Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 02:46 PM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by utsci View Post
I'm not sure how you live on a grad school stipend with a child, but single daughter lives on her stipend of $1100/month net (PhD candidates get $1500 starting their 3rd year) in an area where rents are high (compared to the national average) and manages to cover everything exept her car repairs and unexpected expenses. She shares a 2 bedroom apartment and they even manage to budget in for cable tv. Her part of the rent is $525. So it can be done. There's been a lot of dumpster diving and thrift store purchases for furniture since there is a large transient population where she lives, besides the college students. We finally bought them a washer and dryer because the girls were cutting back on groceries to afford their laundry. But even still, with delivery, the used pair was only $300 and they will sell them back for 1/2 when they leave. They also both carry renters insurance and each have a small dog to feed and medicate for heartworm monthly. They both have cars that are paid for but commute on the bus because it is free with their ID. Medical insurance is deducted from their pay/stipend.

Budget
rent 525
power 50-60 (AC almost all year required)
water 25
food 150
car/renters insurance 50
dog 30
cable/internet 40
prepaid phone 25
gas 40

GRAND TOTAL 945...yes, she puts money in savings almost every month
I can't even afford a car...geesh.

My insurance would cost $200, my repairs and depreciation another $200 before even getting to gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 03:34 PM

420 posts, read 704,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utsci View Post
I'm not sure how you live on a grad school stipend with a child, but single daughter lives on her stipend of $1100/month net (PhD candidates get $1500 starting their 3rd year) in an area where rents are high (compared to the national average) and manages to cover everything exept her car repairs and unexpected expenses. She shares a 2 bedroom apartment and they even manage to budget in for cable tv. Her part of the rent is $525. So it can be done. There's been a lot of dumpster diving and thrift store purchases for furniture since there is a large transient population where she lives, besides the college students. We finally bought them a washer and dryer because the girls were cutting back on groceries to afford their laundry. But even still, with delivery, the used pair was only $300 and they will sell them back for 1/2 when they leave. They also both carry renters insurance and each have a small dog to feed and medicate for heartworm monthly. They both have cars that are paid for but commute on the bus because it is free with their ID. Medical insurance is deducted from their pay/stipend.

Budget
rent 525
power 50-60 (AC almost all year required)
water 25
food 150
car/renters insurance 50
dog 30
cable/internet 40
prepaid phone 25
gas 40

GRAND TOTAL 945...yes, she puts money in savings almost every month
$1100 for a third year PhD student? Oh, wow. I know the amount varies between funding and school, but that is pretty tight.
My husband's contract says pre-candidacy at his school the amount (gross) was $2045, and by the third year it is $2124. Husband made net $1500 as a stipend while he was teaching, and this is the amount AFTER money was taken out (pretaxed) for his OPERs. So his peers who are in the same year were making a bit more than $1500, because the majority of them opted to NOT put money into retirement. But in his field he is expected to get funding somewhere else by third year, when they pass their Quals. The dept.does not want to financially carry them forever, and the student shouldn't want it, either, as teaching absorbs a lot of time that could and should be going to research. His professor got him his current job which is in conjunction with the research he is doing to graduate, and the pay is a decent amount higher. Granted, it's not much higher than $1500, lol, but it's not the pauper level it felt like when he was teaching.

Now PhD students who have fellowships... They can make bank.

Btw, I commend your daughter. Putting money away into savings on $1100/month is not something most people would even consider doing.

Last edited by Pansori; 12-14-2014 at 04:01 PM..

Old 12-14-2014, 05:06 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
$6700/mo sounds high for fl.

Your car pmt, groceries, gas, and possibly rent look high. Seriously, $1k on groceries? how many people are you feeding?

Old 12-14-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Judging by the amount you are paying to credit cards it looks like you are making minimum payments. If you don't mind me asking, how much credit card debt do you have?

We are striving for a frugal lifestyle. We make $4200 and our monthly expenses are 2k max, and that is EVERYTHING from eating out to groceries, gas, utilities, insurance, etc. We have a baby on the way and our goal is to try to not increase our cost of living by more than $200. We have been reading a lot on the frugal forums, and know it is possible

Maybe your problem goes beyond monthly expenses, and more on managing debt and daily living.

About 1700.

one of our car pymnts will be done in a few months. so that'll help by about 375/mo.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I don't see retirement savings or any savings but yet you are prepaying college costs?

we have 401ks that we contribute to.

i think food and eating out is whats hurting us.

most other things we cant do too much about, altho our one car will be paid off soon. credit card payments are $200 but we have like 1700 in debt.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:19 PM

thx everyone for all the insight and comments thus far...

Old 12-14-2014, 05:48 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Car payments belong in the debt category.

It's easy to assume a lot here and one has to be careful, but I suspect the issue is either a large vehicle or a long commute. Fortunately they are renting so it is less impractical to move to cut expenses down than it would be if they had bought a house. However, it's still easier to cut the food budget, $1,000 does seem high to me.
That $1000/month for food does sound high, but don't forget this is a working couple with kids. They are probably buying a lot of convenience items, fast food, eat out, etc. its easy to say Quit That! but hard to do. They may be so short on time that's the best they can do. I know its cheaper and healthier to buy everything on sale, in bulk, pre-plan measl, freeze ahead, etc, etc but get real---they simply don't have the time for all that!

Old 12-14-2014, 06:07 PM

we make about 130k combined, i just dont understand how we have so much going out with 10k (gross) coming in each month. well after taxes its probably like 6500 so thats why.

we are in our early 30s in Central FL.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:14 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
we make about 130k combined, i just dont understand how we have so much going out with 10k (gross) coming in each month. well after taxes its probably like 6500 so thats why.

we are in our early 30s in Central FL.

Your fed taxes should be 18,830 at most without taking kids into account med/ss 9945.00. That's 8400 after taxes a month

Old 12-14-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Your fed taxes should be 18,830 at most without taking kids into account med/ss 9945.00. That's 8400 after taxes a month

yea, we definitely dont bring home that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics