Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 09:11 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,148,198 times

Advertisements

If you believe the government numbers, I'm doing OK. I don't believe the numbers, not one bit. If I go by what my gut feel is, I'm losing a little ground each year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 11:30 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,300,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
I am starting to understand what they are talking about when people discuss the middle class squeeze. My wife is a perfect example. She works for the government and has been doing the same job for 8 years. Each year she is doing a better job as her skills grow and she gets more eduation and training, but she keeps the same job title. Each year she get a 3.5% merit increase. This is the raise everyone who is considered a good worker gets. While the offical inflation rate is about 4%, most people know the real inflation rate is closer to 7%. So each year she has 3.5% less buying power than in previous years. So in 8 years, since she started her job which requires a Masters Degree, she has lost about 30% in her standard of living.

How about you, do you have a higher standard of living than in 2000? (if you have been working full time since then)
has my wage increase kept up with inflation? Hell to the nah

Old 01-04-2008, 11:42 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,510,410 times
She got a raise of 3.5%? Be grateful. In the private sector, getting raises is just a memory. Did I mention benifits have also gone the way of the Dinosaur?

Old 01-05-2008, 08:12 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,912,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I just recieved a 2.3% raise in my pension.
Don't you feel lucky...?! I estimate at least 30% loss of my purchasing power since about 5 years ago! If not more... And I get annual "raises" considered to be good... First of all, that's not a raise, but cost-of-living increase and no, it doesn't keep up with real inflation one bit! Many people say they're forced to jump from job to job in order to get a decent increase of salary.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:39 PM

37,214 posts, read 60,926,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Don't you feel lucky...?! I estimate at least 30% loss of my purchasing power since about 5 years ago! If not more... And I get annual "raises" considered to be good... First of all, that's not a raise, but cost-of-living increase and no, it doesn't keep up with real inflation one bit! Many people say they're forced to jump from job to job in order to get a decent increase of salary.
Lucky? ah, maybe. I get a COL raise every year. Choose your profession and you get the results of that choice.

'purchasing power'? I do not necessarily buy into the math that is used to form that argument. I get raises, I budget my money and I invest. My investments grow at a far higher rate than does inflation. So despite our inflation my Net Worth has grown. I am retired now, and still my investment portfolio is growing. I have no serious issue with our inflation.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:46 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,148,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
She got a raise of 3.5%? Be grateful. In the private sector, getting raises is just a memory. Did I mention benifits have also gone the way of the Dinosaur?
Good salaries, raises and benefits are still there if you're a CEO, competent or not.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:09 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,380,777 times
Washington State property taxes are killing me... so no, wages have not kept pace with the increase in taxes... especially property taxes.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:11 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,470,737 times
They have the ability to define the metrics and the benchmarks by which their compensation is calculated. I read that corporate profits would be 40 percent lower if they reported to the investing public the same information they filed with the IRS.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:54 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,510,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
Good salaries, raises and benefits are still there if you're a CEO, competent or not.

True but only one person in every 10 million population are a CEO

Old 01-07-2008, 01:52 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,912,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
'purchasing power'? I do not necessarily buy into the math that is used to form that argument. I get raises, I budget my money and I invest. My investments grow at a far higher rate than does inflation. So despite our inflation my Net Worth has grown. I am retired now, and still my investment portfolio is growing. I have no serious issue with our inflation.
Good for you! The FED ought to love ya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics