Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 03:01 PM

275 posts, read 332,537 times

Advertisements

If American citizens (who have resources to better themselves with education, but chose not to)has to compete with illegal immigrants for low skilled jobs, then that is a shame. That's your problem.

They are called loans, grants, scholarships...

A lot of my classmates work 2-3 jobs to be able to afford college, want to know why?... so later in life they don't have to worry about having to compete with unskilled workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 03:56 PM

6,395 posts, read 6,286,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
So are you willing to dedicate that marginal revenue to the working class legals whose livelihoods have been endangered?

Didn't think so.
OF COURSE I WOULD. Why wouldn't I ? Where else would you assume I'd like it to go? To fund wars?

Don't assume anything about my views please.

Old 11-23-2014, 03:57 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,946,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhitegocubs View Post
I love the grand conclusions that get drawn after mid-term elections. The reality is that liberal young people and minorities do not vote in mid-terms. That's the primary explanation. White people aren't becoming more conservative, it's just that older and more conservative white people vote in larger quantities in mid-terms.

Polls of all eligible voters always trend well left of actual results. My generation (I'm 30) is just very apathetic about politics. But it was this way in the "Tea Party Wave" of 2010 and yet Dems won (by percentage of overall votes) at all levels in 2012. Only natural and artificial gerrymandering kept the Dems from reclaiming even the house in 2012. The difference is that one was a mid term and one had a Presidential election.

But hey, yeah, not deporting some small additional percentage of people who are already here doing mostly low wage work are crowding out the well educated and really causing the macroeconomic issues in the labor market all over the developed world, right?

Please.
That's what the Democrats claim. They are living in a fantasy world, unable to accept that, district by district, Americans prefer more conservative candidates. Only in the university towns, unionized industrial areas (what's left of them), and big cities full of public benefits recipients do the Democrats do well.

The Democrats also claim to be the champions of "people of color", women, and immigrants. They claim that the Republicans are mostly old wealthy white men. This, too, is wrong, though it sounds right because of course Blacks are mostly Democrats and the Democrats have successfully portrayed the GOP as waging a "war on women".

Unfortunately for the Democrats, there is a rising generation of younger female and black political leaders on the Republican side. Furthermore, Hispanic voters are not necessarily liberals; although Obama won their support in two elections, Bush won their support previously.

If the GOP finally gets a clue about social issues, which some of them are doing, they will dominate the 2016 election cycle and force the Democrats to move more to the center.

Really, the hard Left faction of the Democrats (the Occupy Wall Street and Elizabeth Warren types) should form a different political party, say, the Liberal Democrats. Likewise, the social conservatives in the Republican Party should form their own party and get out of the way of the fiscal conservatives and foreign policy hawks. Our two party system is just not representative.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:12 PM

6,395 posts, read 6,286,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
That's what the Democrats claim. They are living in a fantasy world, unable to accept that, district by district, Americans prefer more conservative candidates. Only in the university towns, unionized industrial areas (what's left of them), and big cities full of public benefits recipients do the Democrats do well.

----Data?

The Democrats also claim to be the champions of "people of color", women, and immigrants. They claim that the Republicans are mostly old wealthy white men. This, too, is wrong, though it sounds right because of course Blacks are mostly Democrats and the Democrats have successfully portrayed the GOP as waging a "war on women".

--- Can you really deny that mandated ultrasounds and debating what is"legitimate rape" is not misogynistic?

Unfortunately for the Democrats, there is a rising generation of younger female and black political leaders on the Republican side. Furthermore, Hispanic voters are not necessarily liberals; although Obama won their support in two elections, Bush won their support previously.

-- Why do you think that is? Did you already forget that Bush was pro immigrants?

If the GOP finally gets a clue about social issues, which some of them are doing, they will dominate the 2016 election cycle and force the Democrats to move more to the center.

-- After what Rs have shown themselves to be over the last few years, I highly doubt their capacity to do this. THEY have to come more into the center. They need to stop preaching and accept that no one wants a second coming of the moral majority except for mid term voters who, yes, ARE INDEED old white voters.

Really, the hard Left faction of the Democrats (the Occupy Wall Street and Elizabeth Warren types) should form a different political party, say, the Liberal Democrats. Likewise, the social conservatives in the Republican Party should form their own party and get out of the way of the fiscal conservatives and foreign policy hawks. Our two party system is just not representative.
---- I agree that there seems to be more like 4 parties rather than 2. But the votes would ultimately go to D or R. To start only 1 new party now means death to the party that splits.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:12 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,025,586 times
Quote:

It's not a claim, it's statistical fact.

Look at population movements/concentrations.

Quote:
Hispanics are naturally conservative. But... The GOP doesn't make the party very welcoming to them. As for the rest, you're crazy.

Quote:

Can't disagree with you there. Social issues are largely why I've turned against the GOP. They're a bunch of clowns that largely focus on social issues I don't care about.

- Gay Marriage: Beyond me why anyone cares. Has no impact on you.
- Gun Rights: Nobodies trying to take those away. A lot of liberals have guns too.
- Abortion: Same as gay marriage. It's their bodies. It's a personal choice.
- “The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president,” Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell. Seriously the GOP needs to just accept they lost to Obama and move on. Then... Maybe... The country will accomplish something. 6 years later still waiting for that.

I want to hear about actual, realistic economic issues. Policy issues. Enough of the song and dance.

As a side note, wouldn't hurt if they'd shun the illiterates like Steel and the "god father"

Old 11-23-2014, 04:18 PM

30,904 posts, read 36,989,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Corporate power is the real director of political action in the US, the charade of the two parties being much different is one of political necessity, in other words it gives the proles an opportunity to think they are in power via the democratic system of voting. This is how we came to the point of political theatre being the thing that gives hope to each party. At this juncture the Republicans are probably getting some of the vote just because they posture themselves as the opposite of Democratic party ideology, of course things won't change much, yeah a few bones (XL pipe) thrown to the cheerleaders, but the "other team" getting the White House will give their followers their own brand of "hope and change".
I don't agree with every point, but this was an excellent post. The one thing I'd say about corporations is that they are just another vehicle used by a small elite to maintain power and control. The education system, organized religion, etc.....all are just vehicles. If we just isolate only one vehicle and identify it as the source of our problems, then we will be continually be manipulated as the elite will just re-emphasize or create some new vehicle to maintain power. This has already happened with organized religion. It used to have a lot more power in Western countries than it does now...but the elite have just shifted their methods of maintaining power to different vehicles in their power matrix.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:33 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,004,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The white working class has been drifting away from Democrats, they seem to be losing a little bit with every presidential cycle. I've never seen voters broken out this way, but I suspect that the Subsidy Class is the only working class segment the party still has solidly. (Hence the urgency to pass Obamacare and expand Medicaid.)

The white working class is also apart of the Subsidy Class. Don't make the mistake of assuming that poor white people are somehow more noble than poor minorities. If they need food stamps and Medicaid, they'll apply for it and use it like anyone else.

Poor white people have avoided aligning themselves with blacks, since before the Civil War. The elite in both parties know this and have each used it in the past; first Democrats long ago and now Republicans more recently.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:47 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,004,256 times
Quote:

In my experience, blacks are actually more (socially) conservative than either Latinos or whites. White social conservatism is more about discomfort with race relations and less about religious fundamentalism and values. White conservatives want to use Latino's as a sort of "model minority" to juxtapose against blacks, since Asian numbers just aren't high enough. Latino's tend to become white people after several generations unless they live in strongholds like Texas, New Mexico etc., with long standing tradition and culture. The G.O.P. doesn't see much reason to woo blacks since they'd have to give up the Bubba vote...a losing proposition.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:18 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,220,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul91 View Post
If American citizens (who have resources to better themselves with education, but chose not to)has to compete with illegal immigrants for low skilled jobs, then that is a shame. That's your problem.

They are called loans, grants, scholarships...

A lot of my classmates work 2-3 jobs to be able to afford college, want to know why?... so later in life they don't have to worry about having to compete with unskilled workers.
So in other words, you are repeating the same conservative e talking points. Don't have a job? Get a job. Too poor? Help yourself. Miserable? Blame yourself.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:30 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,220,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
It's not a claim, it's statistical fact.

Look at population movements/concentrations.

Hispanics are naturally conservative. But... The GOP doesn't make the party very welcoming to them. As for the rest, you're crazy.

Can't disagree with you there. Social issues are largely why I've turned against the GOP. They're a bunch of clowns that largely focus on social issues I don't care about.

- Gay Marriage: Beyond me why anyone cares. Has no impact on you.
- Gun Rights: Nobodies trying to take those away. A lot of liberals have guns too.
- Abortion: Same as gay marriage. It's their bodies. It's a personal choice.
- “The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president,” Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell. Seriously the GOP needs to just accept they lost to Obama and move on. Then... Maybe... The country will accomplish something. 6 years later still waiting for that.

I want to hear about actual, realistic economic issues. Policy issues. Enough of the song and dance.

As a side note, wouldn't hurt if they'd shun the illiterates like Steel and the "god father"
I do not agree with the GOP on social issues either. But that doesn't just drive me to the democrats.

The GOP will be more accepting. Strategically and naturally. Today's young people tend to be more socially liberal and grew up in a more diverse society. Future members and leaders of the republcian party will come from this generation. Things do change.

I want to point out two things.
One. Becoming reasonable on social issues will work in republicans favor. It will give reasons for many groups to go for the republicans, whereas currently these easily republcian supporting voters find that party hostile to them.

Second. Social issues are separate from fiscal issues. Growing up on diversity doesn't mean fiscal liberalism. By contrast, many young people are socially liberal and fiscally conservative. The Democratic Party isn't entirely wrong about the demographic trends for them. But they do subscribe to myths. That party represents disparate interests. Mostly groups left out by the GOP. That's the only commonality. Hispanics don't necessarily champion women's rights. Blacks aren't all for immigration. Asians do have very high median household income. Gay men may not want high property tax. This romantic all groups supporting one another on the left is an illusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics