Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2014, 01:17 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalam View Post
What are the pros and cons of having credit card? Can't you survive without one!
More pros to using plastic than paper. For one thing all my purchases are protected and if you use cash nobody cares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 01:19 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,874,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
The 46.7% figure you quote is out of ALL households, not just those that have one or more credit cards.

The percentage of those with one or more credit cards that carry balance(s) is thus higher than the 46.7% figure.
Huh? The percentage is of "households that carry a balance." By definition, they have to possess a card to carry a balance on it.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:19 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodWayOfDoingThat View Post
You've just contradicted yourself on so many levels it's not even funny. You're technically correct in saying that simply possessing a credit card does not mean going into debt... If you ever wish to actually use it however, you're in debt. Even if it's to buy a stick of gum.
Not unless you're using some very odd accounting practices. Tell me, how am I in debt if I use my card only to purchase items I already have the cash to pay for, and set up automatic payments so the card balance is paid off in full every month? Functionally it's no different than if I'd paid via a check or debit card - except for all the extra benefits and protections using the credit card gives me, of course.

People who get into debt from using credit cards are spending beyond their means. It's a spending problem, not a credit card problem.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:27 PM

21,835 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
If you pay the bill before the retail transaction goes through you are NEVER in debt on that card unless you have a pre-existing balance.
But rational people won't much care either way. If you're a Dave Ramsey acolyte, maybe. Most people won't get their panties in a knot if someone gives them interest-free credit for 30-45 days.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:32 PM

194 posts, read 148,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Not unless you're using some very odd accounting practices. Tell me, how am I in debt if I use my card only to purchase items I already have the cash to pay for, and set up automatic payments so the card balance is paid off in full every month? Functionally it's no different than if I'd paid via a check or debit card - except for all the extra benefits and protections using the credit card gives me, of course.

People who get into debt from using credit cards are spending beyond their means. It's a spending problem, not a credit card problem.
You pay interest on your purchases and it's functionally different because once you make that purchase you're indebted to your master, I mean credit card company. If you already have the dough and you're worried about protecting your purchase outside of retaining your receipt, then use a debit card. Hopefully everyone here knows the difference between a debit card and a credit card, you'd be shocked to know how many people think they're one and the same.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:33 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I tore up my credit cards 30 years ago and have worked off of cash and my debit card ever since. I've traveled, paid for hotels, rented cars, and done all the things you have described. I simply like to know I can afford something before I buy it.

Might not work for everyone, but I live comfortably, drive nice cars, spend money whenever I want, and have been able to put away money because of my being careful.

Don
Sure, it works, but you could have done the same due diligence and still used credit cards for those 30 years. Just because someone has credit cards doesn't make them irresponsible or oblivious.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:38 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
You pay interest on your purchases and it's functionally different because once you make that purchase you're indebted to your master, I mean credit card company. If you already have the dough and you're worried about protecting your purchase outside of retaining your receipt, then use a debit card. Hopefully everyone here knows the difference between a debit card and a credit card, you'd be shocked to know how many people think they're one and the same.
I think you meant credit card. A debit card will not provide the same level of protection. Then there are the rewards which give you an effective 1-5% discount.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:38 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,874,010 times
Quote:

No. Someone using a CC and paying it off at the end of the month pays NO interest. ZERO INTEREST accrues if you pay your bill every month.

In my case I make 1% back on all my purchases. I MAKE money by using the card for purchases I would otherwise be making anyhow.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:41 PM

194 posts, read 148,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I think you meant credit card. A debit card will not provide the same level of protection. Then there are the rewards which give you an effective 1-5% discount.
No, I meant debit card. Since he's concerned that purchasing items with cash won't give him any protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
No. Someone using a CC and paying it off at the end of the month pays NO interest. ZERO INTEREST accrues if you pay your bill every month.

In my case I make 1% back on all my purchases. I MAKE money by using the card for purchases I would otherwise be making anyhow.
Depends on the company. And most people don't pay their credit card balance back in full every month, they pay the minimum balance due.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:49 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
You pay interest on your purchases...
No, actually I don't. Interest is only charged on balances that are carried over to the next billing cycle. Since I pay my card balances off in full every month, I don't pay a dime in interest.

Quote:
...and it's functionally different because once you make that purchase you're indebted to your master, I mean credit card company.
More nonsense. You might as well say I'm indebted to my masters, the utility companies, because I pay my utility bills monthly, which means that before the bill is paid I owe the utility company money. Does the knowledge that you owe the utility company a monthly payment keep you up at night? If not, then why worry about a similar credit card payment?

Quote:
If you already have the dough and you're worried about protecting your purchase outside of retaining your receipt, then use a debit card.
As has been explained REPEATEDLY in this thread, debit cards DO NOT offer the same levels of consumer protection as credit cards do - not even close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics