Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2015, 04:54 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
if our stock certificates burn we can get them replaced too.

stock certificates do not call at 2 am with no heat or clogged toilet issues.

stocks don't take months to close or involve attorneys to write contracts

i never had to evict my stocks

stocks do not require me to pay months of real estate taxes while waiting to sell.

i have been a real estate investor for more than 25 years here in nyc. now that i am retiring we are finishing selling off all holdings.

last thing i want in retirement is the headaches of tenants and properties.
I'm not saying being a landlord isn't without its hassles. But considering you say you were a real estate investor for 25 years, why slam it as a bad investment? It's part of a diversified portfolio.

Besides, it's not going to matter if the stock certificates are extant if some moron runs the company into the ground. I see completely worthless shares of stock for sale in antique stores all the time. Someone originally bought those shares "knowing" that they'd be financial winners.

I like real estate. It's something I'm good at. That doesn't mean I dislike index funds. I like them, too. For different reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 05:14 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
That's actually irrelevant. It could be higher or could be lower, but ultimately we are talking about a current landlord that is losing money on a property.

None of that matters and was covered when I said the landlords will exit the market until it is profitable again. If we are talking about a situation where renting a property is a losing proposition the landlords will exit until they can make money again.
In landlording, the cost of the property is irrelevant. Mkay.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:16 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
In landlording, the cost of the property is irrelevant. Mkay.
If you say so.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:47 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Very few make it big by being a fulltime landlord, it's a job not a business. If you wanted to be a business then you start a property management business.

With that said, renting out a property usually pays for the bills hardly will make you rich. You want to get rich, find an asset class that's more agile to invest in.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:46 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,739,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I'm not saying being a landlord isn't without its hassles. But considering you say you were a real estate investor for 25 years, why slam it as a bad investment? It's part of a diversified portfolio.

Besides, it's not going to matter if the stock certificates are extant if some moron runs the company into the ground. I see completely worthless shares of stock for sale in antique stores all the time. Someone originally bought those shares "knowing" that they'd be financial winners.

I like real estate. It's something I'm good at. That doesn't mean I dislike index funds. I like them, too. For different reasons.
the difference is real estate is not a passive investment it is owning a real brick and mortar business . while I loved my real estate investments money wise and had one of the country's biggest real estate moguls as a partner and teacher I would never call real estate passive investing unless you were just a silent partner in a venture..

to really make good money at real estate I learned it is really a professionals game if you are not just going to try to flip some houses or want to just collect some rent.

but even doing that it is a job unto itself and in fact it is akin to buying a business. in one case you work for your money and in the other your money works for you.

comparisons to passive investing are like comparing stocks to working.

we invested in special situation kind of real estate where there were big rewards but it took someone with both connections to the deals and knowledge to work the deals and navigate things.

we owned a bunch of co-op apartments with rent stabilized tenants paying below market rents in a prestigious co-op across the street from central park . being they were baby boomers we figured a 100k buyout offer for the lease would get some to move so we could sell these 7 figure apartments. we were right and out of 9 apartments 13 years ago when we bought in to this private venture only 2 remain today

we also owned things like commercial lease rights on big storefronts on 7th ave and central park south . we sold those lease rights in march to an investor group for 8 figures in a landmark deal that was so spectacular it is all over the real estate news. we held a 10% stake in that and a 25% stake in the apartments which our son also gets a 25% stake as a partner so family wise we are in for 50%. these are the kinds of things we would never have been privy to without professionals like our partner BERNARD SPITZER. he just passed away 2 months ago ..

while we have 2 apartments left with tenants who are not taking buyouts and are at break even rent the money made on the deals we did, cover a lifetime of these 2 tenants staying.

if it was only about owning rental property the headaches vs rewards are two small for me to want to even do it.

nothing is a problem until it's a problem and no matter how carefully you screen tenants eventually the big 3 get you . DIVORCE-JOB LOSS- ILLNESS. then their problems become your problems.

those 3 are every landlords worst nightmare and can burn through cash like wild fire if evictions and damage have to be dealt with.

because of the size of these deals we can have the luxury of douglas elliman handle all aspects of the properties and their needs so they are actually passive at this point.

but the offers still stand to try to get the tenants out and sell the apartments so we are done with them and tenants in retirement.

the point is you can never compare those kinds of deals to what small landlords typically do or earn but equities on the other hand give everyone access to the same investments. anyone can select a pro they like and trust and follow their instructions in equities and do quite well long term just buying funds or even indexing a well balanced portfolio.

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-24-2015 at 03:24 AM..

Old 01-24-2015, 06:27 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
the difference is real estate is not a passive investment it is owning a real brick and mortar business . while I loved my real estate investments money wise and had one of the country's biggest real estate moguls as a partner and teacher I would never call real estate passive investing unless you were just a silent partner in a venture..

to really make good money at real estate I learned it is really a professionals game if you are not just going to try to flip some houses or want to just collect some rent.

but even doing that it is a job unto itself and in fact it is akin to buying a business. in one case you work for your money and in the other your money works for you.

comparisons to passive investing are like comparing stocks to working.

we invested in special situation kind of real estate where there were big rewards but it took someone with both connections to the deals and knowledge to work the deals and navigate things.

we owned a bunch of co-op apartments with rent stabilized tenants paying below market rents in a prestigious co-op across the street from central park . being they were baby boomers we figured a 100k buyout offer for the lease would get some to move so we could sell these 7 figure apartments. we were right and out of 9 apartments 13 years ago when we bought in to this private venture only 2 remain today

we also owned things like commercial lease rights on big storefronts on 7th ave and central park south . we sold those lease rights in march to an investor group for 8 figures in a landmark deal that was so spectacular it is all over the real estate news. we held a 10% stake in that and a 25% stake in the apartments which our son also gets a 25% stake as a partner so family wise we are in for 50%. these are the kinds of things we would never have been privy to without professionals like our partner BERNARD SPITZER. he just passed away 2 months ago ..

while we have 2 apartments left with tenants who are not taking buyouts and are at break even rent the money made on the deals we did, cover a lifetime of these 2 tenants staying.

if it was only about owning rental property the headaches vs rewards are two small for me to want to even do it.

nothing is a problem until it's a problem and no matter how carefully you screen tenants eventually the big 3 get you . DIVORCE-JOB LOSS- ILLNESS. then their problems become your problems.

those 3 are every landlords worst nightmare and can burn through cash like wild fire if evictions and damage have to be dealt with.

because of the size of these deals we can have the luxury of douglas elliman handle all aspects of the properties and their needs so they are actually passive at this point.

but the offers still stand to try to get the tenants out and sell the apartments so we are done with them and tenants in retirement.

the point is you can never compare those kinds of deals to what small landlords typically do or earn but equities on the other hand give everyone access to the same investments. anyone can select a pro they like and trust and follow their instructions in equities and do quite well long term just buying funds or even indexing a well balanced portfolio.

I'm surprised there isn't an insurance product available to landlords for that. Those are known risks, and while not quantifiable by individual landlords, are certainly quantifyable over large numbers by insurers.

I love those huge real estate deals where the buyer makes more in the deal than a dozen burger flippers make in their entire lifetimes.

"But the buyer created all that value!"

Looks to me like a boatload of tenants just lost a boatload of value because that's where the dollars are going to come from.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:34 AM

they are sooooooo common it would be a losing deal for an insurer. it is almost a 100% guaranteed payed out claim for them at some point but i am sure someone for a price will offer it.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:51 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
they are sooooooo common it would be a losing deal for an insurer. it is almost a 100% guaranteed payed out claim for them at some point but i am sure someone for a price will offer it.

If such an insurance product were on the market, insurers would get really good at quantifying those risks, which in turn would change tenant selection practices.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:59 AM

it is almost impossible to screen for the big three. our mgmt. company sticks a microscope up the butt of those that apply. but those 3 issues come right from left field after the fact they are tenants.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I'm surprised there isn't an insurance product available to landlords for that. Those are known risks, and while not quantifiable by individual landlords, are certainly quantifyable over large numbers by insurers.

I love those huge real estate deals where the buyer makes more in the deal than a dozen burger flippers make in their entire lifetimes.

"But the buyer created all that value!"

Looks to me like a boatload of tenants just lost a boatload of value because that's where the dollars are going to come from.
or those tenants avoided a lot of risk and loss if things don't pan out. it is always great Monday morning quarterbacking a deal that worked out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics