Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2015, 11:11 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,634,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Regressive is a bad thing to poor people.
It's unavoidable. How would we implement a sliding sales tax rate based on customer income?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 11:15 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,259,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Adam Smith -- who wrote the original playbook for capitalism -- was in favor of a progressive tax:

I think I should pay more in taxes. Without a doubt. I don't contribute very much to our economy. I don't buy many things. Mostly I invest. If everyone at my income level (and higher) paid more in taxes, we could finally do something about our staggering debt. (And let's lay the debt blame where it belongs -- our insane military adventures. We cannot fix our deficits and our debt just by removing what's left of our social safety net.)

Some light reading about taxation (and quite entertaining): Stephen King: Tax Me, for F@%&

And if we raised minimum wage, it would also help to reduce the total size of our government: The Pitchforks Are Coming
Small point, but neither the deficit nor debt actually matter. They aren't irrelevant, but they don't matter to the extent that we need to worry about repayment.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:17 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,259,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
It's unavoidable. How would we implement a sliding sales tax rate based on customer income?
You can't realistically. That's why most places rely on income taxes.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:08 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,519,807 times
Quote:
Well, you could do it on a one year delay--set a certain sales tax and discount it when a purchaser shows a card that indicates their income level was below a certain level. You could also just replace sales tax with more income tax, and allocate the tax to people above a certain income level.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:11 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,576,919 times
Quote:
There could rebates at tax time. I get to claim a sales tax deduction when I file my federal income taxes

Old 01-22-2015, 12:33 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Well, you could do it on a one year delay--set a certain sales tax and discount it when a purchaser shows a card that indicates their income level was below a certain level. You could also just replace sales tax with more income tax, and allocate the tax to people above a certain income level.
No, that won't work. They would have to also raise it for everyone else to make up the deficit, and there's no way to know in advance how much those people would buy that year to set the new higher rate for the others.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:33 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,449,790 times
Quote:

It's avoidable by not having a sales tax. One way to reduce the regressivity of a sales tax is to exempt used items. I don't think states should get more than one bite at a sales tax apple.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:39 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,449,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
From the second article I linked:

"The most insidious thing about trickle-down economics isn’t believing that if the rich get richer, it’s good for the economy. It’s believing that if the poor get richer, it’s bad for the economy."

That article is one of the better breakdowns of what is wrong with our economy, and what can be done to fix it. I agree wholeheartedly that we should be focusing on a "middle-out" instead of a "top-down" strategy for economic growth. That's where all the numbers are, anyway. The "money that moves" moves through what's left of the middle class. Investment money is far less useful to the economy -- by its very nature, investment is designed to pull money out of the system. Where consumption's only purpose is to put money back in.

Actually, if poor people get richer, it's bad for many people, e.g. if poor people became rich enough to buy homes, landlords would be out of business,

Old 01-22-2015, 12:43 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,634,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
There could rebates at tax time. I get to claim a sales tax deduction when I file my federal income taxes
That's true, you could file an income tax return and receive a refundable credit. It would have to be federal, at least in states with no income tax. Then the states would need to remit the refunded dollars to the federal government. Or maybe the states with no income tax would need to start one, since they just lost a big chunk of their tax base. What a mess.

Also, it does little to ease the burden of the sales tax on the poor, as they will have to front the money and wait for their refund.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:43 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,519,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
No, that won't work. They would have to also raise it for everyone else to make up the deficit, and there's no way to know in advance how much those people would buy that year to set the new higher rate for the others.
Umm, it's not that hard to forecast how much people will spend when you know how much they make. It would not take very long to develop very accurate predictions about the amount of the sales tax break for low-income people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics