Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 12:31 PM

21,706 posts, read 24,943,157 times

Advertisements

12% for rent excluding utilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 12:42 PM

37,767 posts, read 40,897,492 times
My rent is 20% of my net monthly income (a retiree pension) and it includes water/sewer. I have a washer/dryer in the apartment and a dishwasher in addition to standard appliances. Everything is electric. I have a 2b/2b modern apartment in a nice suburbanish neighborhood. My electric runs between $40 - $80 per month and is most typically in the $60 range. I pay off my credit card in full monthly and have no loans. There's no state income tax. Food is expensive only because there is a tax on it and I'm retired (meaning because I'm home more, I buy more groceries than when I was working). On the other hand, I eat out less frequently. Gas for the car is cheap here and I'm not commuting to work so that's a big savings, too. The biggest expense is cable (TV, internet and land line) and I could save money there if I wanted to. No dry cleaning since retired, either. I live in machine washable play clothes which also makes my clothing expense cheaper. Cell phone (a not smart phone) is another expense. No toll roads or toll bridges, here.

If you want to know the truth, I have more discretionary money as a retireee than I had when I was working, not because of income (which is much less) but because, as I have discovered, it was expensive to go to work. I moved away when I retired. I've been retired 7.5 years and my rent for a twice as big apartment here is still less than my last rent payment in Maryland.

Last edited by LauraC; 12-14-2014 at 01:01 PM..

Old 12-14-2014, 03:34 PM

15,936 posts, read 12,234,457 times
I paid $550 a month for apartment and garage with all utilities included until just a week ago (actually I must pay through the end of December)

Now I rent a house for $600 and have to pay utilities which will probably average $125-175 over a year depending on how long I stay (highest in the winter)

I take home probably $1250 every 2 weeks if I work no overtime, not counting the 10% after taxes that go to purchasing stock (at 15% discount to share price) and 6% that go into retirement and get matched.

So I don't know... 25% of gross income does towards housing right now? If I owned any home that isn't a dump I'd be paying more like $1100 per month... renting is substantially cheaper as long as I don't need the extra square footage of a larger house.

Old 12-14-2014, 04:31 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,707,449 times
23% after tax/deductions.

Old 12-14-2014, 04:57 PM

580 posts, read 775,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
There is a reason for the cheap rent. While things may be cheap, so is the pay, upward mobility, and there is nothing to do around there, hence why people are not flooding in there and driving up housing costs.

I rather give out 70% of my income to rent, than live in some boring place.

Yes, it's why the Wall Street Journal's Real Estate section Friday did a frontpage article on Cleveland

Cleveland Sheds its 'Mistake by the Lake' Reputation - WSJ

NYC? No. But it has a surprisingly good food scene (from someone who has been to Daniel and Jean Georges in NY). Lola, Crop, and the dearly-departed Three Birds were fantastic places in our year in Cleveland.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:28 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,348,018 times
I pay about 23% of gross income/month for rent. It's about 38% of net income/month as I have a lot of deductions for investments, taxes, etc.
Just for fun I was checking out rental rates for San Francisco, especially the good areas like Pacific Heights. The cheapest I found was a studio apartment $2800/month. Most rental homes were in the $4,000-$6000 range/month. These were houses with around 800-1000 sq. ft.
Sooooooooo, if you wanted to rent that studio and stay in the recommended level of 25% of gross income, you'd have to be making over $10,000/ month......to live in a studio apartment. Amazing.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:37 PM

30,876 posts, read 36,850,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I paid $550 a month for apartment and garage with all utilities included until just a week ago (actually I must pay through the end of December)

Now I rent a house for $600 and have to pay utilities which will probably average $125-175 over a year depending on how long I stay (highest in the winter)

I take home probably $1250 every 2 weeks if I work no overtime, not counting the 10% after taxes that go to purchasing stock (at 15% discount to share price) and 6% that go into retirement and get matched.

So I don't know... 25% of gross income does towards housing right now? If I owned any home that isn't a dump I'd be paying more like $1100 per month... renting is substantially cheaper as long as I don't need the extra square footage of a larger house.
Wow. I am just amazed that it's possible to rent a whole house for $600 a month. You can't even get a studio apt. for $1000 where I live.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:06 PM

1,522 posts, read 2,994,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Wow. I am just amazed that it's possible to rent a whole house for $600 a month. You can't even get a studio apt. for $1000 where I live.
Not to knock the person who posted that, but you also might ask what type of house or what neighborhood you get for $600. Even in a relatively low cost area like Northeast Ohio, you can get a house for $600 but you are likely not getting much of a house or neighborhood for that price. Either that or you're living in a rural area.

On another note, what is the logic in basing housing affordability on your gross income? What sense does that make? A person could have a rent that is only 10% of their gross yet have the rest of their net eaten up by other debt payments. Basing affordability on income without other expenses factored into the equation is a recipe for failure. It's why mortgage companies will say a person can afford x amount, but they can't _really_ afford it.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:11 PM

18,520 posts, read 15,506,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
Not to knock the person who posted that, but you also might ask what type of house or what neighborhood you get for $600. Even in a relatively low cost area like Northeast Ohio, you can get a house for $600 but you are likely not getting much of a house or neighborhood for that price. Either that or you're living in a rural area.

On another note, what is the logic in basing housing affordability on your gross income? What sense does that make? A person could have a rent that is only 10% of their gross yet have the rest of their net eaten up by other debt payments. Basing affordability on income without other expenses factored into the equation is a recipe for failure. It's why mortgage companies will say a person can afford x amount, but they can't _really_ afford it.
Yeah, obviously deeply indebted individuals/households will need to spend less on rent. Landlords may not account for that, but of course if they check tenants' credit reports they can reject a tenant that could not afford both their debt and the rent...

Old 12-14-2014, 09:26 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,457,547 times
I pay about 3 to 5% of my annual gross salary. However, I am sort of in the middle of nowhere, so rent is cheap, unlike more desirable places such as a major metropolitan (e.g. DC, NYC, Boston, Chicago, LA), or even their surrounding areas (it's noticeably cheaper to live even half an hour to 1.5 hours away from those major hubs, but can still be high).

I've heard accounts from those who move to Bentonville, AR to work for Walmart HQ... their take home pay is typically 9x to 16x their mortgage!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics