Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2014, 11:11 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,873,258 times

Advertisements

As with many people here they live in a ONE person Apt with one or two bedrooms while the same facilities could have two people or two married couples or a 4 person living area and the COSTS wold be a lot lower.

I raised 7 kids in a three bedroom home (1050 sq ft) during a 20 yr time period and it can be done.

There are many in other countries that a entire family will live in the same home for decades on wages that might be considered "minimum"......they had NO problems as I saw this first hand when living in Mexico City.

Problem I see today is the restriction that some cities apply on 3-4 bedroom homes.....how many can reside therein or the available parking allowed....after all for every ADULT person there will be a car.

As to this latter I went thru a city hassle as my teens became of driving age there was the extra car in the driveway and on the front lawn or at the curb. My answer to them was that they allowed the 3-4 bedroom homes construction so they had NO complaints...end of story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 11:24 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,937,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smisk View Post
That list is pretty ridiculous... I don't think anyone pays $500 a month for transportation. I have what I consider to be a fairly long commute and spend less than $150 a month on gasoline.
My gas bill around $400. Total transportation costs way about $500. Consider insurance and don't forget maintenance.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:33 PM

6,652 posts, read 5,872,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
My gas bill around $400. Total transportation costs way about $500. Consider insurance and don't forget maintenance.
Your gasoline bill is $400/month? Let's say gasoline costs $3/gallon. That means you're burning 133 gallons a month, or 4 gallons a day, 30 days a month. The average commuter doesn't burn that much gasoline; yours is an extreme case.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:47 PM

847 posts, read 1,346,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Good point, in fact if you take the bus it's far less, and many employers subsidize a bus pass.

I have to agree that paying more than someone's work is worth is welfare, shifted from the government to the employers. There has always been and always will be a welfare class, and even a $25 minimum wage will not prevent that. The most obvious reason being that the cost of everything goes up, and those making minimum wage are right back where they started. If the cashier at Wal-Mart can only afford to shop at Wal-Mart, where will they shop when the Wal-mart prices go up to the level of Nordstrom or Macy's?

I think it's funny that everyone keeps saying to use public transportation or walk. This is no possible in many parts of the country and there isn't public transportation and in many rural areas like the one I am from, everything is so spread out one cannot simply walk to work.

The house grew up in was 12 miles from just about anything. Using this example, should one work an 8 to 10 hour day and spend another 5 to 7 hours commuting via foot back and forth to work? Before anyone says it, it's not always possible to simply mover closer.

The winters are quite cold and snowy there also so even if it was say a reasonable four mile walk one way, how would you like to walk an hour and half in 22 degree weather, work say a 2pm to 10pm shift, and then walk another hour and a half home at night in 13 degree weather?

So, with that said, I think the $500 estimate is reasonable considering insurance, registration, inspections, gas, maintenance, and payment. Even a fairly cheap reliable vehicle these days will warrant a payment of about $200.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:49 PM

847 posts, read 1,346,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Your gasoline bill is $400/month? Let's say gasoline costs $3/gallon. That means you're burning 133 gallons a month, or 4 gallons a day, 30 days a month. The average commuter doesn't burn that much gasoline; yours is an extreme case.

I suppose mine is as well because I easily spend $70+ a week with a 52 mile round trip commute. Sure, I could buy something that gets better gas mileage, but then I have a payment so..............

Old 12-05-2014, 01:36 PM

595 posts, read 558,283 times
Higher minimum wage will only decrease the number of minimum wage jobs and promote job automation because of the higher cost of minimum wage jobs and decreasing cost of automation.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:55 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,085,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Possibility that? I'd say we're well past that question.
The only open question I see is settling the number: is it 20 or 50 or 100 Million?

I think I actually estimated 52 Million when all is said and done.

Quote:
You really see only one avenue?
You go where the jobs are.

Just because a skill is no longer valued in the US, it doesn't logically follow that it isn't valued in the rest of the World, either.

These people who whine all the time, can go to India. They speak English there. It's one of the 10 Official Languages. Even the schools teach English.

They can get a good paying job, say $1.32/hour and have a good life.

It would only take 2 weeks of work to pay the tuition for the 2nd best private school in all of India (and they have English language instruction).

But, of course, the low-rent low-information turds don't give a damn about their child's welfare or education.

The low-rent turds would be more worried about what kind of beer they have and what drugs are available to get stoned.

Quote:
Not so much. The principle difference being the volume of no/low skilled labor then.
No, a lathe operator is a lathe operator, whether the lathe is manual or electric-powered.

In your furniture factory where you have 8 manual lathe operators making legs for tables and chairs, you can buy 2 new electric lathes and fire 6 of your workers.

Quote:
And regardless of what or where the continuing problem that really must be considered first are the measures needed to prevent them regenerating another wave of surplus humanity that our grandchildren will have to deal with.
That's not an issue.

Development creates Affluence which reduces Birth-Rate.

Will the developing- and emerging-States follow the same Birth Rate Curve the 1st World did?

No, because of Birth Control.

When Birth Control was introduced in the US, the US Birth Rate had already been naturally declining due to Affluence caused by development, namely advancing into the 2nd and 3rd Level Economies. Birth Control accelerated an already natural occurring phenomenon.

Because Birth Control is already available, the Birth Rates in the developing- and emerging-States will decline at an even faster rate than the 1st World did.

Global Population will most likely peak by the end of this Century, and then the population will continually decline until it reaches equilibrium.

De-populating...

Mircea

Old 12-05-2014, 02:56 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,085,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
But the one questions you asked about $36,000 not being a lot of money and that I have to prove it or something I can tell you that in the large population centers it certainly is a very meager salary and will not provide you with anything extravagant it's working class or working poor at best.
You are not entitled to luxuries or anything extravagant.

Anyone who thinks they need an iPhone or Calvin Klein jeans to be cool has serious mental and emotional problems.

Quote:
...and wrong since economics is by no means a science like the others.
You misunderstand.

The Laws of Economics are science, exactly like the Laws of Physics and use math just like physics.

Economic Theories are social science. An example would be the Free Cash Flow Theory.

Then you have the melding of Law with Theory -- a good example is Price Elasticity.

If you increase the price of your product or service, one of several possibilities is that your revenues and profits may simultaneous decline. That is objective reality prove using math. When will that happen? Well, that's speculation, since it's predicated on human behavior and thus subjective.

See the difference?

I deal mostly with Economic Law, precisely because it is objective.

Quote:
The only thing I'd like to say in response to all your replies everywhere is that populations of disenfranchised people don't show up to the arena or tune in to the T.V. to hear Ph.D's explain to them why they deserve to live in poverty and work for slave wages.
They aren't in poverty and the wages are not slave wages.

If you don't have an iPhone, you are not impoverished. You are not "in poverty" just because you don't have a TV in every single room in your home, or you don't get to eat fast food or go to Starsux 37 times a week.

You're not "in poverty" if you don't have bling-bling or Coogi, or Polo or Calvin Klein or whatever.

Your views are extremely subjective based solely on hedonistic materialism.

If you don't have internet you're not human.

No, sorry, that is not how humanity is defined.

Quote:
They burn stuff and kill people.
See this....

....that's not even the size of a football field.

A four second burst from a mini-gun on a government drone would kill every one of them.

And the sad thing is they wouldn't even know why....it's physics.

The bullet from the mini-gun travels faster than the speed of sound, so that when the round goes through their head and kills them, they won't even hear the sound of gun-fire.

Quote:
I'm sure the victim's of the Russian and French Revolutions would have loved to have someone like you stand in front of the angry mobs and explained to them how this is how it works and that they're not entitled to anything so go back to your farms and make do.
The Russian and French Revolutions are not comparable.

But.....if the French or Russian governments had drones with mini-guns......

Quote:
Disenfranchised people are not interested in reading economic textbooks.
It doesn't matter, because 45% of $0 is $0.

That's 5th Grade Math, not Economics....

Mircea

Old 12-05-2014, 03:10 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,908,477 times
If one wants a reasonable lifestyle, they should contribute a reasonable amount of contributions, be it any kind of effort to get it.

Thinking you can work at a fast food eatery and support a family on the wages offered is not reasonable.

Why is it that two people who grow up in the same town or city, attend the same schools end up one being well off while the other sits in a gutter waiting for a handout?

Choices.

If you make choices that lead to a poor lifestyle either change the choices being made or deal with the consequences of the choices you continue to make.

Old 12-05-2014, 03:47 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,937,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
If one wants a reasonable lifestyle, they should contribute a reasonable amount of contributions, be it any kind of effort to get it.

Thinking you can work at a fast food eatery and support a family on the wages offered is not reasonable.

Why is it that two people who grow up in the same town or city, attend the same schools end up one being well off while the other sits in a gutter waiting for a handout?

Choices.

If you make choices that lead to a poor lifestyle either change the choices being made or deal with the consequences of the choices you continue to make.
I've lived both sides. I've had thousands of dollars in my pocket and plenty of money in the bank, and I've been dirt poor and destitute.

I can say with 100% honesty that circumstance is a much bigger factor than choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics