Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 12:20 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

Living standards in Britain are set to rise above those in America for the first time since the 19th century, according to a report by the respected Oxford Economics consultancy, the Times of London reported on Sunday.

According to the Times of London report, the calculations suggest that, measured by gross domestic product per capita, Britain can now hold its head up high in the economic stakes after more than a century of playing second fiddle to the Americans.

FOXNews.com - Report: U.K. Set to Pass U.S. in Standard of Living - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 07:27 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Living standards in Britain are set to rise above those in America for the first time since the 19th century, according to a report by the respected Oxford Economics consultancy, the Times of London reported on Sunday.

According to the Times of London report, the calculations suggest that, measured by gross domestic product per capita, Britain can now hold its head up high in the economic stakes after more than a century of playing second fiddle to the Americans.

FOXNews.com - Report: U.K. Set to Pass U.S. in Standard of Living - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News
I cannot see that as happening. They have socialized medicine over there.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:29 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,658,751 times
Much like everything else British, America will remain completely oblivious to this as well.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:01 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,884 times
I lived over there for years; the standard of living is nowhere near as good as it is here.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:05 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
America slipping down in standard of living? So, what else is new?
But we're still number 1 in bombs, prison population, rate of poverty. shooting deaths, and number of guns per capita. Hooray!!

Old 01-06-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
America slipping down in standard of living? So, what else is new?
But we're still number 1 in bombs, prison population, rate of poverty. shooting deaths, and number of guns per capita. Hooray!!
BS; the UK has a higher poverty rate than we do, by a considerable margin might I add.

Switzerland has more guns per capita than we do and South Africa has more firearm murders per capita than we do.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:27 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,056,807 times
Default USA poverty at 32 year high

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Much like everything else British, America will remain completely oblivious to this as well.
Is that something to be proud of? I hope not

Frighteningly, we may be falling even further behind, possibly toward another depression. The warning signs are there but we are ignoring them. Arrogant? Us????

Welcome to Richistan, USA | World | The Observer

Old 01-07-2008, 08:37 AM

45 posts, read 36,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
BS; the UK has a higher poverty rate than we do, by a considerable margin might I add.

Switzerland has more guns per capita than we do and South Africa has more firearm murders per capita than we do.
The definition of poverty will vary from region to region. Also, don't the lower middle income and middle income enjoy a higher standard of living knowing that while they may not have the best healthcare money can buy, they won't be retroactively denied for many necessary procedures and medical care?

As for the argument about public/private healthcare, you either socialize or privatize. Straddling the fence as we do in America will force us to socialize. It is an inevitability. LASIK is an example of a procedure that is almost completely privatized, pricing is transparent, and competition abounds. Those who think we have true private health care in this country really do drink the kool-aid. You can thank parasite K-street lobbyists like Thompson and/or bloodsucking trial lawyers like Edwards for the misery our system entails.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callahan12 View Post
The definition of poverty will vary from region to region. Also, don't the lower middle income and middle income enjoy a higher standard of living knowing that while they may not have the best healthcare money can buy, they won't be retroactively denied for many necessary procedures and medical care?
This is according to the CIA Factbook. I invite you to argue that point with them. I saw with my own two eyes deprivation in the UK that I have never seen in the US, and even in middle-class areas there is deprivation. People just don't have money to throw around. To me, most of the UK looked dumpy, ghettoized, and poor. My ex and I were solidly middle-class there and I make almost as much on my own here in the US that the two of us made combined over there. My money also goes further here.

Quote:
As for the argument about public/private healthcare, you either socialize or privatize. Straddling the fence as we do in America will force us to socialize. It is an inevitability. LASIK is an example of a procedure that is almost completely privatized, pricing is transparent, and competition abounds. Those who think we have true private health care in this country really do drink the kool-aid. You can thank parasite K-street lobbyists like Thompson and/or bloodsucking trial lawyers like Edwards for the misery our system entails.
I didn't say anything about healthcare and don't care to have that particular argument for the zillionth time. Sorry.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:45 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,056,807 times
Overall here poverty is getting worse, and it really doesn't matter if the UK is nicer or nastier - we need to address our own problems. Statistics coming from the UK are useful and should serve to highlight our own difficulties. If we get distracted by defensive comparisons we'll miss the real facts such as:

In 2005 the top one per cent of earners in the US gained 14 per cent in income in real terms, while the rest of the country gained less than one per cent. The situation is especially bad for the severely poor - those living at half the poverty level - whose numbers are at a 32-year high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics