Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2014, 12:49 PM

18,545 posts, read 15,542,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You can't do online purchases without one.
Sure you can. Their transaction system cannot distinguish between debit cards and credit cards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 12:54 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,868,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodWayOfDoingThat View Post
There isn't a good reason for getting a credit card. People need to learn how to save, but the way America's social and economic system is set up, many feel pressure to get into debt in order to keep up with the Jones's.
You are correct. There isn't A good reason for getting a credit card. There are MANY. They are listed in this thread.

Having a credit card does not mean going into debt. Most people pay their card off monthly: According to American Household Credit Card Debt Statistics through 2012 "of the estimated 46.7% of households that carry a balance, the average debt is a whopping $15,325 as of July 2012."

It appears the majority of Americans can use their credit cards responsibly without going into debt.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
You are correct. There isn't A good reason for getting a credit card. There are MANY. They are listed in this thread.

Having a credit card does not mean going into debt. Most people pay their card off monthly: According to American Household Credit Card Debt Statistics through 2012 "of the estimated 46.7% of households that carry a balance, the average debt is a whopping $15,325 as of July 2012."

It appears the majority of Americans can use their credit cards responsibly without going into debt.
The 46.7% figure you quote is out of ALL households, not just those that have one or more credit cards.

The percentage of those with one or more credit cards that carry balance(s) is thus higher than the 46.7% figure.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:01 PM

194 posts, read 148,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post

You've just contradicted yourself on so many levels it's not even funny. You're technically correct in saying that simply possessing a credit card does not mean going into debt... If you ever wish to actually use it however, you're in debt. Even if it's to buy a stick of gum. You stated that having a credit card doesn't mean going into debt, then provided information that states half of America is 15k in the hole American society has become comfortable with this weird obsession with debt and credit and it's unfortunate. But hey, it's your problem not mine if you wish to be a slave for "the man".

Old 12-22-2014, 01:02 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,248,148 times
Quote:
How do you get that from a credit card? Most people pay for air travel with a cc, and we can't all have priority boarding.
Not all CC's offer the same benefits. The checked bag and priority boarding benefits are usually tied to specific cards.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:11 PM

10,348 posts, read 7,954,988 times
Quote:
How do you get that from a credit card? Most people pay for air travel with a cc, and we can't all have priority boarding.
Most people aren't using an airline-branded credit card when they make their purchases. It's the airline cards that get you a free cheeked bag and priority boarding. (The caveat is that these cards have an annual fee, and if if you don't travel at least 2 times per year on the same airline you're probably going to save money by skipping the airline card and just paying the checked bag fee.)

Old 12-22-2014, 01:14 PM

10,348 posts, read 7,954,988 times
Quote:
There isn't a good reason for getting a credit card.
Nonsense. Plenty of GOOD reasons have already been listed in this thread. And it's perfectly possible to have a credit card while living below your means and saving money. It just requires financial self-discipline.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
You've just contradicted yourself on so many levels it's not even funny. You're technically correct in saying that simply possessing a credit card does not mean going into debt... If you ever wish to actually use it however, you're in debt. Even if it's to buy a stick of gum. You stated that having a credit card doesn't mean going into debt, then provided information that states half of America is 15k in the hole American society has become comfortable with this weird obsession with debt and credit and it's unfortunate. But hey, it's your problem not mine if you wish to be a slave for "the man".
If you pay the bill before the retail transaction goes through you are NEVER in debt on that card unless you have a pre-existing balance.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:16 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,868,835 times
Quote:

You got me on a technicality. How impressive. Yes' I'm in debt if I use it. Since I pay nothing for that debt, as long as I pay off the card in full at the end of the month, I don't view it as debt. Which I always do. I have a totally debt free lifestyle. No need for the lecture.

Also, I provided info showing over half of Americans don't go into debt with a card. Almost half do make poor choices.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:17 PM

194 posts, read 148,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
If you pay the bill before the retail transaction goes through you are NEVER in debt on that card unless you have a pre-existing balance.
Look up the definition of debt. Anytime you owe someone (or a corporation) something, you're in debt...Anytime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics