Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2015, 04:02 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,235,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Reread my post. For many highly educated professionals, the salaries in flyover country are HIGHER than they are in places like SF and NYC, even though the cost of living in flyover country is lower. And the reason for that is precisely because more people would prefer to live in SF or NYC than Fargo, SD. The higher salaries are necessary for recruitment. If you're one of the people who's willing to relocate to one of those unpopular areas, it can pay off very handsomely.

I'm earning over 30% more working in Omaha than I'd be earning if I was working in the same field on either coast - and with a lower cost of living, to boot. Any time my hospital needs to recruit someone new, we know it may take upwards of a year to hire someone, despite the excellent salaries offered, because most medical professionals won't even consider relocating here - the ones that do typically grew up in the area. I don't blame people who grew up in high cost-of-living areas for wanting to stay in their familiar haunts, but they absolutely shouldn't assume that the only place they will be paid well is NYC. It's often not the case.
This is valid for many professional fields, and the more specialized the profession, the more this rings true.

I get calls from recruiters all the time to work in NYC, and the pay is never adequate without even factoring in the 2x cost-of-living compared to many other cities. However, when I get a call from a recruiter in a rural area, the pay is inevitably higher.

(...and Fargo is in North Dakota!)

Old 01-28-2015, 04:04 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,261,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
Thanks. I didn't intend on sounding self righteous your situation sounded pretty awful. Having no parental role models makes life a lot worse, and with noone to tell you not to have children etc (understandably you tried to form your own family independent from your own) life can turn awry quickly. My parents were divorced but I had enough good role models to keep me more or less on the straight and narrow, graduate college (childfree) and high school, and get a job. I'm in my mid 20s, and independent and repaying loans at an accelerated rate.

Did you ever enter the medical field? I'm not a physician but I do work in the industry And I'd recommend your children look into it. Tons of different fields outside just nurse, doctor, pharmacist as well.

Even still school is 300% more than it was in the 90s. Med school tuition in 1990 was 40,000. Now its on average about 150k. I think we need to cut the student loan program to rein these monster schools in. The government is just wildly distorting the market. That is the millenials biggest crutch. Also unaffordable housing is somewhat of a problem, though I think that'll improve once the boomers start dying off and homes flood the market.

You cannot get welfare in college thats true. But otherwise your story seems to be mutually exclusive from the time period. Crappy family situations haunt millenials as well. I knew some people in college that had their utilities shut off mid semester, and another friend get evicted and become homeless.
Thank you.

I was initially put-off by your reply, lol.

My parents divorced when I was 2....basically they were in line for a divorce just as soon as no-fault divorce became legal in California back in 1970. My dad remarried a year later and remained married to my stepmom until his death in 1985. My mom never remarried, but the perve boyfriend I've referred to entered her life when I was 11 (1978) and she basically kept him around until he finally died last year. She chose him over her own children, and now she wonders why she's old and alone.

I am in the medical field, yes. Although I took a few detours along the way due to further unforeseen circumstances that emerged. I had many many struggles throughout all of my adulthood as it turns out, and my student loan debt is, well....frightening, to say the least. However, I'll take it over NOT having gone to college at all. This is the part where I accept the consequences of my own decision, rather than complain about how I couldn't go to college debt-free, etc.

My relationship with my mom is pretty minuscule for reasons given in my other post...so there were never any resources outside myself to rely upon. Even if there were, all that I might have asked for from her or my dad had he lived would have been a little help. I never would have expected or wanted my parents to bankroll me through my adulthood. I have way too much pride for that! LOL

The thing is too....I think younger people now DO have higher expectations. It certainly seems to me based on my experiences with my millennial children (daughter and step kids are all millennials....my son is only 7, so not sure what you call his generation yet) and the other millennials I've gotten to know over the years is that they are LESS willing to go without than previous generations were.

I mean also that people in my own generation tended to drift from one job to the next as well, but still, most people had jobs, even if they were crap jobs, and I know very few of my own peers who lived at home throughout their 20s.

It just looks like that now most younger people EXPECT to live at home....practically until they're 30! That sort of thought process is alien to me, and yes, I had some bad things happen in my life, things I never deserved to have happen, but I didn't just throw in the towel and give up. I kept going...struggling a LOT.

Now you might see that given where I've come from and what I had to do to get where I am now....it's pretty reasonable that I am going to see the plight of the millennials as fairly benign, relatively speaking.

God knows if I can do it, anyone else can. Hell, forget me, look at the sh*t sandwich Oprah Winfrey got dealt in life....poor, black, female, abused, southern, growing up before civil rights....and look where she is now. She is living testimony to the can-do attitude I find lacking more or less in today's younger adults.

I just don't believe in sitting around, looking for reasons "I can't" do something. I do whatever it takes not to give up. This is my fundamental dispute with most of these sorts of threads.

Last edited by rhiannon67; 01-28-2015 at 04:25 PM..

Old 01-28-2015, 04:07 PM

10,355 posts, read 7,986,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
(...and Fargo is in North Dakota!)
Whoops! That will teach me not to post when I'm not adequately caffeinated!

And I'm glad to hear someone else's experience matches my own in this regard.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:09 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post

It just looks like that now most younger people EXPECT to live at home....practically until they're 30! That sort of thought process is alien to me, and yes, I had some bad things happen in my life, things I never deserved to have happen, but I didn't just throw in the towel and give up. I kept going...struggling a LOT.

Some could be cultural... I work with a lot of nurses with ties to the Philippines, Vietnam, Hong Kong, etc and they are expected to live at home until they marry unless they need to relocate for work...

Old 01-28-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Some could be cultural... I work with a lot of nurses with ties to the Philippines, Vietnam, Hong Kong, etc and they are expected to live at home until they marry unless they need to relocate for work...
Yes, that is cultural. Asian-American friends of mine have all shared similar stories about familial expectations.

This has historically not been the case for White (or Black as well) Americans.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
Yes, that is cultural. Asian-American friends of mine have all shared similar stories about familial expectations.

This has historically not been the case for White (or Black as well) Americans.
My caucasian friends tend to want to send their kids off to school... there is a real push that they need to be out there in the world... even if the folks send a check each month... although I have noticed a few exceptions with 20 something kids at home.

One told her kids they can stay at home forever as long as they are taking full college credits/working and contributing...

Old 01-28-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
My caucasian friends tend to want to send their kids off to school... there is a real push that they need to be out there in the world... even if the folks send a check each month... although I have noticed a few exceptions with 20 something kids at home.

One told her kids they can stay at home forever as long as they are taking full college credits/working and contributing...
Yes. Your first paragraph is far more applicable for white Americans.

We tend to need space after some 18+ year of kids in the house all the time

Old 01-28-2015, 04:31 PM

When I worked an assignment in Austria... I was surprised seeing several generations under one roof...

Mind you, each had their own "Living" quarters with a kitchen...

Most of the homes had been in the family for many generations...

Even those in apartments tended to be there for life.

My colleagues there had a hard time understanding how Americans move around so much... or spend lavishly for weddings... but that would be a whole new topic.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:44 PM

10,355 posts, read 7,986,475 times
Quote:
My colleagues there had a hard time understanding how Americans move around so much...
I wonder if the creation of the European Union, which has made it so much easier for Europeans to work in different countries on the continent, has increased their understanding of American mobility?

Old 01-28-2015, 05:17 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Quote:
Excellent point on homes...

My 600 square foot 1910 cottage was on the market for a year before I bought it....
In the '70s I built many 950-1100 sf 3 br starter homes that sold like hotcakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics