Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 07:17 PM

75 posts, read 152,136 times

Advertisements

I'm set to graduate college this December and trying to get a job lined up, but there's one problem. In the past, every job I applied for turned me down except Vector Marketing, and I have a feeling it'll continue to happen, even though my sister helped polish my resume. I also keep coming across advice online such as "don't apply online" or "sneak through the back door before jobs get advertised", and all of this is just like the pick-up artist techniques, which are bogus ways to help guys get dates. Anyways, I also post on the Happier Abroad forum, and on that site, I found why it's impossible for millennial men to get a job these days - the job market today favors women, baby-boomers, Americans aged 30-60, LGBT, and the elite. Are people from all these categories really taking jobs away from young men who just graduated college? And are young men ending up back in their parents' homes for at least 10 years if not for life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 07:20 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,253,323 times
xyz men do not have a good reputation for being worker bees

Old 11-22-2014, 07:46 PM

75 posts, read 152,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
xyz men do not have a good reputation for being worker bees
So they're basically giving up in the job market?

Old 11-22-2014, 07:53 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,239,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHanson9398 View Post
I'm set to graduate college this December and trying to get a job lined up, but there's one problem. In the past, every job I applied for turned me down except Vector Marketing, and I have a feeling it'll continue to happen, even though my sister helped polish my resume. I also keep coming across advice online such as "don't apply online" or "sneak through the back door before jobs get advertised", and all of this is just like the pick-up artist techniques, which are bogus ways to help guys get dates. Anyways, I also post on the Happier Abroad forum, and on that site, I found why it's impossible for millennial men to get a job these days - the job market today favors women, baby-boomers, Americans aged 30-60, LGBT, and the elite. Are people from all these categories really taking jobs away from young men who just graduated college? And are young men ending up back in their parents' homes for at least 10 years if not for life?
No. Women are getting more job offers because more of them went to college. None of my friends that went to school had any trouble getting a job and we are all millennials. Why would you even listen to advice from people that said employers prefer boomers to someone that is in their 20's?

Old 11-23-2014, 12:18 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Sounds like you're just looking for a group of people to blame for your failure to get a job so far. You're not competing with boomers for new grad jobs. LGBT people generally aren't walking around handing out résumés with pink triangles and rainbows on them, either.
Quote:
I also keep coming across advice online such as "don't apply online" or "sneak through the back door before jobs get advertised", and all of this is just like the pick-up artist techniques, which are bogus ways to help guys get dates.
It's actually very good advice. Go to your college's career fair, résumé in hand and dressed halfway decently, and actually meet people from companies you might want to work for.

You should've also tried to find an internship or something. In excess of 80% of GE's new grad hires are former interns.

Old 11-23-2014, 03:43 AM

30,105 posts, read 18,921,258 times
Here's the politically incorrect (aka correct answer). Women as a group are better at some tasks than men. Women also cause a lot of drama in the workplace. Who doesn't want to hire a 23 yo female?

As a man, if you don't offer a unique skill that employers need, you better get one or take jobs that women don't want to do. Another option is to start your own company. Don't be a wimp.

I've worked 23 years either in my own company or corporations and I don't see a problem with motivated men getting jobs and promoted. Women may be hired more readily but have a harder time advancing...this is my personal observation.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:27 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,184,843 times
If you mean white women absolutely but all women? Nope

For example black women 'Dying Out Here': U.S. Job Gains Leave Black Women Behind - NBC News

Old 11-23-2014, 09:12 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,721,623 times
It is more, what degree you got from your college. Some degrees (harder ones to get) have more jobs available than granduates, the graduate can pick and choose and start at about $100,000. Some other degrees, have a huge surplus of graduates over jobs, and it is very difficult to find a job. And these surplus degrees, pay about 1/3rd the wages of the in demand degrees.

FACT: Some degrees are called worthless degrees, and if you do find a job, expect a very low salary. If you have one of the worthless degrees, it is the degree you have, for the fact you cannot find a job. In other words, you made a bad career
choice, and you are now suffering the consequences of your degree.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:01 AM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,077,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHanson9398 View Post
no; women are less efficient than men in the workplace because they can't focus the way a man can. the problem with you is that you might live in a very bad area that's far away from the major cities that have a lot of growth (San Francisco, Houston, Dallas/Fort Worth, NYC, Chicago, Seattle, etc)

Old 11-24-2014, 10:14 AM

30,105 posts, read 18,921,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonez765 View Post
no; women are less efficient than men in the workplace because they can't focus the way a man can. the problem with you is that you might live in a very bad area that's far away from the major cities that have a lot of growth (San Francisco, Houston, Dallas/Fort Worth, NYC, Chicago, Seattle, etc)
Well, yes and no. Because of the way men´s vs women´s brains work, men have the ability to focus on a particular tak to a greater degree than do women. On the other hand, women are able to multi tak becasue they are working on several things at once in their brains. So it depends on what the job is as to which is better suited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics