Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 07:02 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,375,751 times

Advertisements

Wasn't sure this was the best forum for this, but with advancements in technology, will people be able to work less and just have robots do most of the work, freeing large segments of the society to simply not have to work, much like having slaves do the work of producing and building houses etc?
Will we need an ever smaller number of people to actually make things or provide services freeing more people to just live in leisure?
There is a lot of concern about a record high number of working age people not working, but I wonder if technology is going make this concern moot. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 07:18 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
There will certainly be periods of increased unemployment after any technological revolution; however, often they end up finding new jobs and the unemployment rate returns to a sensible level. It's far from clear whether future technological revolutions will follow the pattern (or not).

Old 12-16-2014, 08:32 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,177,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Wasn't sure this was the best forum for this, but with advancements in technology, will people be able to work less and just have robots do most of the work, freeing large segments of the society to simply not have to work, much like having slaves do the work of producing and building houses etc?
Will we need an ever smaller number of people to actually make things or provide services freeing more people to just live in leisure?
There is a lot of concern about a record high number of working age people not working, but I wonder if technology is going make this concern moot. What do you think?
I've been thinking about that a lot recently. I think it's realistic that in 10 years we will have household robots that can do pretty much all chores from cleaning to setting tables. Likewise robots/drones could drive and deliver mail and do transportation for us. That would displace a lot of workers.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:41 AM

21,875 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
I've been thinking about that a lot recently. I think it's realistic that in 10 years we will have household robots that can do pretty much all chores from cleaning to setting tables. Likewise robots/drones could drive and deliver mail and do transportation for us. That would displace a lot of workers.
But nowhere near as many as were displaced in agriculture.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:09 AM

595 posts, read 560,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
There will certainly be periods of increased unemployment after any technological revolution; however, often they end up finding new jobs and the unemployment rate returns to a sensible level. It's far from clear whether future technological revolutions will follow the pattern (or not).
Yep there's uncertainty right now. Robert Shiller said he's nervous about job automation

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4l-3uRgP5nQ
Around 5 minutes

Old 12-17-2014, 07:34 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,375,751 times
I guess what I was thinking is that the future economy may be so efficient with robots that it won't matter that people are displaced. Robots will build houses for people, making them much more affordable and will build all the products in them, essentially making many Americans like Roman elites, doing little and letting the slaves do all the work.
Robots already work in car factories, but they may become the assembly line itself, making cars much cheaper as well.
Kind of a thought experiment I know, but I wonder if the advanced technology may end up saving us from an unemployment problem because people simply won't need to work.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:42 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,004 times
Are cars slaves?

Old 12-17-2014, 07:46 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,004 times
Quote:
I guess what I was thinking is that the future economy may be so efficient with robots that it won't matter that people are displaced. Robots will build houses for people, making them much more affordable and will build all the products in them, essentially making many Americans like Roman elites, doing little and letting the slaves do all the work.
Robots already work in car factories, but they may become the assembly line itself, making cars much cheaper as well.
Kind of a thought experiment I know, but I wonder if the advanced technology may end up saving us from an unemployment problem because people simply won't need to work.
I believe that we may well be past the point where we can offer a pretty good standard of living for everyone worldwide without the "traditional" economic model - where everyone works to produce the goods and service we all expect and need.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:45 AM

595 posts, read 560,504 times
Quote:
I wonder how wealth distribution would change.
http://www2.ucsc.edu/whorulesamerica..._over_time.gif

Old 12-17-2014, 10:23 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,670,759 times
I'm sure there would be some psychological impact to people who only lead a life of leisure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics