Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 11:30 AM

21,873 posts, read 25,139,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Feltser View Post
Analyzing a Practical Minimum Wage |Minimum Wage Workers' Union of America

Paying workers less than they need to live on creates a permanent welfare class.
"The minimum wage was designed to create a minimum standard of living to protect the health and well-being of employees." -Cornell University Law School, Legal Information Institute
RENT ------------------------------$1000 $400-500, rent room w/ utilities
BASIC UTILITIES --------------$200 $0, included in rent
ADVANCED UTILITIES ------$150 $0, you don't need an iPhone
FOOD ------------------------------$300 $200
NON-FOOD GROCERY -----$50
CLOTHING -----------------------$75
TRANSPORTATION ----------$500 $100 bus pass
HEALTHCARE -----------------$350 $0, Obamacare Medicaid expansion
MISCELLANEOUS -----------$400 Jesus, really? Twice as much on misc. as food is a necessity??, $100
------------------------------------------------------
Average Basic Monthly Expenses $3,025 Necessary Basic Monthly Expenses $1,025

There I fixed that for you. That's $1,025 a month. Toss in another 15% for taxes and round it up to $1,200/mo. Divide it by 2080. Comes to right around $7. It's really not all that bad because someone making that money qualifies for a lot of welfare benefits like Medicaid, Section 8, and so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 12:51 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Paying workers less than they need to live on creates a permanent welfare class.

"The minimum wage was designed to create a minimum standard of living to protect the health and well-being of employees." -Cornell University Law School, Legal Information Institute
Propaganda.

Quote:
All figures are based on national averages, for a Federal standard
Economics, Political Science and Reality fail.

The, um, "poverty level" is a weighted average.

"....weighted average poverty thresholds from U.S. Census Bureau, Current Population Reports, Series P60-245"

You live in a federal republic, and not a nation. There is no national anything in the US. The fact that you can't get something as simple as that correct raises credibility issues.

There are some single Americans whose annual income is $9101 or $4.55/hour or $7.25/hour working 26 hours each week. Those single Americans are denied HUD Section 8.

Explain why (Hint: I already gave you the answer and a link).

There are some single Americans whose annual income is $53,490 or $26.75/hour. Those single Americans are have their rent subsidized by tax-payers under HUD Section 8.

Explain why (Hint: I already gave you the answer and a link).

Some single Americans earn $19,000 annually, and they do not get their rent subsidized by tax-payers under HUD Section 8, yet they are forced to pay for the rent of someone earning $53,490.

Explain why.

[quote=Simon Feltser;37500714]RENT ------------------------------$1000[/quote

$250/month for rent.

In Cincinnati you can rent a 1-bedroom apartment with heat, water and electric included for $350/month. If you cannot afford that, then get a room-mate.

Quote:
BASIC UTILITIES --------------$200
$50/month.

Get a room-mate.

You are not entitled to thermostat settings of 64°F in Summer and 78°F in Winter.

Turn the thermostat down to 65°F and wear a sweater. That's what they're for.

Quote:
ADVANCED UTILITIES ------$150
Advanced utilities?

That's NAZI-style propaganda for cell-phone and internet.

Get a land-line for $16/month and use internet at the library for free.

Quote:
FOOD ------------------------------$300
HEALTHCARE -----------------$350
I'll allow it.

Quote:
$15/month

Quote:
TRANSPORTATION ----------$500
$75/month

Use mass transit.....you know, practice what you preach about Global Warming and all.

Quote:
MISCELLANEOUS -----------$400
$25/month

Quote:
Average Basic Monthly Expenses $3,025
Dream on.

$1,131/month

$6.53/hour is sufficient wages.

Debunking...

Mircea

Old 12-03-2014, 12:57 PM

1,204 posts, read 872,730 times
Agree with everyone here who says--get a roommate. Sharing a house/apartment were some of the best times we had as young adults

Old 12-03-2014, 01:08 PM

560 posts, read 751,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post

- Mack Knife,
Individual
Contributor to the economy
Past employer
Tax Payer
Benefactor to the helpless
Critic of the lazy

Honestly.... awesome. I genuinely laughed out loud.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:15 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smisk View Post
That list is pretty ridiculous... I don't think anyone pays $500 a month for transportation. I have what I consider to be a fairly long commute and spend less than $150 a month on gasoline.
Good point, in fact if you take the bus it's far less, and many employers subsidize a bus pass.

I have to agree that paying more than someone's work is worth is welfare, shifted from the government to the employers. There has always been and always will be a welfare class, and even a $25 minimum wage will not prevent that. The most obvious reason being that the cost of everything goes up, and those making minimum wage are right back where they started. If the cashier at Wal-Mart can only afford to shop at Wal-Mart, where will they shop when the Wal-mart prices go up to the level of Nordstrom or Macy's?

Old 12-03-2014, 02:30 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,316,146 times
Quote:
Analyzing a Practical Minimum Wage |Minimum Wage Workers' Union of America

Can't argue with that. They got the modest apartment correct for my area. Right around $1,000.00 give or take. That's a very good list. I've always said on here for a single male to have a completely self-sufficient lifestyle but not anything close to extravagant you need to make about $35,000.00 a year. And that's about what they came up with. They did excellent research.

And they're also correct that's just to live a very modest lifestyle. I mean forget new or expensive cars, real expensive clothes or furnishings, eating out a lot or a thriving nightlife or expensive vacations.

No, they're absolutely correct. That's all to skate by. And I mean skate. With car repairs, especially with older, used cars and other emergency expenses.

They impressed me very much with their research because they got it right. And that's not real common.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:32 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,314 times
Whose opinion is that? Cornell's? Yours? I don't get your point.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
RENT ------------------------------$1000 $400-500, rent room w/ utilities
BASIC UTILITIES --------------$200 $0, included in rent
ADVANCED UTILITIES ------$150 $0, you don't need an iPhone
FOOD ------------------------------$300 $200
TRANSPORTATION ----------$500 $100 bus pass
HEALTHCARE -----------------$350 $0, Obamacare Medicaid expansion
MISCELLANEOUS -----------$400 Jesus, really? Twice as much on misc. as food is a necessity??, $100
------------------------------------------------------
Average Basic Monthly Expenses $3,025 Necessary Basic Monthly Expenses $1,025

There I fixed that for you. That's $1,025 a month. Toss in another 15% for taxes and round it up to $1,200/mo. Divide it by 2080. Comes to right around $7. It's really not all that bad because someone making that money qualifies for a lot of welfare benefits like Medicaid, Section 8, and so on.
For you guys talking about government benefits, using library computers, public transportation and roommates....

Take time to read the article and understand the premise.

The article is telling you what it takes for a single individual to be SELF SUFFICIENT. INDEPENDENT.

Not dependent on a roommate coming up with their half of the rent or water bill or making noise late at night or arguing what to watch on T.V.

Not dependent on the hours of public transportation and stuck if you need to get somewhere but the last bus for the day left the proverbial station. Or if you need to go see a parent or meet a friend but the public transit does not go there or you need to get to the hospital and have to find a ride.

Not dependent on the hours of the library and how many computers they have to use when you're waiting for an important e-mail or need to apply to a job during off hours or no computers available to use because they're already occupied.

Not dependent on the government to pay for your food, medical care or part of your housing with taxpayer dollars.

Etc...

The article is explaining to you what it takes for a healthy, grown adult to be SELF SUFFICIENT and live an INDEPENDENT lifestyle with no help or need to be taken care of or depend on others.

That doesn't include depending on the government to take care of your living expenses and sharing a bathroom with a stranger and counting on them for necessary expenses. Not to mention cleanliness, noisiness and having people over at hours you don't care for or who you'd rather not be around.

Remember: INDEPENDENT/SELF SUFFICIENT. The POINT of the article.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:53 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
For you guys talking about government benefits, using library computers, public transportation and roommates....

Take time to read the article and understand the premise.

The article is telling you what it takes for a single individual to be SELF SUFFICIENT. INDEPENDENT.

Not dependent on a roommate coming up with their half of the rent or water bill or making noise late at night or arguing what to watch on T.V.

Not dependent on the hours of public transportation and stuck if you need to get somewhere but the last bus for the day left the proverbial station. Or if you need to go see a parent or meet a friend but the public transit does not go there or you need to get to the hospital and have to find a ride.

Not dependent on the hours of the library and how many computers they have to use when you're waiting for an important e-mail or need to apply to a job during off hours or no computers available to use because they're already occupied.

Not dependent on the government to pay for your food, medical care or part of your housing with taxpayer dollars.

Etc...

The article is explaining to you what it takes for a healthy, grown adult to be SELF SUFFICIENT and live an INDEPENDENT lifestyle with no help or need to be taken care of or depend on others.

That doesn't include depending on the government to take care of your living expenses and sharing a bathroom with a stranger and counting on them for necessary expenses. Not to mention cleanliness, noisiness and having people over at hours you don't care for or who you'd rather not be around.

Remember: INDEPENDENT/SELF SUFFICIENT. The POINT of the article.
I don't agree that that should be our goal. I don't think there is anything wrong with people depending on each other for resources.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
I don't agree that that should be our goal. I don't think there is anything wrong with people depending on each other for resources.
That's fine. I'm just telling you what the point of the article was. And that was what it takes for a person to not depend on others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics