U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 08:51 AM

3,367 posts, read 10,402,938 times

Advertisements

Britons 'richer than Americans'
BBC NEWS | Business | Britons 'richer than Americans'
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 09:27 AM

2,691 posts, read 3,750,631 times
Probably 'cause they don't have to shell out $1K/month for health insurance.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:08 AM

45 posts, read 31,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
Currency value is very much related to wealth, especially with regards to the middle class. Canadians are also approaching parity with US in terms of middle class wealth.

This video might shed some light on the problem. Of course it's an intrinsic ad for RP, but then again all collapsing dollar videos seem to be tied to his campaign.

YouTube - Ron Paul : House of Cards

Old 01-07-2008, 10:19 AM

3,589 posts, read 3,468,967 times
Growth in the UK economy (they're usually a couple of years behind the curve) plus the strength of the pound relative to the dollar is almost certainly to blame for this.

Having lived in the UK and having only recently left, I can say without a doubt that my standard of living has improved immensely by coming back to the United States, and I was constantly depressed by the small, cramped accomodations there, the outrageous expense of everything, the low quality in comparison to price, and the jaw-dropping amount of consumer debt...and the lifestyle that that debt buys isn't nearly as good as what it'd buy you here.

Don't be fooled.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:29 AM

45 posts, read 31,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Growth in the UK economy (they're usually a couple of years behind the curve) plus the strength of the pound relative to the dollar is almost certainly to blame for this.

Having lived in the UK and having only recently left, I can say without a doubt that my standard of living has improved immensely by coming back to the United States, and I was constantly depressed by the small, cramped accomodations there, the outrageous expense of everything, the low quality in comparison to price, and the jaw-dropping amount of consumer debt...and the lifestyle that that debt buys isn't nearly as good as what it'd buy you here.

Don't be fooled.
While I do not know the exact living standards of UK citizens, I will maintain that the US standard of living is an illusion, especially for the middle class. YOU see BMWs, big boats, RVs navigating American roads. What I see is the Dad and Mom both working 60+ hour/week just to afford to keep payments (not even own, mind you) on their toys. $900B worth of consumer debt about to explode in our faces when foreigners no longer wish to bear the burden of the American consumer is a good thing?

Same here. Don't be fooled at the sweet gadgets and toys that the average person owns here. Subprime is just the tip of the iceburg.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:48 AM

1,845 posts, read 3,995,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callahan12 View Post
While I do not know the exact living standards of UK citizens, I will maintain that the US standard of living is an illusion, especially for the middle class. YOU see BMWs, big boats, RVs navigating American roads. What I see is the Dad and Mom both working 60+ hour/week just to afford to keep payments (not even own, mind you) on their toys. $900B worth of consumer debt about to explode in our faces when foreigners no longer wish to bear the burden of the American consumer is a good thing?

Same here. Don't be fooled at the sweet gadgets and toys that the average person owns here. Subprime is just the tip of the iceburg.
Cal

I read the article this morning. The average UK resident makes a bit more than the average American. Mostly due to currency fluctuation. But in the UK a movie is about 24 bucks. A happy meal is about 9 bucks and Starbucks cappuccino is about 5 bucks. Their property is more inflated than that in the US. When the sub prime problem came to light, Northern Rock in the UK had bank runs. There are of course problems here, Native Dallas was just trying to share her observations.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:01 PM

4,429 posts, read 5,957,022 times
Default Yeah.

Recession fears weigh on FTSE - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Old 01-07-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
Cal

I read the article this morning. The average UK resident makes a bit more than the average American. Mostly due to currency fluctuation. But in the UK a movie is about 24 bucks. A happy meal is about 9 bucks and Starbucks cappuccino is about 5 bucks. Their property is more inflated than that in the US. When the sub prime problem came to light, Northern Rock in the UK had bank runs. There are of course problems here, Native Dallas was just trying to share her observations.
Cal was pointing out the American obsession with luxuries - which you further illustrate. Mcdonalds and Starbucks are not the best examples of UK items, as they are US companies.

But as far as home-grown necessitites goes, a loaf of organic bread in the UK is about $1.50!

Old 01-07-2008, 12:04 PM

10,420 posts, read 46,548,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post

Yea but they have to shell out $2000 a month for gas.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Yea but they have to shell out $2000 a month for gas.
The price of gas is way higher there, but their cars run at about 3x the average fuel economy of our favoured guzzlers plus the cars are less over-powered, so cost less. And they use diesel more. Road tax is high but the road system is very advanced compared to ours (smaller country + more money spent).

We could go on forever like this..... or we could try and learn from the UK's good stuff and vice versa???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics