps for managing apps that manage apps where you can drink beer all day and get unlimited vacation and everyone plays ping-pong at lunch.

Man, the 'new economy' is so great!

Sarcasm aside, Millenials are a classic case of a group that causes most of their own problems nevertheless having some valid complaints.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:43 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post

We ''Baby Boomers'' worked hard and paid into SS and Medicare and UI and that is OUR money that we are drawing on retirement and SS disability.

These Millennials need to get out of mom and dad's basements and get out and work. Any work. They can pay into the SSA if they can get off their duffs.

But many of them have such a sense of entitlement that all they want to do is sit and play on their iPhones and WHINE about how rough they have it.

Ain't buyin' it.
Um...

How is it your money just because you paid in? Where does money come from specifically.. 75% of infrastructure spending is government and we've been running a deficit for quite some time. Money is printed up and given out at rock bottom rates. QE 1, QE 2, QE 3...etc

Not everyone pays in SSA to start with. Railroads had pension before SSA even was in existence (they pay 11 %), local government employees, state government employees and I believe federal government do not either.

It is ironic to imply as if there must be some form of loyalty given that their parents and grandparents were screwed over by companies and yet somehow baby boomers are shocked when younger generations have to move for work. If the system is to work then simply hire younger workers. Retire so people pay into the systems and it becomes complete. There is nothing wrong with retirement. Spend time with kids, grandkids..heck point and laugh at people still working getting stuck in traffic

The other thing to keep in mind is frankly people do not retire on SSA and Medicare they have 401k's. So who exactly is supposed to buy all of these stocks, houses, cars, precious metals, bonds and other forms of investment when they retire?

Consider this. In order for me to sell you a bond that yields at best maybe 1% I have to pass a series 7 test which is 250 muliple choice questions. To sell you a house all I need is a four hour class to get a real estate license...does anyone see anything else wrong with this?

Besides "fairness" is subjective is not an absolute.If you know how to use the internet you can find job postings before other people, if you take summer and winter classes you can hedge against education inflation and of course you can under a 529 plan. Then there's always testing out of whole subjects. Many of the statements are half truths.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:48 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Unfair economy? Economies are neither fair, or unfair. They just are. That kind of wording displays a mindset that illustrates what the true problem with some millennials really is.

In addition, the title of the article is misleading as it should read 'some' millennials. We have heard from some very level-headed, mature millennials here who don't buy into any of this pap. While some have continued to post how unfair life has been, how they can't get a break after years of toiling away, the other group has been busy moving forward because they put their time and energy into bettering themselves instead of posting about the unfairness of it all in some forum.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:50 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post

If they didn't get into debt, you'd be calling them "lazy" for not going to college.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:51 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
What a pile of steaming you know what.

Most of this fall out in the economy is due to the outsourcing of our economy to China, Russia, India, and whomever. Our jobs are gone and many are also disappearing because of the Internet and automation.

The Great Recession affected all of us and it is still going on.

Ain't buyin' it.
That's really funny coming from somebody who all but just admitted that it's basically pointless to work since all the jobs are gone. Make up your mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics