Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 05:28 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
No. I simply hit credit WHEN USING MY DEBIT CARD.
Again, go argue with visa....
That takes months. Arguing with AmEx takes minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 05:29 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalam View Post
What are the pros and cons of having credit card? Can't you survive without one!
PROS

The sheer convenience - it is so much simpler just to swipe the plastic, then to spend 45 seconds making an online payment once/month, than dealing with cash and coins all the time.

Then there's emergencies - who carries hundreds of dollars with them at all times, for when the car breaks down far from home, or when you're on vacation, or when a blizzard hits and I can't make it home from work and need to stay in the hotel across the way?

For that matter, how do you check into many hotels at all without a credit card?

CONS

There are none - I don't confuse the inability of some people to use a credit card responsibly as an inherent flaw in the nature of possessing a credit card, but rather as behavioral flaws with some people. And I don't say that smugly - I've personally been there and done that.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:30 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Amex is great about disputes, I go through a few every year and have never had an issue

Old 12-21-2014, 05:35 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
I would have thought that the recent downturn in our economy, when so many people lost things, would have taught people to better manage the amounts of monies they owed other people. Evidently not. Our Parents and Grandparents became very aware of managing money after the Depression, and most of them learned to do without until they could pay cash for things.

My own Parents bought our home with cash and never had a loan or mortgage on anything. We did very well, had nice cars, boats, horses, vacations, etc. When my Dad died he had money in the bank so my Mom never had to work. You don't need someone's card in your wallet to enjoy those things, you can do it on your own if you try.

Don

Old 12-21-2014, 06:12 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I would have thought that the recent downturn in our economy, when so many people lost things, would have taught people to better manage the amounts of monies they owed other people. Evidently not. Our Parents and Grandparents became very aware of managing money after the Depression, and most of them learned to do without until they could pay cash for things.

My own Parents bought our home with cash and never had a loan or mortgage on anything. We did very well, had nice cars, boats, horses, vacations, etc. When my Dad died he had money in the bank so my Mom never had to work. You don't need someone's card in your wallet to enjoy those things, you can do it on your own if you try.

Don
Having and using credit does not mean people can't manage their money appropriately and necessarily go around piling up a bunch of debt they can't pay.

Sure, you can operate without credit, but you'd be dumb to do so. Paying your mortgage upfront is a terrible idea when interest rates are so low. Paying cash for a car is dumb when you can get a loan for (near) zero interest. Passing up hundreds, possibly thousands of dollars a year in cash back makes no financial sense.

You're passing up thousands and thousands of dollars in investment returns and credit card rewards every year when you fork over cash for everything instead of investing and taking out loans.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:46 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I call the bank and they refund the money.

Has happened to me SEVERAL times.

Again: I get amused when people try to make statements out of ignorance.
I have had problems with purchases via credit card several times. Each time, the credit issuer resolved the matter to my satisfaction when the merchant would not.

I have had a problem with a debit card purchase exactly once. The same transaction posted twice. My bank said I would have to resolve the matter with the merchant myself. The same bank which was extremely helpful with purchases via credit card.

I prefer credit cards. If you prefer debit cards, by all means, use them. I use my debit card ONLY as an ATM card.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:50 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Or maybe a person has enough liquid assets that they don't need to use credit ! I do spend a lot on my hobby, but I do it with cash or my debit card. I have no bills hanging over my head, and if the bottom drops out of my world I won't owe anyone anything.

I was a Credit Manager for most of my business life (both personal and industrial) and I saw so many people who had that noose around their neck every month. Not me, I wake up every morning debt free and go to bed the same way. It is a very liberating feeling and something most people will never be able to enjoy.

Just because you feel the need to have them, don't think everyone else has to.

Don
Credit cards and debt are not synonymous. Charge something, log on to your bank account and set up a bill payment. Where is the debt? There isn't any.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:10 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,606,453 times
For me, it's frequent flyer miles, smaller/no deposits for rental cars and limiting access by fraudsters to my main account.

Quote:
For me the difference is that with debit the money's gone and I have to try and get it back, with credit I argue before paying the bill. Also, since my bills come out of my debit card, if that's compromised coughtargetandhomedepotcough it disrupts everything. If nothing else relies on the card that's "exposed" by being used all over the place then it's not a huge problem when the bank has to cancel and reissue it.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:11 PM

810 posts, read 1,448,997 times
Ugly thread, this.

I use a card for most transactions mostly because my hands don't work so well, and fumbling with cash takes an amount of time that annoys people.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:28 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
Quote:
You misunderstand.

Your making claims that visa says are not true, and are trying to debate with me abut it.

I'm telling you to quite arguing with me, but go talk to visa, because they say you are wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
I have had problems with purchases via credit card several times. Each time, the credit issuer resolved the matter to my satisfaction when the merchant would not.

I have had a problem with a debit card purchase exactly once. The same transaction posted twice. My bank said I would have to resolve the matter with the merchant myself. The same bank which was extremely helpful with purchases via credit card.

I prefer credit cards. If you prefer debit cards, by all means, use them. I use my debit card ONLY as an ATM card.
I suspect there is more to this story....

By all means, use what you like, I was meerly responding to the false information given by those who have no real world experence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics