Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2015, 10:56 AM

13,139 posts, read 22,752,235 times

Advertisements

It took a horrible decade-long depression and apocalyptic world war to resolve the inequality problem last time. It will probably require the same "solution" this time too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 10:59 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,675,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Certain ones, what makes the one in question universal and timeless?
I consider that truth to be self evident.
If you don't... I really feel sorry for you.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:55 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,384,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
It took a horrible decade-long depression and apocalyptic world war to resolve the inequality problem last time. It will probably require the same "solution" this time too.
Nope. It's really not that hard.

Increase taxes on the high-income earners.
Tax investment income the same as labor.
Knock off the giveaways to Wall street.
Forgive all Student Loans.
Make Higher Education tuition-free.

The solutions aren't hard.. we just sell our politicians to the highest bidder.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:11 PM

574 posts, read 694,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post

Sounds like a prescription for utterly destroying the economy. Let's go one-by one.

Quote:
The rich already pay a disproportionate amount of money compared to their income. Do you really want to discourage people from from working their way up even more than they already are?

Quote:
In other words, you don't want people investing? How do new businesses get started? How can existing business grow? How do we get more jobs? Through investors. Investing is already the only way to get a decent return on your money. Do you want to end that too?

Quote:
I assume you mean bail-outs and subsidies? Fully with you here - no one should get a free lunch.

Quote:
What about the people like me who lived in a studio apartment out of college and didn't spend much in order to pay off their student debt? I'm now living debt-free. Are you going to reward those who were financially irresponsible?

Quote:
Make Higher Education tuition-free
So the only way to get a decent job will be to get a PhD? A bachelor's is already a minimum standard for any decent job. You're simply causing education be be even more devalued.

It's pretty simple:
  • If you tax something, you discourage it
  • If you give something away, you devalue it.
Think about the consequences of what you're suggesting. For example, rather than making higher education free, you might think about why it is expensive, or better yet why it is necessary at all. Why do people need to spend 4 years and boatloads of money to get a piece of paper, when they forget everything after they leave school? Why do we have so many more administrators, and school gyms, and sports teams, and worthless "required" classes today? What is the real point of education? But this kind of thinking isn't politically expedient.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:24 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,675,254 times
Quote:
Well, it's not hard to write down some ideas.

And if your magic wand is in good order you might even be able to
wave all of those several VERY complicated changes into existence all at once.

However, back in the real world... not quite.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:34 PM

2,394 posts, read 2,999,527 times
Quote:

This is a really stupid idea which will do nothing to address the so-called problem you think you see.

It will:

Lead to increased costs for college education
At the margin, more students who will not benefit economically from a college education will go to college
Raise taxes driving even more industries to move to lower tax environments

Old 01-12-2015, 01:32 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,298 posts, read 80,577,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
This is a really stupid idea which will do nothing to address the so-called problem you think you see.

It will:

At the margin, more students who will not benefit economically from a college education will go to college

I don't care how much you raise taxes, there will not be enough money to operate colleges tuition-free. If
it were possible, the same problems will exist that the new presidential plan for free community college will present. Not nearly enough room for the numbers of students. Even now people are turned down and need the highest grades, test scores and maybe even community service and interviews to be accepted, in addition to the $10,000-40,000+ tuition.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentGrad1 View Post
Sounds like a prescription for utterly destroying the economy. Let's go one-by one.

The rich already pay a disproportionate amount of money compared to their income. Do you really want to discourage people from from working their way up even more than they already are?
Please provide evidence for your thesis.

You are arguing that taxing the rich discourages people from trying to get rich.

Laughable.

Quote:
In other words, you don't want people investing? How do new businesses get started? How can existing business grow? How do we get more jobs? Through investors. Investing is already the only way to get a decent return on your money. Do you want to end that too?
I didn't propose that at all. I said stop giving favorable treatment to investment income, which is predicated on loosely regulated financial speculation. We get more jobs by increasing consumer demand, not pampering Wall Street jerk offs.

Quote:
I assume you mean bail-outs and subsidies? Fully with you here - no one should get a free lunch.
Correct.

Quote:
What about the people like me who lived in a studio apartment out of college and didn't spend much in order to pay off their student debt? I'm now living debt-free. Are you going to reward those who were financially irresponsible?
Do you want a cookie?

My proposals are what's best for the economy, not to pat people on the ass. That's what your parents are for; not public policy.

It is bad policy to discourage education. The way we fund higher education discourages education. If we want to encourage higher education, we need to either pay students to go to school or offer free tuition. Other developed countries are already implementing this. Do they know something we don't?

Quote:
So the only way to get a decent job will be to get a PhD? A bachelor's is already a minimum standard for any decent job. You're simply causing education be be even more devalued.
As I said in another thread, education is not synonymous with job training. Education is to develop critical critical thinking skills that can help you in your profession and help society advance.

Quote:
It's pretty simple:
  • If you tax something, you discourage it
  • If you give something away, you devalue it.

Think about the consequences of what you're suggesting. For example, rather than making higher education free, you might think about why it is expensive, or better yet why it is necessary at all. Why do people need to spend 4 years and boatloads of money to get a piece of paper, when they forget everything after they leave school? Why do we have so many more administrators, and school gyms, and sports teams, and worthless "required" classes today? What is the real point of education? But this kind of thinking isn't politically expedient.
I am well aware of why higher education is expensive and necessary. It is expensive because our political system allows the government to subsidize private institutions that are selling a service much like anything else. Privatized education has never led to any result other than widening the gap between the rich and the poor. It creates a scenario where education becomes dependent on the wealth of the parents. But you're okay with this scenario.

College education should be tuition free, and every student in this country should strive to reach the highest levels of education. College is not a jobs training program, as I've said before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Well, it's not hard to write down some ideas.

And if your magic wand is in good order you might even be able to
wave all of those several VERY complicated changes into existence all at once.

However, back in the real world... not quite.
"back in the real world" you still have no argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post

It will:

Not really. If every student has access to a public college education, what happens to the cost of privatized colleges?

Wait, do you still believe that Federal spending depends on Federal tax revenue? Nice idea, but completely fallacious. The federal government is monetarily sovereign; it can pay any bill of any size at any time. It issues an order to the commercial bank to credit the account of the party in question. Poof!

Old 01-12-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I don't care how much you raise taxes, there will not be enough money to operate colleges tuition-free. If
it were possible, the same problems will exist that the new presidential plan for free community college will present. Not nearly enough room for the numbers of students. Even now people are turned down and need the highest grades, test scores and maybe even community service and interviews to be accepted, in addition to the $10,000-40,000+ tuition.
Public colleges there absolutely will be. The Federal government is not limited in the amount of dollars it can create. Do you think the Federal government can "run out of money?" The states aren't footing the bill for these free-tuition plans...

Old 01-12-2015, 02:46 PM

574 posts, read 694,887 times
Quote:
Please provide evidence for your thesis.

You are arguing that taxing the rich discourages people from trying to get rich.

Laughable.
If I double my income but net no additional money, why would I want to work more to increase my income? This is the problem with a progressive tax rate. The more you increase taxes on higher incomes, the less motivated people are to make that additional income. And oftentimes obtaining that additional income will require employing another person, which means more jobs.

Quote:
I didn't propose that at all. I said stop giving favorable treatment to investment income, which is predicated on loosely regulated financial speculation. We get more jobs by increasing consumer demand, not pampering Wall Street jerk offs.
Business doesn't work without money invested in it. Trust me on this one - I work in business.

And it's not just Wall Street investors. I've got money in the market too. So do you, probably. What do you plan to do with that money when it no longer is profitable to hold it due to taxes? Depend on Social Security in your retirement? Good luck with that.

Quote:
It is bad policy to discourage education.
Citation needed. I think most jobs today that "require" a college degree do not actually need one. And the skills of reading, writing and arithmetic used to be learned by the end of 8th grade. Nowadays many high school graduates don't seem to have these skills. There's something deeply wrong with our education system, and giving students free college won't fix it.

Quote:
The way we fund higher education discourages education. If we want to encourage higher education, we need to either pay students to go to school or offer free tuition.
The college education system is wasteful, corrupt, and broken. I see no reason to continue to fund this system. What about moving beyond an education system that hasn't changed since the ancient Greeks to a 21st century system of learning?

Quote:
Other developed countries are already implementing this. Do they know something we don't?
Ah, the Bandwagon Fallacy. Just because everything else is doing it doesn't mean it's correct? I thought we had grown up and didn't suffer from peer pressure anymore.

Quote:
As I said in another thread, education is not synonymous with job training. Education is to develop critical critical thinking skills that can help you in your profession and help society advance.
I got my degree to increase my chances of getting a job. Numerous studies have shown that college education does not teach critical thinking skills.

Quote:
I am well aware of why higher education is expensive and necessary.
You've yet to prove that it's necessary.

Quote:
It is expensive because our political system allows the government to subsidize private institutions that are selling a service much like anything else. Privatized education has never led to any result other than widening the gap between the rich and the poor. It creates a scenario where education becomes dependent on the wealth of the parents. But you're okay with this scenario.

College education should be tuition free, and every student in this country should strive to reach the highest levels of education. College is not a jobs training program, as I've said before.
Education can be obtained outside of the 4 walls of a university education. I've found I've learned far more outside of college than in. And while I learned quite a bit in college, it was due to my attitude of being a lifelong learner, not due the the education itself.

You can't force people to think critically if they don't want to. And college doesn't change that one way or the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics