Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 06:49 AM

353 posts, read 604,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarasotaBound1 View Post
I don't think the impact would be catastrophic. But I don't advocate for removing SNAP, I would simply limit what you could buy with it to pure necessities like milk, veggies, rice, beans... after all, you should only needed and use it as a necessity.

Also, how could you have issues if you lose SNAP if you only pay a fraction of an already low rent, no phone and no health care. I know people paying 2000 in rent, 800 in health insurance a month, plus 100 for the cell phone. All while not qualifying for SNAP. And many of those on SNAP forge their incomes/situation to qualify.

That's the issue with social programs, they tend to favor a group at the expense of the other.

So now you are advocating for people with money who make poor budgeting decisions?? If you're paying $2000 a month for rent and you can't afford to buy food, you need to move to a cheaper place. It's your decision to over-spend on a house. And you're an idiot if you are paying $100 a month for a cellphone in this day and age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 06:56 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarLatGo View Post
So now you are advocating for people with money who make poor budgeting decisions?? If you're paying $2000 a month for rent and you can't afford to buy food, you need to move to a cheaper place. It's your decision to over-spend on a house. And you're an idiot if you are paying $100 a month for a cellphone in this day and age.

My rent is so high (and my income is so low) that I can't afford to move to a cheaper place because after paying rent I don't have the upfront cash required to move into a cheaper place

Old 01-17-2015, 06:59 AM

657 posts, read 695,109 times
Quote:
@SarasotaBound1 So you believe people who can't afford food should just starve?
A do Gooder in the midst. Good question.

My answer is no, they should not be allowed to starve, within the confines of a balanced budget. You want to help the poor more as a nation, raise taxes to do so. SNAP should not be a "get what want" program though, it should be limited to purely basic necessities, like veggies, milk, etc.. they shouldn't be allowed to buy tenderloins. Heck, I can't eat tenderloin and make a decent salary.

However, the above is not what happens. The government runs a never ending deficit, which is an additional tax, on top of regular taxes. Are you surprised that the middle class is now poor? The problem is that people don't know the difference and they now see handouts as a "good deed" without knowing they are that they are giving up their middle income status for it. So help the poor so much that the middle income class becomes poor in the process.

Good example, Obama care. Everyone now has coverage. Health insurance costs more than double and you can't get an appointment. You are helping the non covered at the expense of the covered. Of course the previously covered still can't figure out that their rates are higher because of Obama care. The government acts like a con artist, blaming it on "evil" corporations.

But aside from that, the question you should be asking is: is everyone free to chose on your "help" proposals? The answer is no because for the government to "give" anything, it has to either tax people (which I agree with) or going into debt (which I don't).

When the government taxes, it's being transparent and it's clear that the majority wants such programs. When the government borrows and blames inflation on evil corporations or the boogie man, it dilutes the incomes of the middle class and slowly turns them into poor.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Only if they have children. A childless full time miimum wage worker pays over $500 in federal income tax plus more than $2,000 in payroll taxes if you include the employer's share.

Although I do not at all entertain the notion that these employees would be paid one cent more if the employer's share of SS taxes magically went away.
You will get the benefits when you retire. These numbers stand..

Old 01-17-2015, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Oh wow... This is what we have created as a nation, monsters. There is a saying, raise crow's and they will take your eyes out.

You are telling me it's fine for people on SNAP to drive nice SUVs, eat all they want, get a free phone, get free healthcare while telling the folks that pay for it that they should not be able to send their children to a good school and should move. This is while poor gets to wake up at any time they wish, no reason to hit the cold, the snow, no reason to spend gas/wear and tear unless you wish.

Moderator cut: personal attacks

Last edited by Marka; 01-19-2015 at 03:31 AM..

Old 01-17-2015, 08:04 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
There are many taxes that take exactly the same bite out of rich and poor alike. A millionaire driving his Lexus to the country club pays exactly the same fuel tax as the single mom driving her old beater to mop the floors at the country club that night. They also pay the same car registration, title and emissions inspection fee, and throw the same number of quarters in the toll basket. And the same fine for any traffic ticket, but the mopper mom doesn't have a lawyer friend who will get her off. Don't pretend traffic fines are not taxes.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:46 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
You will get the benefits when you retire. These numbers stand..
I have never been sure the money will be there when I retire.........so I do not pay into the system.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:49 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
You paid a part of social security, same with Medicaid. By the time you retire, cost of living is way higher and will eat up your contribution in no time.

The CBO is not lying, but as I said, they do average it out writhing the quartile so it won't fit every single situation. It would fit the majority in that quartile.

You do know that people and their employers contribute over their working career right? I'm not sure what you mean by " no time" but it's certainly not a break even in the first few years

http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/...-in-retirement

Old 01-17-2015, 09:36 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There are many taxes that take exactly the same bite out of rich and poor alike. A millionaire driving his Lexus to the country club pays exactly the same fuel tax as the single mom driving her old beater to mop the floors at the country club that night. They also pay the same car registration, title and emissions inspection fee, and throw the same number of quarters in the toll basket. And the same fine for any traffic ticket, but the mopper mom doesn't have a lawyer friend who will get her off. Don't pretend traffic fines are not taxes.
I can tell you one difference.

The millionaire could be a millionaire because they used the tax system to write off their gas....registration......title.....emission fees.

And if they lease that Lexus......that too is a write off.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:37 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I can tell you one difference.

The millionaire could be a millionaire because they used the tax system to write off their gas....registration......title.....emission fees.

And if they lease that Lexus......that too is a write off.

Most millionaires I know can't write off any of those
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics