Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2014, 11:18 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Housing also has to be located close enough to work that private automobile ownership can reasonably be considered a non-necessity.

If you split a house or 3 bedroom apartment 3 or 4 ways, even so-called high-cost areas can be affordable on slightly more than current minimum wage (~$9 or $10/hr.). The key is to not own a car.
Agreed. We need a greater number of smaller (hence more affordable) apartments, located on transit/bus/bike lines so that people earning low incomes can have their own places without needing cars....not that I think we should guarantee this...but we should make it possible to live on a low income with dignity. This is essentially what countries like the Netherlands & Denmark have done where people ride bikes everywhere, even in winter.

Help people live more efficiently with transportation and housing and you don't need to force employers to pay more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 12:10 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Jobs aren't the only way people can earn a good living. Look for a need and fill it.

I see a huge need for affordable housing. How might I fill that?

Old 12-05-2014, 01:03 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Build tiny apartments. That's what people are doing in NYC.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:32 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Build tiny apartments. That's what people are doing in NYC.

Doesn't that require a big pile o'cash?

Old 12-05-2014, 07:43 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,167,028 times
Quote:
Doesn't that require a big pile o'cash?
You could go with a visit to a bank, a venture capital group, etc. If the idea is good enough you can find funding.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:47 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
You could go with a visit to a bank, a venture capital group, etc. If the idea is good enough you can find funding.
This would require a large investment of time and/or money in order to draft a business plan, no?

Old 12-05-2014, 07:51 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,167,028 times
Quote:
This would require a large investment of time and/or money in order to draft a business plan, no?
Definitely time. The venture capital group will typically front money if the business plan is good enough for a stake in the company. It can be similar to the show Shark Tank. Money would obviously help, but if the idea is good enough isn't completely necessary.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:08 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,198,499 times
Most of the jobs created post 2008 have been low wage retail/service jobs. Shouldn't be surprised that many adults with families are working at these places

Old 12-05-2014, 10:49 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Quote:
That right there is the problem, always asking someone else for something. This is what is wrong with much in today's society, the lack of initiative, motivation and the basic critical thinking skills to figure things out.

Put 10 people in a room and state a problem. Maybe 1 or 2 will offer a solution, everyone else starts asking someone else how to do something.

My goodness, go rehab some homes, make them mutli-tenant dwelling compatible and rent them out at affordable prices.

Now wait, the next questions will be:

1. How do I get the money to buy the homes?
2. Not everyone can afford to do this so how does that work?
3. How do I find these homes to rehab?

and it goes on and on.

Out of the 10 people, the 1 or 2 will have no trouble in life when it comes to affording a good lifestyle. Everyone else will be arguing and demanding a minimum wage or whatever you want to call it.

Too many people wanting too much for next to nothing or an artificial wage to pay them more than they are worth is the problem.

People who complain about the wealthy or well to do ...what is stopping you from being that except for the person in the mirror. Stop blaming everyone else for what you don't have or can't afford and just go do it.

When it comes to that niche in the post. Gee, go out and look around, there are always houses available for sale that can be rehabed into multi-tenent compatible dwellings, always. Talk to the owner and if you don't have the up front money, think past your iPhone and actually speak to someone in person. Look past a Google search and write down a plan and present it to anyone that will listen.

Do something instead of always asking someone else.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:53 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Quote:
In other words, yes, to get something it takes effort, time and sometimes money. All those barriers can be breached by the person who wants more and is willing to do more to get it.

The alternative is some practical wage so that all you have now is all you'll ever have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics